Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

What OP and others expected:
Step 1: Run Linux
Step 2: Buy Diablo 3 with the intention to bot
Step 3: Write a bot that runs in Linux
Step 4: Run it and wait to get banned
Step 5: Claim it's a false positive because you run Linux and weren't cheating
Step 6: Blizzard believes you and unbans you
Step 7: Return to botting

What actually happened:
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Good post, actually clearly wrote out and plausible for those who choose to believe it.
Won't believe what the developers say.

Won't believe what a CM says.

Definitely won't believe ANYTHING an MVP says EVER.

What will people believe?

..that one guy on the internet with a really loud voice.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
This sort of thing has come up before and it was always due to human error.

I'd love to hear about all these lies.

Sitting there saying "They lied" with nothing to back it up or even a hint of what they lied about isn't very convincing.

And in case you didn't know....games are patched all the time for many many reasons but of course the witch hunters will insist it's a cover up. Yet at the same time cry about the bugs in the game that they want fixed.

I completely understand, I would too if I were you.
That is a reasonable request, but it is not one I will yield because I am lazy and feel that if you have gone this long without feeling you have been lied to even once, you never will, and that is okay.

Including major changes in patch notes instead of pretending they never happened would be nice, but it is not a luxury I expect from big game developers.
Edited by Music#1544 on 7/3/2012 3:09 AM PDT
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original cited source: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953

That just seems like such an odd place to state "banned for using linux" if the reality is that they all cheated? On top of this I know one.

And there is a very high chance they cheated. Do not take people whining about being banned at face value. Or you will get tricked a lot.
Wow the dumbasses here.

It could easily be that over half the professional software engineers do most of their coding on linux. Some would rather not buy Windows at all. Any actual professional IT person knows Windows is one of the !@#$tiest OS out there, coding and performance wise. It just happens to be the most familiar and thus the most used.

True fact: The average Linux IT person makes more than the average Windows IT person.

Hell Linux is being used on more and more servers.

Linux not being a supported platform is nothing new. Most of the people who use it are either very computer savy, Professional IT or Software Engineers and can get around that.

Banning Linux users on the other hand is a VERY stupid idea. A lot of them have something called money and are more often rather well off.
Bump, Wine cannot be used as a hacking tool!
OK Blizzard said they test all the config around the world for detect if it's cheat or not....
But Blizzard understand that under linux a lot of people have differents version of the system and differents version of script for running diablo 3!!!

Under Linux you must need a "tier program" for running diablo 3 correctly.. So you must be ban ??

Please Blizzard don't be stupid!! Open your eyes ! and Start now to listen the community...

And you say you test?! but publish your differents config! have you test with the playonlinux script ? or directly via wine ????!!!

Blizzard please stop this !@#$! and publish more!!!! take example of RIOT !!
Microsoft is behind all this. They started the flamewar so perhaps more people would buy Windows.

*Tinfoil hat [ON]*
90 Night Elf Warrior
if you tested extensively and are so confident then why isnt linux supported ?
Edited by Rendan#1461 on 7/3/2012 3:33 AM PDT
Posting to support the plight of poor linux users who've been wrongfully banned for simply enjoying their legally purchased game, in an environment that required them to put in some work to even get the game running. Now that's heart and soul right there - nothing casual about it - setting up wine properly to run a heavy game like Diablo 3. Talk about punishing your most loyal and loving customers.

I'm not even a linux user, but my sympathies go out to every one that has been banned for doing nothing wrong.
TLDR:
1. There are tens of thousands of Linux/Wine Diablo 3 players.
2. Only 4 of them were banned.
3. Whatever they were banned for is completely unrelated to Linux or Wine
4. They were either cheaters or ran something else that turned up false positive by Warden.
5. If they were innocent, then they are pretty much screwed without possible help.

There's been forum posts going around alleging that Blizzard has been banning Linux users using Wine to play Diablo 3. Since it's posted in the Diablo 3 General forums and a Blue has responded to it, the thread has naturally became filled with trolls and retards. Amongst all the rubbish there are some accurate information which I will summarize here together with my experience and analysis as a Linux user that has been using Wine to play World of Warcraft and Diablo 3.

The forum post had links to various new sites that alleges that Blizzard has been banning Linux users, and pointed to a Winehq appdb thread http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13484 as their source. Winehq appdb is a database of Windows application which have been tested against Wine. Users user appdb collaboratively to report if their Windows application work with wine, issues they faced, solutions to work around the issues. Developers also use appdb (and the associated issue tracker) to debug issues with Wine and to fix the issues for future versions of Wine.

The appdb page for Diablo has a thread where the Blizzard ban has been discussed, and 3 users have reported that they were banned. They are william, Marcus Meng and Mitch. I looked around for other cases of Linux users being banned and the only other one I've found was a PlayOnLinux user on this thread http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html where fabioshot (and Mitch, presumably the same one from winehq appdb) claims to also have been banned.

PlayOnLinux is a software that includes Wine and automatically configures Wine to work with specific games that need tweaking to work well with Wine. For Diablo 3, this will presumably mean PlayOnLinux will include a version of Wine with the AcceptEx and the Direct3D modechange bugfixes as well as the setarch workaround the Warden issue with >4GB RAM and the taskset workaround for microstutters.

Now we need to look into context of the number of Linux users playing Diablo 3 on Wine. PlayOnLinux claims that there are at least 30000 users using PlayOnLinux to play Diablo 3. PlayOnLinux users are of course only a subset of Wine users use PlayOnLinux, so we can safely assume that the number of Linux users playing Diablo 3 on wine should number in the TENS OF THOUSANDS. This is only a small percentage of the millions of Diablo 3 players, but still a significant number of players.

Only 4 confirmed cases of Linux/Wine Diablo 3 players being banned out of tens of thousands of Linux/Wine Diablo 3 players should pretty much make it obvious that not only are Linux/Wine users are not being targetted for bans, there is no false positive issues where Linux/Wine gets falsely identified as a cheat. These 4 cases are definitely isolated cases unrelated to Linux/Wine, which can only mean 2 things:

1. These players were cheaters, and were either lying about using Linux/Wine or were running a cheat program on Linux/Wine
2. These players were running some other application/services/processes on Linux/Wine which has been falsely identified by Warden as a cheat

I'm not going to judge which of the above is true, it's really Blizzard's word against the players, and it could go either way. If the first one is true, then the players got what they deserve, and I wish all the worst for them for stirring up all these crap in the first place. Unfortunately, if the second is true, there is probably nothing that can be done to save these players.

Several years ago, World of Warcraft players using the Cedega variant of Wine to play the game in Linux all found themselves banned. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blizzard-Unbans-Linux-World-of-Warcraft-Players-40907.shtml Blizzard initially claimed that they were cheats, but after being contacted by Transgaming (the company that made Cedega) and doing further investigation, they found that they were actually false positive, and reversed the ban and crediting the banned accounts with 20 days of game time.

In this case, there were thousands of banned users that were backed by a company. What chance would 4 isolated individuals have? It doesn't help that he can't really find out more about why these 4 were banned. Bashiok writes:

"It's company policy not to discuss account actions with anyone but the account holder, or their legal guardian if applicable. It's an issue between us and them. Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did, but we feel it's important to honor the privacy of our customers, and that's a policy I personally agree with."

Now, I agree with this privacy policy, but the truth is the affected customers themselves do not have access to the reasons why they were banned beyond being accused of using a cheat. What would definitely help against false positive is Blizzard providing the customers with the name of the process that was detected and what cheat program Warden thinks that process was. This would allow innocent players to find correlation with other falsely banned players to identify the particular software that has been falsely identified as a cheat, possibly allowing the owner of the software to contact Blizzard (like Transgaming did) to help right the wrongs.

Of course, from Blizzard's point of view, doing this will likely give the cheat writers an advantage against Warden that can and will be exploited. So really, if these players were innocent, I'm pretty confident that they are totally screwed.
Edited by tangedyn#1764 on 7/3/2012 3:40 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Warrior
the attitude from blizzard of late seems very pre french revolution royalty .... learn from history or be doomed to repeat it
07/03/2012 03:37 AMPosted by Rendán
the attitude from blizzard of late seems very pre french revolution royalty .... learn from history or be doomed to repeat it

Did you bother to read a significant amount of the thread? Or did you stop after the topic title?

Simply read the post above yours simply the TLDR should prove why what you've contributed in this thread was pointless.

By your first post its obvious you read the topic and the first blue response and nothing else.
Edited by Helais#1736 on 7/3/2012 3:45 AM PDT
It's interesting when Bashiok says something that supports people's arguments, everyone likes him and loves his comments.

When Bashiok says something they don't like, everyone does not believe him or comes up with conspiracies about Blizzard.

Bashiok has said supportive things?
I guess it's possible, and I've just never heard about it because people only link to stuff when they're enraged.

The last things I remember the community openly appreciating from Bashiok were pre-Diablo III Closed Beta when we were scrounging for every scrap of information we could get. Half of it turned out to be overturned or misinformation anyway though. :(
I'm playing on Linux using WINE at home (as well as on W7 at work).
Not banned but this huge thread makes me scared to play on wine :-/
Even though blue post gives some hopes.
We'll see how it goes. But I imagine being a victim of false positive is really frustrating.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]