Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

this thread is really funny

1. only the OP is posting about being banned but he's using different names in the email quotes

2. he does the same thing on the wine website

3. yall are getting trolled

Yup, I read a lot of this thread because I used to use Wine to play WoW, the topic has some interest to me. I think you're right though, OP is trolling.

The chances that many of the people posting here have any clue how to even launch a game in WINE is really low. Most of them are all Window/Mac users here just spouting off like they have any idea what they're talking about and throwing in their 2 cents just because a blue posted on the topic.

I can't believe this trash hit 36 pages of replies, well that certainly warrants me coming in here to tell people that I never had any issues using WINE, short of it not being able to fully utilize my GPU, (for the dummies, that means my frame rates weren't as good as I wanted them to be) leading to my eventual switch back to Windows.

To any of you out there thinking that they've let warden up and start banning Linux users just for using Linux, please go hoop your hats.
Edited by Plaguemire#1699 on 7/3/2012 5:01 AM PDT
lol... linux users get banned, while gold sellers spam with impunity.. gg blizzactivision
07/03/2012 12:04 AMPosted by Helais
If they have evidence, they could end all this now by just making it public, even doing so here in this thread would effectively "douse" the flames, seeing as how this thread is being used as the source for certain gaming news sites.

It really wouldn't people will continue to believe whatever they want to believe. Look at the AH affecting drop % rumor that was addressed by one of the lead developers

Wyatt Cheng: The auction house has absolutely no effect on drop rates. There are conspiracy theories and misunderstandings, but I do want to re-iterate: there is NO interaction whatsoever. Bashiok mentioned earlier that we took the AH into account, so let me expand a little bit on that.
The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House.
For the majority of internal development, we didn't have an Auction House, and we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found -- we all did.

People still quote articles on no name sites as proof of some conspiracy.

They can claim that all they want. It's simply not credible. It's especially silly to cite that particular interview since they've changed drop rates repeatedly since adding the AH. That quote also said the game was playtested for non-AH drop rates *leveling to 60*... That's not the part of the game people are complaining about. Inferno is one massive gear check, and progression is very slow even for people who get 100% of their gear from the AH.

If they actually balanced drops that way, everyone who *did* use the AH would have godly gear in a few days. It defies all logic to claim that drop rates and AH are completely unrelated.
I cannot believe the blizzard defense force in this thread, this community may be more worse than a moba community.

I don't know where to start, the first three pages are users telling TC "you're running an unsupported os, got banned and you're acting surprised?"

Really?

Epic douchebaggery is epic.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.
I think the people from Blizzard giving such "primitive" answers (u use linux, u bad people, no refund, no unban) might have some brain damage from working as game testers for other blizzard games too, or something similar. Can't figure out how such a big company is publicly not giving a $&%" about the people who already bought the game and has an issue, it's like the worst customer support ever.

Maybe because this game does not have a monthly subscription like WoW, they only care at the moment of charging you, once they have your money, good luck... Like that post on someone who deposit $200 on RMAH, and then blizzard locking his account because it was on another region (he moved a while ago). The solution: he has to configure the account for the new region, but he would loose those $200 while doing so, that was blizzard answer. Blizzard had no issue receiving the money, but when he tried to spend it, they did the region check and locked his account for more than 10 days without answer.

I'm really dissapointed with Blizz, having played his games since mm.. Blackthorne.. And thinking this company was the best for so long.. how could they messed up so big, there's no return in bad customer support, one who quits for that hates Blizz forever =(

EDIT: PD: I also use Wine for playing WoW and D2, was going to give it a try but seems like can't. Also was gonna try running it on a macosx86, now it seems like someone who wants to play while trying different OS's can't do that anymore without risk of ban.
Edited by die#1495 on 7/3/2012 5:15 AM PDT
blizzturd hit rock bottom, and is now crashing through the floor and free falling into the void...

oh and all you dumb4sses that posted anything about the ban + linux being legit, go DIAF, really, I got the matches, I'll help you.
Heres the part I like: people believing that blizzard/acitvision/whoever would actually target linux/wine users. Also I love the post a couple pages back, saying that it was only /4/ users out of, probably, /tens of thousands/ users that (more than likely) are still playing it just fine.

I mean really, targeting them for no reason basically.. and yes there was that one time, but IMHO that was a special circumstance. Really nothing for them to gain from it, and would actually take some money away from their future games.
.....popcorn......

This was a solid 3 hours of epic reading.

Honor the fallen.
07/03/2012 05:18 AMPosted by DeadRu
I know what it is,have for many years. The bottom line is it is not supported. I also know the appeal of linux is the openess of the os and the ability to modify many of the operating system features. In short it is easier to run hacks ect on linux than dos. MSdos or windows 7 if you rather is a closed os that does not have it's source code floating around the internet begging to be modified. Save linux for work, or drop the pos and get windows 7. Unless you are a developer I really can't see the big draw to linux.

You're wrong on one thing: Something not being supported doesn't mean that it's bannable. It means that the developers will not help you if you have a problem with it. There is absolutely no connection between something being disallowed and something not being supported.
linux users sure do love there Whine... tehe
07/02/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

OP gets owned.

Bash +1
07/03/2012 05:18 AMPosted by DeadRu

Pretty sure you don't know what linux is.

I know what it is,have for many years. The bottom line is it is not supported. I also know the appeal of linux is the openess of the os and the ability to modify many of the operating system features. In short it is easier to run hacks ect on linux than dos. MSdos or windows 7 if you rather is a closed os that does not have it's source code floating around the internet begging to be modified. Save linux for work, or drop the pos and get windows 7. Unless you are a developer I really can't see the big draw to linux.

Please... please, I implore you. I really don't care one way or another about this thread, but for the love of all that is sacred, if all you can speak from is ignorance then just don't speak at all. Linux being open source does not, in any way, at all, in any sense, whatsoever, make it easier to "run hacks etc". Being able to modify the OS does not in ANY WAY, at ALL make it easier to hack a closed source game like Diablo 3.
07/03/2012 02:35 AMPosted by spyworld
Windows 8 also unsupported OS. Many people using Windows 8.

Ye...windows 8 has been released already >.<
Windows 8 is out?
Really!!?!?!! This is a new low, when all of your bnet games run on wine and have for years without any repercussions.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=vendor&iId=26&sAction=view&sTitle=View+Developer
07/03/2012 05:40 AMPosted by PanicKing
Windows 8 is out?

No...someone is trolling that people need to receive support on an OS that hasnt been released yet.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Because you guys never make mistakes. Dude, Diablo 3 is full of mistakes. Don't act so superior.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]