Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

90 Orc Shaman
I call shenanigans on people being banned for playing on Linux. Blizzard has been dealing with WINE for years, in fact they DID have this issue way back in vanilla WOW. One particular build of Cedega tripped a bug in Warden that caused it to be identified as botting software. Blizzard quickly issued an apology and unbanned all affected accounts, along with some free game time.

Bashiok specifically said that they are NOT banning people for playing under Linux. Something an awful lot like this happened during one of the WOW botting banwaves. A lot of people claimed "they got banned when they didn't do anything and it must've been a false positive". There was a huge thread on a third party site (don't remember which one). Several of the posters on the official forum had a blue reply which, basically, indicated that they were botting and trying to cover it up.

I'm betting some actual botters that got banned decided to try to play the "I was using WINE so it must've been due to that" card, to avoid the actual issue and try to elicit sympathy (or to "get back" at Blizzard for banning them for botting). So...create a thread on the WINE site, get some fellow botters to post on it, and suddenly people start believing it. I know several people that play on Linux and NONE of them have been banned.
I'm putting my bets that Blizzard didn't ban them for using Wine. I find it more likely they were doing something like botting, got caught, and decided to claim they were wrongly banned based on the circumstantial fact they were all using wine.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.
You people need to stop trying to be everyone else's champions. How do you know that what the OP has written is even true? Were you there? Did you personally see his emails? Did you personally play with him every second he was on to know that he was not cheating?

Fact is none of you who are being so aggressive towards Bashiok really know what has actually happened and you are all going on hearsay. Who are you to ask for evidence from him? Being a customer doesn't give you the right to bash him and ask him to provide proof of something that does not concern you.

People need to stop trolling and stop being nasty to each to other. What are you gaining from it? Satisfaction?
90 Human Paladin
How many years have we waited for this piece of crap to release?

I was done with the game in the first week. Once you beat the storyline, there is no reason to force yourself through inferno. Theres no reason to waste your money on the real money auction house and you can't even be left alone to play offline.

Admit it Blizzard. You done goofed.
This is what virtual machines are for my friend. But then again having to run out and get or download windows just to launch games on vm is kind of annoying. But very helpful depending on what you use the vm for. Still I don't see the problem with running the game on an un-official os if you aren't doing anything malicious. It's probably just protocal, Warden is set up to faceban any and everything that it detects injecting program into the game that isn't an approved OS, and blizzard doesn't like to admit that sometimes, they make mistakes. Coincidentally the reason a lot of bots go undetected for so long is because they don't inject into or touch the D3 program at all! Perhaps if they programmed warden to look for mouse clicks on the same pixel over extended periods of time they would do a better job of sniffing out botters.
As the old saying goes...http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/22895632.jpg
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Nothing's wrong huh? Just like when there were 5 new threads+ per day about getting hacked, then you make a patch and they literally all stop? Good stuff.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Boom. And the crowd goes wild!

How dark is it with your head up Blizzard's !@#?
07/03/2012 05:44 AMPosted by ArchZion
Windows 8 is out?

No...someone is trolling that people need to receive support on an OS that hasnt been released yet.

Thanks, tho that was actually a failed attempt at sarcasm on my part.

Boom. And the crowd goes wild!

Eyi! and we all know that authority figures never lie. Remember Clinton? "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!"
85 Worgen Warrior
in other words deal with it

So you are accusing this person of cheating. Are you sure you have the facts? Are you so sure of your programmers and testers did not fail (You know they have failed do you not?)?

Yet one more post of yours to report. Sooner or later you will start treating people like customers or I hope you loose your job.

I think the answer to the cheating thing is actually in the OP's emails he posted. It said something about taking previous violations into account. It sounds like a cheater who has been caught multiple times has finally been banned for good and is looking for some sympathy. Since many posters on here are Linux users and are still playing, I'd say a Blizzard rep calling someone out here is probably appropriate.

Pardon us for not having a ton of faith in things that Blizzard claims to have "extensively tested", you know...like...Diablo 3.
90 Tauren Shaman
I have no doubt that innocent people have been banned. Blizzard has an extremely poor policy when it comes to handing out the ban hammer.

Years ago when I was into Diablo 2, I had a decently geared sorceress, mostly played with friends. I joined a game one day, some guy was giving away free rings, I took one. The next day I bragged to my friend that I had a pretty epic ring, my friend told me that the particular ring that I was given freely by a nice guy turned out to be duped/bugged, I went to log into my Diablo 2 account and it was banned. (Thanks Blizzard!)

The problem would have been better fixed if they just did a wipe of all bugged/duped items, rather than banned accounts. So many people's accounts were banned that day, and I'm betting quite a few were innocent bystanders who were provided free equipment in random public games.

The only games I've ever 'cheated' on were games that incorporated cheat codes for single-player use. IDDQD

Pretty sure you don't know what linux is.

I know what it is,have for many years. The bottom line is it is not supported. I also know the appeal of linux is the openess of the os and the ability to modify many of the operating system features. In short it is easier to run hacks ect on linux than dos. MSdos or windows 7 if you rather is a closed os that does not have it's source code floating around the internet begging to be modified. Save linux for work, or drop the pos and get windows 7. Unless you are a developer I really can't see the big draw to linux.

Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. It's not easier to run hacks on Linux, the OS being open source has nothing to do with third party applications that enable cheats. It is just as easy to run hacks on Windows, in fact, there would be more hacks available on Windows because developers want to develop the hacks on the operating system they will be utilized on the most (also why there are more viruses on Windows), as to increase the amount of donations/payments their users will provide (some hacks cost money!).

Please avoid talking about things you have no clue about.
Edited by knigitz#1704 on 7/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT
next time read the box linux is never mentioned, no clue why your crying over what has been in plain view since diablo 1.
Just because someone is an authority figure doesn't mean they're lying.

I read all 38 pages of this nonsense and I want that time back. The amount of troll feeding in this thread is epic.

I loved the "90% of the linux users are being banned" comment. And yet only 4 people are claiming to have been banned. So that means only 5 people use linux? Well then ban the last guy and lets be done with it. :D

I am quite sure if 90% of the linux users were banned these boards would be lit up with a lot more people crying foul than there are.

All the off topic posts such as the 200 posts defining whether wine is an emulator or not. And the 50 posts about what the acronym stands for are really unnecessary.

You guys wonder why blizzard treats you like children? You must be kidding. Go back and read through this garbage filled thread and it will become obvious.
Edited by Gorion#1903 on 7/3/2012 6:25 AM PDT
Just because someone is an authority figure doesn't mean they're lying.

I read all 38 pages of this nonsense and I want that time back. The amount of troll feeding in this thread is epic.

I loved the "90% of the linux users are being banned" comment. And yet only 4 people are claiming to have been banned. So that means only 5 people use linux? Well then ban the last guy and lets be done with it. :D

I am quite sure if 90% of the linux users were banned these boards would be lit up with a lot more people crying foul than there are.

All the off topic posts such as the 200 posts defining whether wine is an emulator or not. And the 50 posts about what the acronym stands for are really unnecessary.

You guys wonder why blizzard treats you like children? You must be kidding. Go back and read through this garbage filled thread and it will become obvious.

you have more patience than me, I was done by the third page lol. After that i just kept looking for Bashiok's post to see what everyone was up in arms for.
07/03/2012 06:23 AMPosted by alvarad
next time read the box linux is never mentioned, no clue why your crying over what has been in plain view since diablo 1.

clearly some people just cant follow the system REQUIREMENTS on the box. its not a suggestion its a REQUIRMENT!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]