Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/03/2012 06:59 AMPosted by Drakol
So... while I can agree that an account ban right off seems harsh... maybe do a suspension until it can be proven that you were not cheating or until you can prove that you have switched to the "required and supported os".

You're suggesting things that are already there, however, the mentioned cases were most likely obvious and resulted in one of the later penalties.

Please see http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-account-penalties
Edited by TomWij#2627 on 7/3/2012 7:04 AM PDT
85 Tauren Death Knight
Looks like y'all need to lawyer up.

We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

This is the exact same thing that was said to me when I was banned in 2006 for using Cedega. It took Blizzard about a month to find out that everyone they banned was in fact not cheating. Hopefully you guys have put a great amount of effort into your reviews as being called a cheat and then a liar for a month just to receive a 'sorry' is pretty scaring to customers.
I find this thread hysterical.

I've been a systems administrator for IBM and then Dell for about 8 years total now, and when a distributor tells us "this isn't supported", both of my companies have had no trouble understanding the concept of "well if we do this and something goes wrong they aren't liable in any way since they clearly stated what we're trying to do is unsupported".

When you buy a computer from any company out there, ANY AT ALL, and they designed the system to be "optimized" for Windows 7, and then 4 years later Windows 8 comes out but they dont release drivers for it, thats called UNSUPPORTED.

Same concept here people. All Bashiok and Blizzard are saying is "We told you not to do this and we told you we dont support it, so when something goes wrong with it you're on your own."

Following VERY SIMPLE DIRECTIONS is hard.

Everyone keeps pulling up the technical aspects of this when its a simple yes or no answer. The answer is no, Linux does not have D3 support, meaning if you chose to run it on that OS you get no support when things go wrong. If something WINE or something else running while D3 was being emulated triggered Warden, that's not Blizzards fault. You were still doing something unsupported in the first place.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been in IT for 14 years, doing lots of System Administrator work. Now I work in professional services. When things aren't supported out of the box for a product I get paid (I'm not cheap either, custom dev is billed at $250/hour) to take all your back end server tools and make work flows so they all work together.

Furthermore, I specifically work in the Linux and Mac field. I really don't touch Windows boxes at all, but I do touch Active Directory when doing LDAP integration and single sign on stuff. I can tell you no technology is 100%. No technology is fail proof. Everything is imperfect and has a rate of failure. If it didn't I would not have my job.

That being stated, there isn't a lot of info on how Warden works. It apparently creates hash files of apps running in the background of your OS and then compares them server side to known exploit and cheat apps. I can tell you right now, this method has a margin of error. It also claims to leverage Operating System APIs. WINE itself is an API that runs windows apps in their own self contained environment (they call it a wine bottle, clever I know..) so when battlenet is launched from an app in WINE it should be running in it's own environment. The tricky part is, the app itself is being fooled it is running in Windows, and I high doubt Warden is tested for every build of WINE, nor should it be, since after all, it is not supported.

I think the bottom line lies here:

1 - they cheated (however I haven't seen any evidence proving so)
2- Warden is bugged

I am going to lean towards 2 until someone can confirm with out a doubt they cheated.

TL;DR = Software is always buggy, that is why there are these things called patches and hot fixes
07/03/2012 06:59 AMPosted by spanthegnome
This has absolutely nothing to do with 'network security' and you know it. This is a matter of person security. This kid could very well just have something unknown to him running and it could actually help him uncompromising his system.

So suddenly Blizzard is liable for helping him troubleshoot a possible breach when hes DOING SOMETHING UNSUPPORTED?

When your internet goes down in your house do you call your PC manufacturer or your ISP?
07/03/2012 07:03 AMPosted by TieMiShoe
Botters using Linux are a plague, this is a step in the right direction.

Assuming they are running Linux is a plague, because there's nothing that makes one or the other OS more or less applicable for such practices.
wow. This is so low. Blizzard is slowly creeping into the "do not touch" realm for me. What a horrible run they've had with diablo 3.
im pretty god damn sure that americas number 1 video game supplier has the tech to determine to between the two. are you serious ? gtfo

And did they explicitly confirm your statement; no, they didn't.

I am serious, but you seem not...

again its TOOOOOOOO funny that blizzard TELLS you they dont support it, and then you get banned. WINE LOL, YUP A LOT OF ``WINE ING`` GOING ON IN THIS THREAD

LOLOLOL
Edited by TomWij#2627 on 7/3/2012 7:11 AM PDT
85 Night Elf Warrior
Guys - when you have something that is unsupported, it means if you need help - you ain't getting it. That does not mean "Oh, you are banned!"

Either these people need their money back, or they need to get their accounts unbanned.

It's bad business practice.
*commercially available

Not something home brewed. Those can be much harder to find exploiting, especially when its only one or two people that have it.
85 Human Warrior
I don't get why people claim to have been banned for using Linux. If you read the post made by Blizzard, you can clearly read that those using unsupported machines won't be able to play during the survey, BUT, once the survey's done, you'll be free to play.

So why don't you just wait and see what happens? If you're still banned after the survey, then you've been caught doing something you shouldn't have.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Nice.
Stop cheating.
85 Tauren Druid

Or.. if you want to continue with the stance of it does not say I can not and this is not fair... then maybe you should start using that idealism to ask why you want to use a open source OS and free software to then be able to make money using RMAH... which might be considered fraudulent on some level as you are using something that is given out freely to be used freely... to make money... so there is no work : compensation ratio.. there is no disability reason you would be able to do this... you are profiting from others with little to no risk to yourself.

1: There's no link between what you paid for your operating system and your ability to make money for it.

2: Free software, in the context used to refer to the gnu public license and other free software licenses, is about freedom, not cost. Indeed, you are perfectly able to sell free software. You just can't prevent the person you sell it to from distributing copies further (either at no-cost, or for some cost).

If a developer wants to monetize software, a free software license is not their first natural choice (although there are viable monetization models for free software). Sometimes you want to maximize use (commercial and non-commercial alike), so a bsd license works great there. Sometimes you just want to give back to the community and ensure your users all have some guaranteed set of freedoms, and the gpl is great there. It depends on the goals you have as a developer.

Free software is not now, nor has it ever, been about price.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]