Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Your trolling is not even amusing, 0/10. If not trolling I find it " ``amusing`` " that you don't know the difference between "supported" and "allowed".

I find it amusing that you talk out of your !@# completely, I also find it amusing that you can`t tell the difference between ``You`re`` and ``your``.

Dumbass

Secondly, Blizzard announced / stated BEFORE release that LINUX IS NOT ALLOWED.

Third : You got totally owned son

Okay, so you are trolling, considering I used the correct your.
85 Tauren Druid

Secondly, Blizzard announced / stated BEFORE release that LINUX IS NOT ALLOWED.

Source?

Keep in mind there's a difference between the words allowed and supported. If what you say is true, it would be the only title of their three that this is the case. They have wine-specific code in warden on their other games to ensure it functions correctly.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/2/2012 6:10 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid
Hmm....

I wouldn't blame Blizzard/Warden Guy.

The existing warden module is very basic and traditional. If anything wine is bugged, because its merely an emulator.

Arguing over emulation or not is silly and immature.

It's not (nor does it include) an instruction-level x86 emulator, therefore the recursive acronym reflects this. In the past, warden has needed specific detection for wine in order to skip some checks, because wine tends to be missing a lot leading warden to think something funny is going on.

My take is that this is simply a bug, and not a policy shift.
I'm sorry to say buddy, but if you're not playing it using something that is listed on the box as supported you have no right to complain about any problems or actions that are taken.

If I buy a gun and it says 'use only x ammunition' and I put something else in there and the gun explodes in my face... the manufacturers aren't to blame.
This thread isn't about whether people playing Diablo 3 in WINE made the right decision or should continue to do so, it's about fair treatment of the people who were banned WITHOUT warning WITHOUT violating TOU or EULA. This is really infuriating. Blizzard makes itself look worse and worse everyday.
bump this is just not fair
66 Gnome Rogue
I am appalled....

This is ridiculous.

Linux is not supported.

Get over yourself.
Why would we care if you are playing on a linux system so long as the files to run the game have not been altered? I see no issue with it. Also some common sense should be applied in game. If I see a guy with a lvl say 56 wizard, and nothing that special on it (like uber amazing) and he's using linux then so be it.
I'm sorry to say buddy, but if you're not playing it using something that is listed on the box as supported you have no right to complain about any problems or actions that are taken.

If I buy a gun and it says 'use only x ammunition' and I put something else in there and the gun explodes in my face... the manufacturers aren't to blame.

The box doesn't say/has never said "Use only Windows or Mac".

No one is arguing that Linux should be supported. Blizzard should, however warn paying customers before banning them and publicly state that using WINE is against they rules if they are going to ban for it. From this point on I will assume that anyone who says otherwise is a troll and/or mentally disabled.
If there is any room for misinterpretation without willful ignorance, the end user is not to blame, Blizzard is.
Edited by Music#1544 on 7/2/2012 6:20 PM PDT
Ummmm.... system requirements. REQUIREMENTS. It only lists pc and mac. Meaning that it REQUIRES a PC or a Mac. Require DOES imply that it is mandatory.
I am appalled....

This is ridiculous.

Linux is not supported.

Get over yourself.

Not supported VS Not allowed.

If it said on the box that linux was bannable than so be it. Saying it isn't supported means JACK !@#$. Their are countless things in most games that aren't supported hardware wise and yet the game CAN be made to work fine. If blizzard doesn't want people using linux or some other os than they need to clearly state that it isn't just not supported but it's also BANNABLE.
07/02/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Snowman

Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It's actually just an open source implementation of the Windows API. So there should be theoretically no difference, except that one is free.

Wine actually stands for WINdows Emulator, and Wine Is Not an Emulator is a joke.

When users think of emulators, they think of programs like Dosbox or zsnes. These applications run as virtual machines and are slow, having to emulate each processor instruction. Wine does not do any CPU emulation - hence the name "Wine Is Not an Emulator."

Some people argue that since Wine introduces an extra layer above the system a Windows application will run slowly. While technically true, Wine is no different from any other software library in this regard; even newer versions of Windows must load extra resources to support older applications.

From the winehq site, obviously you know better...

Warden scans certain offsets in memory, imagine wine allocated that memory where warden does not look for it. Omg, warden thinks, hackzz111!!1! The hashes are not correct. Warden then calls up blizz headquarters and some innocent linux user is banned.

Mystery solved...

Linux is not supported.

Get over yourself.

Not supported VS Not allowed.
If it said on the box that linux was bannable than so be it. Saying it isn't supported means JACK !@#$. Their are countless things in most games that aren't supported hardware wise and yet the game CAN be made to work fine. If blizzard doesn't want people using linux or some other os than they need to clearly state that it isn't just not supported but it's also BANNABLE.

Okay let's take another look at the box here good sir.

System REQUIREMENTS

PC: etc
MAC: etc
PC/MAC: etc

Do you see an 'other' category? No? Then I guess that means you don't meet the REQUIREMENTS with which to play this game. If you go to an amusement park and it says "You must be this tall to ride" and you're not tall enough do you complain that it doesn't specify that people your exact height can't ride?

Wine actually stands for WINdows Emulator, and Wine Is Not an Emulator is a joke.

When users think of emulators, they think of programs like Dosbox or zsnes. These applications run as virtual machines and are slow, having to emulate each processor instruction. Wine does not do any CPU emulation - hence the name "Wine Is Not an Emulator."

Some people argue that since Wine introduces an extra layer above the system a Windows application will run slowly. While technically true, Wine is no different from any other software library in this regard; even newer versions of Windows must load extra resources to support older applications.

From the winehq site, obviously you know better...

Warden scans certain offsets in memory, imagine wine allocated that memory where warden does not look for it. Omg, warden thinks, hackzz111!!1! The hashes are not correct. Warden then calls up blizz headquarters and some innocent linux user is banned.

Mystery solved...

Unjustly banned users request reversal of actions caused by a misunderstanding/refunds, case re-opened, Blizzard should further investigate.
You will wish you had rallied for Blizzard to change their ways when they start banning for having an application like Steam running while playing the game and refuse to look any further into it after you open a ticket.
People have invested a lot of time, and for some, a lot of money into this game and bans should not be thrown around so carelessly, at least not if they won't personally investigate matters when someone cares enough to open a ticket about it.
Edited by Music#1544 on 7/2/2012 6:27 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]