Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

extensively tested?

really?

who else here almost choked on their dinner when reading that?
85 Tauren Druid

People are giving up their time and profit margins to make free open-source software for everyone else.

It's often done so it gets wide distribution or so you can get significant improvements without incremental cost (crowdsourcing development). There are a lot of valid reasons to contribute to open source software, even if you're doing so from scratch and not because you're compelled to because you've created a derived work of a gpl licensed program.

That doesn't escape the basic fact that free software is concerned with liberty, not price.

A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

A program is free software if users have all of these freedoms. Thus, you should be free to redistribute copies, either with or without modifications, either gratis or charging a fee for distribution, to anyone anywhere. Being free to do these things means (among other things) that you do not have to ask or pay for permission to do so.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/3/2012 7:46 AM PDT
90 Worgen Death Knight
...I've played diablo 3 with my brother up to nightmare mode. I'm using windows 7 while he's using Fedora linux and he not been banned.

But of course, keep believing that Blizzard is lying and the RMAH caused the great depression.
100 Tauren Shaman
07/03/2012 07:27 AMPosted by Elizabeth
My biggest call on BS for Blizzard is that the game does not run native in Linux, and they don't support Linux or Wine, so how can they accurately detect something they have no conditions for?

They said it was unsupported as a platform. They never said Warden wasn't coded to detect it and know it's allowed.

They do not cite what they saw because that assists bot developers to make their bots more undetectable. Do you want more bots?

In my limited experience, I understand that Linux operating system is a more powerfull system allowing its users to free access to certain bits of information.

If it has been determined that Linux/Unix is a hotbed for hackers/exploiters, then I say ban everyone using it. You are taking the risk when you buy the game for an unsupported OS and "try to make it work".

Do you know how many Diablo, World of Warcraft, Starcraft hacks are out for Windows that ARE undetectable? Seriously, if they ban everyone on Linux, they should do the same for Windows users too. Windows is a hotbed for game hacks because that is what most games are developed to run on. Why make a hack that the few hundred Linux/Wine users can use, when you can make a hack that tens of thousands of Windows users will use? At some point it's about monetary gain, Windows hacks are out there, some are undetectable by the current Warden, some are not. Some are paid for programs, some are free.
extensively tested?

really?

no no , its true , they got the guys who designed the Auction house to look into it ................
90 Worgen Death Knight
extensively tested?

really?

Are you people seriously this stupid?
90 Worgen Death Knight
Won't believe what the developers say.

Won't believe what a CM says.

Definitely won't believe ANYTHING an MVP says EVER.

What will people believe?

That's because you spew assumptions as the truth. When evidence is given to you, you ignore it.

Same goes exactly to people like you.
Just run windows under Virtual-box.
So far I have come to this conclusion:

Use RMAH = ban

Use Linux = Ban

Talk about people that have scammed you = ban

Mention why you get banned = probably ban

So basically the ONLY thing that makes Diablo 3 scary is the fact that just by playing the game you could get = banned.
Same thing happened in WoW a few years ago. All the Linux users got banned (myself included) and we all got similar responses from Blizz when we complained. It wasn't until Cedega stepped in, contacted blizzard, and helped them work through the issue that Blizz backed off and reopened accounts.

Problem was only paying Cedega customers were included in the restore. I never got my account back because I was silly and just ran WoW under wine instead of paying Cedega to do it for me. I haven't played using Linux since.
Sadly I will admit I do not know Linux but I do know the best gamers and computer wiz's use it and I am very saddened to see how you guys are being treated.
100 Night Elf Druid
Blizzard didn't ban EVERYONE using LINUX, they banned those "cheating".

More importantly, the article says "A number of players" using LINUX, not all.

Is it so hard to conceive that a group (large or small) of gamers figured out they could use LINUX and WINE to cheat at Diablo III? Furthermore, have any hackers/cheaters at games then admitted they were in fact cheating when banned?

No most likely they whined like little !@#$%es saying "I never cheated! I was banned unfairly!"

Good riddance to cheating pricks.
07/03/2012 07:48 AMPosted by ToeKutter

I don't think the virtual display will run the game very well. I'm not even sure the game will even support it.
90 Troll Hunter

Sure enough, Uninstalling all the Catalyst drivers and just going with the Microsoft's Win7 included ATi driver 2010.0625. Diablo 3 plays fine. Yup, Not a dang thing wrong now.

However I can't do any productivity work anymore because without the 'latest' drivers installed I can't run MATLAB, or other engineering software installed because I can't process some of the tasks without latest video drivers. (efficiency)

So you're blaming D3 because MATlab and other program won't run with the most recent driver for your video card?

Makes sense.
85 Tauren Druid
07/03/2012 07:57 AMPosted by PsiCoRe

I don't think the virtual display will run the game very well. I'm not even sure the game will even support it.

It's a virtualization product, like vmware. It won't run great (certainly not as well as wine), but from the games pov, it's about the same as any other windows install. It can do DX accel, but for games wine is generally going to perform better assuming the game isn't using too many apis that are barely implemented.
It is true cheaters never win :)
85 Tauren Druid
07/03/2012 08:01 AMPosted by Kujo
It is true cheaters never win :)

I see what you did there.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]