Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

100 Night Elf Hunter
Won't believe what the developers say.

Won't believe what a CM says.

Definitely won't believe ANYTHING an MVP says EVER.

What will people believe?

Some random internet guy with a poorly written blog who cites their own forum posts as evidence.

Random people because everything on the internet is true.
6 Troll Druid

again some1 with no idea about linux and hardware....

ive 5 computers (2 pc's 3 laptops) here (not all mine ofc)

and i can GUARANTEE u that if i install:
1)the same linux distri on everyone of those machine, that i will get at least 5 different hardware parts that require certain drivers/packages to work
2)a different linux distri: the number of unsupported hardware and steps i have to go through to make it work, may well be higher

to get a computer running and everything single piece of hardware working under unix can mean A LOT of trouble.

=> there is 100.000s different linux configurations out there (probably just for ubuntu... counting other distris, the number would be WAY higher)

and that blizzards "extansive testing" sure as hell didnt cover all of those possibilities.

Blizz tested like 2 days and found no error and u guys srsly believe that there DEFINETLY is no error with certain configurations? <--LMFAO

What would you have them to do?
Test 1000000000 configurations?
MVP
View profile
07/03/2012 01:40 AMPosted by Ryaskybird
Some random internet guy with a poorly written blog who cites their own forum posts as evidence.

In Excel that's called a circular reference.
Linux is an open source free operating system,

WINE is a way for you to run windows applications through linux.

Thanks for the answer...could this really be what's getting people banned? I didn't read through 32 pages to catch up but has anyone other than the OP been banned for just running linux?

You should have read the thread because the OP never was banned. His friend claimed to have been banned for running Linux.

A blue posted and said no, it was for cheating.
6 Troll Druid

Sounds like Wizard's First Rule...
why dosn't everyone make anew post unban linux users and spam forum threads.
07/03/2012 01:35 AMPosted by Baneusprime

I don't trust you. I don't have a reason to trust you. You are the mouth of Sauron to me.

I want proof that all of those people were cheating, until than you are just trying to save face

I want your proof that they didn't. Go on. Five minutes.

... Are you being serious right now? You can't prove a negative like that. It just doesn't work.
Three people out of however many use wine got banned.

Must be wine, they couldn't have been cheating. Impossible.
90 Human Warrior

I want your proof that they didn't. Go on. Five minutes.

... Are you being serious right now? You can't prove a negative like that. It just doesn't work.

Dead serious. And the proof he was looking for was in the linked WINEHQ thread. I'll bet he didn't bother to look. I did. I read all 14 posts by the 4 users and then I read both of the blog posts by Mitch on two other sites. 4 people do not warrant a massive witch-hunt by uninformed randoms with access to blog writing sites.
Why use linux for gaming?

Dual boot windows and not struggle with this senseless sh!t
This is a joke. There known botters out there and you ban people using wine and Linux. Sort your !@#$ out blizzard.
MVP
View profile
Dual boot windows and not struggle with this senseless [expletive deleted]

Ubuntu can even be installed inside Windows.

It works quite nicely actually. (Well, unless you have a dirty bit on your HDD then things can get hairy)

<3 WUBI.
Edited by Drothvader#1215 on 7/3/2012 1:54 AM PDT
It is strange when some people claim "6%" for linux...

Lets see some source:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201106-201206-bar

Well, it is part of an 1-2% "other" group. Well it is 0.82%. In other similar sources it is even lower. I think there is a difference between an OS with about 7% market share, and an OS with 0.8% market share.

But lets see, linux distributions are quite different, and you have to account for a lot of differences. So the question is: how high is the market share of some Ubuntu + Gnome + Wine config with specific software versions?

Due to how Wine hides stuff, it is much harder to support linux.

Dead serious. And the proof he was looking for was in the linked WINEHQ thread. I'll bet he didn't bother to look. I did. I read all 14 posts by the 4 users and then I read both of the blog posts by Mitch on two other sites. 4 people do not warrant a massive witch-hunt by uninformed randoms with access to blog writing sites.

I was asking if YOU were being serious. You asked him to prove that something didn't happen, which can't really be done. I might as well ask you for proof that Blizzard doesn't have a vendetta against Linux users because their CEO was once beaten up by Linus Torvalds. Go on. Five minutes.
90 Human Warrior

I was asking if YOU were being serious. You asked him to prove that something didn't happen, which can't really be done. I might as well ask you for proof that Blizzard doesn't have a vendetta against Linux users because their CEO was once beaten up by Linus Torvalds. Go on. Five minutes.

Don't think I will. See , that's all he had to do :P

I don't really like people that can't do basic research on the Internet though. Looking at one site is not research. Looking at multiple sources is better, but it pays to cross check those sources as well. "Trust no one" is a terrible way to live your life.

And as for the other little "debate" going on here - Blizzards banning policy is what it is. You can make all the arguments against it you like, but it hasn't changed for a long time (almost an eternity in Internet Years). It may change in the future, but until then "Third Party Software" is all people will get.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]