Diablo® III

[GUIDE] The Tank DH V.2

ITT: A bunch of tryhards who fail to accept they rolled a second-rate class.

You're trying to morph a dps class into a tank class lol. Meanwhile, tank classes are morphing into dps classes that are playing the game WAY more efficiently than you ever could.

Have fun playing as a ghetto Barbarian that will never be able to do even the simplest of things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3VCUMWLUE&t=0m24s

lol, you have no idea. :D

I have all the respect for barbs and they can do amazing stuff like that in the video. I have a couple of friends who play as barbs and I enjoy running with them.
But have you even tried the spec?

I run both DPS and tank specs and enjoy the different aspects of both.
You seem to be forgetting the most important aspect of the game, that and your manners.

If you have constructive advice, that would be appreciated. Trying to agitate people instead of trying to make things work is a fail not only in game, but as a person.

Please don't poison this guide, if you have suggestions to make it better though, I'm sure people are nice enough to listen.
Edited by Aspera#6721 on 6/30/2012 7:39 PM PDT

You're trying to morph a dps class into a tank class lol. Meanwhile, tank classes are morphing into dps classes that are playing the game WAY more efficiently than you ever could.

Have fun playing as a ghetto Barbarian that will never be able to do even the simplest of things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3VCUMWLUE&t=0m24s

When I start playing a game, I don't think "Alright I need to get efficient as #@$%", I think "This is gonna be fun."

0/10, keep it constructive.
06/30/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Trance

Quoting a glass cannon DH who just got one-shotted by a fallen minion in Act 3.

i love the semi tank build for DH. You guys should get 2 one handers with 900+ dps with 700+LOH. it shoots faster for big heals. i never die unless i fall asleep and let 6 mortars hit me in the face.

I already tried this and yeah, it's awesome for act 1/2 farming but it's too spiky and unreliable for act 3/4 farming compared to 1h xbow + shield. Maybe it's a gear thing? (my gear is not very good).
Edited by Coca#1280 on 6/30/2012 7:50 PM PDT
In theory, 2 really nice 1-h crossbows with plenty life on hit and enough HP/Resists/Armor as a buffer would work as you would simply regen to full every second as long as you didn't die. It will just be more expensive/harder to pull off.
Aspera, could I see what your current skill build? I'm curious to see what you're running at the moment. Thanks in advance.
I know it's not the right place, but I'm selling this good 1h x-bow for tanky DH's.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg521/scaled.php?server=521&filename=12323k.jpg&res=landing

854.4 DPS
+168 VIT (wich means +5880 HP +/-)
+869 LOH

Add me if you're interested: BigBoss#1294
Edited by BigBoss#1294 on 6/30/2012 9:04 PM PDT
How required is the shield or would additional Life on Hit from a second 1xbow be just as viable?

I actually carry several weapons to suit the specific scenario.

In general, a shield is better for hard hitters and spiky damage since it gives you a higher effective hp pool.

dual wield is better when you need maximum regen and not to mention it gives an aspd bonus for more LoH on your normal attacks. (good for heavy sustained damage, but not really spiky like Ghom for example, or standing in plague)
Thnx for loh proc details... I needed that!

I am currently farming in act 3 with tank hunter built,I run thru whole act 4 with the same setup, face tank my clone during diablo phase 2.

My stats is far from Farming act 4, but it reasonably comfortable in act3.

38k hp,
800 physical resist
700 res all
4.5k armour
30% chance to dodge
30% chance to block
1k loh

skills

Gas grenade (actually I wanted to ask, if shock collar collar have better loh)
Spike trap/scatter (personal preferences. tried ball lightning over penetration,)
Shuriken cloud
Caltrop jagged spiked
Preperation
Sp/gloom (I tried bubble turret, but I feel that I needed the gloom oh the oh @#$% moment of vortex + arcane -_-)

passive

custome engineering
numbing trap
night stalker ( I have 40% crit chance so there are times when i am in gloom for a long long time)

Aspera, do tell me when u archeive tanking arcane sentry and what are the value required. ^^ cheers to tank hunter~

I'm surprised that you're farming act 4!

I have similar stats:

37K life
25K DPS
600 All res
4200 Armor with enchantress
1.2K LoH

and I can't finish act 3.

Whats your strategy? Can you face tank all trash mobs? How big of a help is that that Shuriken cloud? I swapped out of it. Maybe that's a big mistake.

EH, I did said I cant farm act4,but for act 3,I can face tank most elites, except arcanes, or hard hitter that come with frozen,(eg tremor). Shuriken cloud is definitely a big help, the loh it proc allow u to tank big mobs packs, also shuriken + your trap make normal elites with frozen manageable( i am sure with higher armor even tremor with frozen won't be an issue, i am working toward 5k armor.. but... that additional 1 k armour is not easy to find)
Aspera, could I see what your current skill build? I'm curious to see what you're running at the moment. Thanks in advance.

For normal farming
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aceVkY!eUV!Zccbcb

If I'm expecting to have a big boss fight like rakanoth, belial, or something... I swap out shuriken cloud for M4D > Mortal Enemy for the hatred combo. :D

that additional 1 k armour is not easy to find

I find this true, hence my res spam.
Edited by Aspera#6721 on 6/30/2012 9:30 PM PDT
I know it's not the right place, but I'm selling this good 1h x-bow for tanky DH's.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg521/scaled.php?server=521&filename=12323k.jpg&res=landing

854.4 DPS
+869 LOH

Can anyone do a price check for me?
Apparently I can't find nothing similar to this for less 8 m.
I know AH is not the best place to price an item, that's because I want your opinion guys...
Tanky DH's are becoming pretty much popular atm.

I know AH is not the best place to price an item, that's because I want your opinion guys...

i dunno about "popular" as much as a cool idea.
every public game ive been in im still the only tank DH ive ever seen and i get pretty much the same response from the other ppl. they are really surprised usually when they see a DH tank because they havent seen any.

tbh if you want to look at the prices for that thing check the AH and look at it starting at similar DPS and work down. especially if you thinking "tank" DH since its not a dps spec. there are weapons on there with less DPS but more stats AND they are under 1mil.

i generally price low so you probably dont want my price :D

Thanks.
As I said, I can't find anything similar this xbow for less than 8m but I don't expect to get that much with this weap :D
How much you think it worth? Any price check is really welcome here.
If it had a socket, 8M might be worth considering. I wouldn't buy it for anything more than 3M I think. I would opt for a lower DPS bow with a better stat package.

However if I were you, I'd just undercut the nearest equivalent bow by a significant margin. :D
every public game ive been in im still the only tank DH ive ever seen and i get pretty much the same response from the other ppl. they are really surprised usually when they see a DH tank because they havent seen any.

I'd say it's a bit controversial at the moment since a lot of people still have fixed preconceptions about what a class should do or be like.

This should normalize when everyone realizes that you can do whatever you want with your character and just have fun with the game.

*I miss my charged bolt sorc. :( *sniff.... I used to pretend that I was a MSLE elite. :D

854.4 DPS
+869 LOH

Found a 852 dps 1h on the ah with 53 str and 148 vit and 323 life and a socket for 2.5m - flawless star ammy can be made for 1.6 or bought for 2m off the AH so you get something with -100 LoH for about 4.5m. I would try pricing it around 3-5m unless you are willing to sit on it for awhile. If it had a socket that would be another story then its a 20m+ weapon easily.
Edited by Jathra#1231 on 6/30/2012 10:06 PM PDT
Thanks guys.

Can anyone do a stat check on me?

Currently at:

- 58,9k HP
- 560~ AR
- 3K armor
- 1738 LOH
- 9,9k DPS
- 2.07 IAS

using this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UaYgek!cVU!cZbYcc

Act 2 is easy.
Act 3 is normal... some packs are being a trouble.

I'm using 2 1h x-bows.

One think I've noticed is that packs are taking too long to kill... Should I sacrifice some vit for dex and try to get 15k dps?
06/30/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Aspera

For normal farming
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aceVkY!eUV!Zccbcb

If I'm expecting to have a big boss fight like rakanoth, belial, or something... I swap out shuriken cloud for M4D > Mortal Enemy for the hatred combo. :D

that additional 1 k armour is not easy to find

I find this true, hence my res spam.

Where do you usually farm? I guess you use Bombardment for packs and Cinder Arrow for single mobs.

People aren't surprised in my public games, maybe they've seen some more TDH or maybe they think I'm a weird looking Monk. BTW, what public games do you join? (i.e. what quest).
Where do you usually farm? I guess you use Bombardment for packs and Cinder Arrow for single mobs.

Yeah that's pretty much it, but when I use M4D, I use bombardment on everything. :D

My favorite thing with it is (using the M4D hatred combo) I mark a beefy melee creep beside me and try to kill it last. Using the hatred I then rain death on the ranged mobs first working my way to targets closer to me. This way I have "health potions" around me while taking ranged fire.

I usually run through act 2 "A royal audience" (helping squishies along the way) up to the zoltun kulle boss fight if I have enough time. I spend more than half my time here.

When I'm trying something quirky I usually do it on a butcher run so my repair bill isn't so high. Then clearing festering woods, cemetery crypts, and weeping hollow.

If I'm feeling like it, I toss in a Ghom or Azmodan run every now and then. Somehow single player in act 3 seems to go more smoothly than if I am in a pub.
Just a FYI for those dual wielding...

At 90% base damage reduction + traps + bubble...you get hit for 35-40k from the hardest hitting mobs in game (diablo prison, 4 legged things in Act 4, act 3 boss fireball...

So it is nice to have over 400k base effective health...
Edited by SteveC#1225 on 7/1/2012 2:11 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]