Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Blizzard is very narrow minded when it comes to these things.

This is why I am buying all future games through Steam.
85 Tauren Druid

While I agree with the differences between contexts. In no context is Wine an emulator. It is an open source implementation of Windows APIs. Calling this an emulator would be akin to calling my car a Ferrari emulator because they both implement the idea of a car.

In a broader context, what wine does and what printer manufacturers do to support hp-gl are basically identical (in both cases, they are just providing implementations, and not actually emulating any hardware). Calling it an emulator, provided you are explicitly not referring to cpu instruction set emulation, is valid.

At the time the recursive acronym was made for wine, cpu instruction set emulation was really all that existed in common practice for running windows. Now we have a lot of technologies for different use cases, from api implementation (wine), to virtualization like virtualbox and vmware, para-virtualization. We've also got less common but related technologies like cpu simulation (which tends to go beyond mere cpu level emulation), and so forth.

Honestly, emulation is a very general term. If you're using it to refer to any mechanism of running windows binaries non-natively, emulation is a descriptive term. It's not cpu simulation though, and that's the distinction the wine team really wanted to make (especially since that has some performance implications).

Really, the term has diverged quite a bit from how it was originally intended to be used. It's sort of funny, what people often think of as emulation was originally simulation, and what used to be called emulation is now called virtualization.

Terminal emulators work basically like wine. They speak the same language of that which they want to emulate (the api) and the backend is just implemented differently depending on the hardware they are actually running on.
See this thread, this is the issue we experienced weeks ago. I don't think any Linux users in that thread (including me) have had any issues after the setarch solution was found.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271607015
Edited by Spike#1118 on 7/2/2012 7:57 PM PDT
[quote]
Wine is an implementation of microsoft defined apis. In some contexts, this can mean emulation, in other contexts it does not. The term emulation is itself a very general term.

That's non-sense. Whether they are DLLs are SOs, the system relationships are exactly the same. Microsoft's DLLs provide functions for the program and translates program requests for the system. WINE provides functions for the program and translates program requests for the system.

Its akin to saying that GNU C Library is an emulation of Microsoft's C Library. Its absurd.
I dont understand the problem.

Dont run the game on an OS its not intended to run on, then you wouldnt be banned.
85 Tauren Druid

Its akin to saying that GNU C Library is an emulation of Microsoft's C Library. Its absurd.

It's not absurd when it's a proprietary library.

It's no different than terminal emulation and hp-gl emulation. In both of those cases, you're not emulating the cpu found in the printer you want to emulate. You're just implementing the language (in the case of wine, api).
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a thread on reddit in /r/gaming linking to this post. I suggest you go there and upvote it.

Dont run the game on an OS its not intended to run on, then you wouldnt be banned.

sniff...i smell troll.

Im sure this will get worked out. I dont think they are intending to ban because of linux, i think they are trying to prevent autoit scripting, mmbbq etc....and you all just got caught in the crossfire.

The second biggest issue with this (the first being the inconvenience you all have to go through) is that botters/cheaters will use the linux excuse to get their accounts unbanned too.

So if you bought a liter of cola from KFC and used an incorrect drinking utensil... would you expect the manager to come out and remove your beverage from your possession? Hmmm....

It just seems slightly ridiculous for any company to take that kind of a stance. You don't believe you are being a little over the top about that?

~ Prex
Makes me glad I haven't tried to run the game on my desktop yet. I've been running Blizzard games through Wine for years and haven't ever run into a ban or the kind of anti-linux sentiment that I've seen in this thread.

With the rest of the industry moving to support Linux due to its increasingly proven ten percent of the paying PC gaming market, and half of the emerging tablet market its really disheartening to see Blizzard moving to actively ban Linux users.
I thought blizzard used to be one of the most OS friendly companies out there. This is sad news indeed.
Wow this is absolute bs, blizzard is more garbage then EA, i can confirm they lost 1 customer this day.

So if you bought a liter of cola from KFC and used an incorrect drinking utensil... would you expect the manager to come out and remove your beverage from your possession? Hmmm....

It just seems slightly ridiculous for any company to take that kind of a stance. You don't believe you are being a little over the top about that?

~ Prex

If I had to share that drink with millions of other users who were using a straw and I showed up with a ladle, I would expect it.

~ Prex

If I had to share that drink with millions of other users who were using a straw and I showed up with a ladle, I would expect it.

Lol. Well then you were correct in your first statement....

85 Tauren Druid

Are you saying that about GNU C vs MS implementation(incorrect implementation) of C?

I'm a C programmer of 17 years, started on UNIX. :D

No, i'm saying in general, what wine does is similar to what terminal emulators do, and what printer emulation does.

Obviously, gnu libc is just (for the most part) implementing either the ansi standard library or posix. It clearly has nothing to do with microsoft's attempts at doing the same (although clearly the gnu folks have their own functions, as well as things borrowed from the libc's of various other implementations, like openbsd/netbsd/freebsd).

Emulator, imitation of behavior of a computer or other electronic system with the help of another type of computer/system

Gnu/Linux, in this context, is another type of computer, and it's imitating the behavior, while conforming to a common api, and providing the necessary infrastructure to load pecoff binaries.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/2/2012 8:14 PM PDT

It's not absurd when it's a proprietary library.

It's no different than terminal emulation and hp-gl emulation. In both of those cases, you're not emulating the cpu found in the printer you want to emulate. You're just implementing the language (in the case of wine, api).

Its non-sense. The licensing of the code has no bearing, in any way, on its technological function. GNU C Library does exactly the same thing as any other C library. It doesn't matter whether any of them are proprietary or freely licensed. One is not an emulator for the other.

The printer analogy is non sequitor. You are comparing something written to drive hardware to something written to support software. You do not know what you are talking about.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]