Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Stop being stupid and gullible. Blizzard confirmed these people were cheating.

You must have mixed up "confirmed" and "claimed".
How do you know the truth? How do I?
This forum is being rampaged by such ignorant trolls that it's comical, insult people whose cause your helping by drawing attention to it. Looks like some losers really have nothing better to do, especially when servers are down ahaha.
07/03/2012 07:20 AMPosted by Peakay
Dont use Wine Winers, Also to ALL those who think D3 is TOO hard (Waaaah) BUILD your character! its not that hard. If you dont have a brain enuff to figure it out , We really dont wanna play with you anyway. Bow to the Blizz,....Look at all theyve done for you. Now you actually have a Life! Maybe its not supposed to be for wives and 8yr old kids!

You, sir, need a lesson in proper customer support. In most companies, the goal is to please the customer. This is just one more reason for more consumers to not return to this developer.
I could make a huge long, laundry list of all of those reasons, but that's not the real issue here.

To you Blizzard, Windows and Mac fanboys, take a hike. I don't run on Linux, but this is just ridiculous.

Turn on a computer, learn something. Quit following big companies with such blind devotion like an insignificant mosquito.
Insignificant mosquitos don't know any better.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

If the entire Linux community is banned for cheating when they're not actually cheating and Blizzard keeps calling those banned cheaters?

That kind of lying would get them a class action suit for defamation.

I kinda gotta go with the one actually putting up a risk if they're lying, over the random stranger over the internet that can't lose anything.
Edited by Ehcks#1375 on 7/3/2012 7:34 AM PDT
85 Tauren Druid

My biggest call on BS for Blizzard is that the game does not run native in Linux, and they don't support Linux or Wine, so how can they accurately detect something they have no conditions for?

Support is technical support. They don't offer that for linux.

They've done some testing in wine since 2006 when they had problems with wine (cedega specifically) interactions and warden, and decided not to punish players for using wine. According to wikipedia, they actually detect wine and disable certain checks which don't make sense for that environment (however that assertion is unsourced, but given the fact that very few problems with wine have cropped up since 2006, it wouldn't surprise me).

Since warden is sending back hash values (to do otherwise would make it too easy to evade) and blizzard does analysis with database queries on their end, it's going to be extremely difficult to prove anything.

They can claim that if hash values a, b, c are found on a system that doesn't have hash value x, then they are botting. However, the community is not likely to accept that as evidence, nor has blizzard historically been willing to share that sort of data with the community, for both security effectiveness and privacy reasons.
Usually when something is free, that means it is too good to be true. Nothing in the world is free. And with the software companies all banding together to stop piracy and cheating.........the rule is "If you don't pay then you don't play"! Sort of like d/l illegal music and software and you get a virus or viruses. Who do you think is putting that stuff in there? The users? lmao. It's the recording industry. They do it to deter people from doing it illegally.
85 Tauren Druid
lmao maybe thats why blizzard doesnt support linux ?

They don't support linux because they are unable to make a strong business case for it on desktops, especially if linux users are willing to either dual boot or use wine, both of which are very common solutions in the linux community to running blizzard products.

Blizzard games historically run amazingly well under wine.
85 Tauren Druid
07/03/2012 07:35 AMPosted by ShadowKing
Usually when something is free, that means it is too good to be true.

gpl and free software is about liberty, not price. Are you saying freedom is too good to be true?

Please read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html before saying stupid things like this.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/3/2012 7:40 AM PDT
85 Tauren Priest
This is great. A buddy of mine is still happily farming gold in his sleep.

@Herbburglar: Freedom is NOT free.
Edited by Derpy#1628 on 7/3/2012 7:39 AM PDT
Whilst i run the game on Windows, i am pretty disappointed in Blizzards response to nix users.

I can only say, mess with Unix people at your peril.

What is even more disappointing although not surprising, is some of the ignorance displayed in responses from the Windows fan-boys.

where the F uck do these pre-pubescent , high on Clearasil fume idiots think the term "Woot" came from....
100 Blood Elf Paladin
07/03/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Herbburglar
Usually when something is free, that means it is too good to be true.

gpl and free software is about liberty, not price. Are you saying freedom is too good to be true?

Freedom isn't free.

People are giving up their time and profit margins to make free open-source software for everyone else.

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?

So you read through non diablo forums but you don't even glance out your own? makes a lot of sense and tells us a lot about you

LOL, you are such an idiot.
85 Tauren Priest
While I wouldn't claim the word "woot" as a point of pride or accomplishment, the fact remains that the vast majority of computer users are pretty downright ignorant when it comes to Unix.
85 Tauren Druid
This is great. A buddy of mine is still happily farming gold in his sleep.

@Herbburglar: Freedom is NOT free.

Cost and liberty are unrelated. The gpl doesn't require software be free, you are free to sell it at any price you want. What you're not able to do is stop the person you sold it to from also selling it (at any price they want).

Due to the liberty inheirent in free (or libre, if you prefer) software, it rarely makes economic sense to try to directly profit from its distribution.

If the entire Linux community is banned for cheating when they're not actually cheating and Blizzard keeps calling those banned cheaters?

That kind of lying would get them a class action suit for defamation.

I kinda gotta go with the one actually putting up a risk if they're lying, over the random stranger over the internet that can't lose anything.

Let me be cheap here and point towards all the missed bugs and exploits that came with D3 release after their so claimed "extensively testing".

I don't even blame them, you never gonna catch 'em all, despite what Pokémon wants you to believe.
But they could have easily missed that ONE WINE configuration that throws false positives, that's the nature of those systems.

I don't even call them liars, they just don't know better... for now.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]