Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Source: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953

This is ridiculous.

So you GUESS it is caused by wine, then state that as fact here. Who is stupid enough to believe that?
for those that don;t understand botting -- or how to begin writing programs -- let me state as a programmer: It is easier to write a bot for a windows game in windows.

C# -- it does bots too.

Windows uses handles for every window on the screeen ... I can grab that handle and send it information -- if that handle is for a game it is called botting -- if it is for other applications it is called automation.

Get a clue -- I wouldn't write a bot to work through wine -- it would be kludgy as all get out.

Wine is to setup a windows environment inside of Linux. --- doesn't VMware have a linux version?

EDIT:

THIS STORY JUST HIT www.slashdot.org

the whole world is tlaking about it now
Edited by Raylion#1545 on 7/3/2012 8:13 AM PDT
If the facts are that people using a noncheating program are getting banned, then this is yet another @!@@ move by Bli$$ard.
07/03/2012 07:12 AMPosted by beowulf77
Stop cheating.

+1
Not supported doesn't mean "prohibited". It simply means that they don't guarantee functionality and won't provide technical support.

It does not mean you aren't allowed/will be punished for using linux.

The ToS lists a number of things against the rules and for which a player would be punished. Nowhere does it mention using an OS other than windows.
Edited by Fovere#1657 on 7/3/2012 7:23 AM PDT
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Stop being stupid and gullible. Blizzard confirmed these people were cheating.

Bad business practices are losing money returning it to retards who blindy cause problems, if they are to get refunds charge them a 20% fee for it, or just flat out keep it.

Argue it ALL you want children, ALL YOU WANT, the fact is, YOU DIDNT READ THE BOX, the TOS, ANYTHING.

Then you come here, slander Blizzard, call them every name in the book, throw complete CRY BABY TANTRUMS, and ``demand`` their respect and attention ?

Lesson learned, READ AND LOOK INTO THINGS BEFORE PURCHASING.

Stupid people cause too many problems for society. Let them pay for it.

Actually, based on Blizzard's past actions with other products (as mentioned by OP) there is a REASONABLE expectation that D3 will function correctly and not be banned when run on Linux regardless of whether the user has read the ToS or not.

Actually no, on an unsupported platform there are no guarantees of stability at all. This is common developer practice for both systems and software.
summary:

linux botters are crying because they got banned
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=21#402

They were cheating. Confirmed 8 hours ago. Why is any debate still going on?
All people, quit this stupid diablo 3 game, it's so boring.. and quit Blizzard thei act like God's ... thei games ruine or lifes .... adio Blizzard from me and my team
100 Tauren Shaman
Please enlighten us on how they will be able to tell the difference between using an application that is not supported, on an operating system which is not supported, and a hack.

WHILE (SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING) {
IF (WINE) BREAK
ELSE IF MUST BE CHEAT?
}

They would write SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING in such way that it does not impose an additional branch for WINE, because that's the whole point about not catching false positives. You don't want to be excluding Virus Scanners, DEP, ASLR, memory and driver issues and the like; but rather all the obvious attempts which are guaranteed to be more positive.

False positives can of course in some cases still happen, which has happened back with WoW. Note how the same (or improved) Warden is used here, so that false positive has been ironed out a long time ago...

That was, of course, sarcastic pseudo-code, but it seems like you get the point I was trying to make. False positives can happen, and a simple update to an application, or a specific condition that is unknown to blizzard, but completely legit, may be regarded as a hack.

My biggest call on BS for Blizzard is that the game does not run native in Linux, and they don't support Linux or Wine, so how can they accurately detect something they have no conditions for?

Blizzard should at the very least report their findings to the people who they ban, citing what they saw occur.
07/03/2012 07:26 AMPosted by Knigitz
My biggest call on BS for Blizzard is that the game does not run native in Linux, and they don't support Linux or Wine, so how can they accurately detect something they have no conditions for?

They said it was unsupported as a platform. They never said Warden wasn't coded to detect it and know it's allowed.

They do not cite what they saw because that assists bot developers to make their bots more undetectable. Do you want more bots?
Edited by Elizabeth#1133 on 7/3/2012 7:28 AM PDT
Blizzard should include what "cheat" they were using when banning, not just ban, without knowing why.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will

Come on you can't be serious ? If you think that you can 100% test anything and say there's no way anything other than what is expected to happen you obviously don't know how computer software and testing works (and I won't even be nitpicky about the fact that we're speaking of Linux with it's many distributions).
I'm aware that your careful choice of wording does not say exactly that, but the tone implies it which is to say the least unpleasant if you're on the other end of that answer and you're a semi-intelligent person not guilty of anything (and yes I've been there for no reason but Blizz's mistake).
Bye Bye cheater. MUAHAHAHAHHAHAA.
91 Blood Elf Priest
In my limited experience, I understand that Linux operating system is a more powerfull system allowing its users to free access to certain bits of information.

If it has been determined that Linux/Unix is a hotbed for hackers/exploiters, then I say ban everyone using it. You are taking the risk when you buy the game for an unsupported OS and "try to make it work".
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]