Diablo® III

I keep getting emails for spam

I've received 4 of these in the past day. The email address comes from noreply@blizzard.com

I've been playing this game solo since a couple days after launch, and thus I have no need to talk on the chat at all. Is this just a really good phishing email, or what? There's no deceiving links in the email, and it's showing the email comes from a trusted sender. I just got this one about 30 minutes ago; I went into a game and typed a couple words and they went through... but according to these emails I shouldn't be able to chat, right?

Greetings,

Account Name: my email address

A user of the above account has recently been involved in actions deemed inappropriate for Diablo III.

Account Action: 6 Hour Suspension of Chat Privileges
Offense: Spamming

This category includes:
* Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish.
* Saying the same phrase more than once in a period of 30 seconds.

Based on a review of the information presented, this Diablo III account has had its chat privileges suspended. While the account has been placed under review, you will be unable to speak to other players using any chat systems in Diablo III. Should spamming behaviour continue we may proceed to apply further penalties including extended suspension of chat privileges, account suspension, or account closure. Once an account has been closed, any heroes, items, or auctions will be irretrievable.

For further information, please review the Diablo III Policies (http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-policies) and Terms of Use Agreement (http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/legal/d3_tou.html).

Any disputes or questions concerning this account action can only be addressed by submitting a ticket through the Battle.net support site. To submit a ticket, please visit http://battle.net/support/ticket/submit. Our support team will not be able to investigate account actions over the phone.

We understand that these policies may seem harsh, but they are in place to ensure that every player is able to enjoy their time spent on Battle.net. Thank you for respecting our position.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
Diablo III Customer Support
http://battle.net/support
Reply Quote
I am getting the same emails, some are at 4 in the morning, others are while I am at work. I have changed my PW, but it is really odd since I haven't played the game for a few weeks now...
Reply Quote
i got 3 so far... i havent loged on for a few days and im scare that my lv 36 dh wil get deleted. this is why you dont make diablo an online only game. i think my account was hacked.
Reply Quote
Okay it's not just me then. I just got 2 in a row. 1 when I wasn't even playing. Going to change PW as well.
Reply Quote
It's just phishing spam.

Here's the REAL support page: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit. Notice that it's different than the one in the email.

If I remember correctly, Blizzard, and many games, don't put links like that in the emails. They tell you to go to their site and use it to go to support. Because of spam like this.
Reply Quote
I am getting a similar one to this aswell but I have never spoken to anyon whilest playing.

Greetings,

Account Name: ***********@hotmail.co.uk

A user of the above account has recently been involved in actions deemed inappropriate for Diablo III by the In-Game Support staff of Blizzard Entertainment.

Account Action: 1 Hour Suspension of Chat Privilegees
Offense: Spamming
This category includes:
* Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish.
* Saying the same phrase more than once in a period of 30 seconds.

Based on a review of the information presented, this Diablo III account has had its chat privileges suspended. While the account has been placed under review, you will be unable to speak to other players via any avenue of Diablo III. Should spamming behavior continue, we may proceed to apply further penalties including extended suspension of chat privileges, account suspension, or account closure. Once an account has been closed, any characters, items, or auctions will be irretrievable.

For further information, please review the Diablo III Policies and Terms of Use Agreement: (http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-policies) and (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_tou.html).

Any disputes or questions concerning this account action can only be addressed by Account Administration. To learn more about how Account Administration is able to assist you, please visit: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-administration-overview. Customer Support is not equipped to handle this type of account access inquiry via phone. You must contact Account Administration via a Support Site ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit.

We understand that these policies may seem harsh, but they are in place to ensure that every player is able to enjoy their time spent on Battle.net. Thank you for respecting our position.

Regards,

Blizzard Entertainment
Diablo III Customer Support
http://battle.net/support
Edited by PurgatoryUK#2646 on 6/30/2012 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
While it is possible that someone else is on your account using it to advertise gold selling sites, most of these are phishing scam emails. NEVER click the links in them. Always go directly to the battle.net web site through your own navigation and deal with it there. There is another one going around saying they think you are trying to sell your account and then asking you to log in to a site and verify all sorts of things that Blizzard would never ask such as your password.

If you think it is real and might be the result of a hacker then secure your account! Change your password from a secure PC and consider getting an authenticator (Mobile Application for free or the keychain for $6.50)
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Yeah, these are phishing e-mails. They're definitely sneakier than the typical ones, however. The links in them would take you to infected websites mocked-up to look like our own webpages. There, you'd either type in your login info directly to the gold selling company who is phishing you, or the site itself would try to inject a trojan into your computer. Or both.

In this case, the easiest way to tell if you really are suspended from Diablo III or not is simply to try logging into the game. If you log in fine then you weren't really suspended. ^_^
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
y bet is that you all joined one of the Diablo fan sites and now they use your email address to try to phish. All the others that used the same password for the fan site as their battlenet account have probably already been hacked.

That's very, very likely. Well, except the guaranteed hacked part. As long as you have an authenticator it doesn't matter if they manage to get your password or not. :)

The gold sellers get most people's login information by raiding the databases of game sites. Companies are legally required to announce when their databases are breached, but most gaming websites never even realize that they were compromised in the first place.
Reply Quote
//TL;DR: Don't be stupid, use different passwords for different sites. Preferably use whole sentences.

And that is also why you shouldn't use the same password for multiple sites... Maybe use an easier one for forums you only visit once, or that aren't important (and don't contain much personal info in your profile). The easiest way to remember multiple passwords that in the same time are hard to crack, is to make up a nonsense sentence that you can remember and change a certain part of it according to the site you're on. Be sure to add a number somewhere, some sites require you to use at least one non alphabetical character in your password (even though this doesn't significantly strengthen it, but that's another discussion.)

For instance: youwontbeabletoguessthisbe3. Here, I've taken the sentence 'you won't be able to guess this' and added the first and last letter of the site's name (battle -> be). The number could be your favourite number or anything other easy to remember.
The less sense the sentence makes, the better. Rainbow tables and other methods to guess passwords use statistical info about which words are often used together (in normal, logical language) and try those combos first (simple dictionary search).
The method described above also creates rather long passwords, which is good. Each alphanumeric character added, multiplies the possible passwords by 36. 36^n makes for a rather steep exponential curve. When we do the math for our example password this gives us: 36^27 = 1,0475...x10^42, Let's say a 1 with 42 zeros. Cracking this with brute-forcing would literally take ages.
Edited by Propheticus#2724 on 6/30/2012 5:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Kaltonis -- How are they able to spoof Blizzard Entertainment's address? These emails come to me through Hotmail. Back when I was in college I set up a site that someone could send email to anyone using whatever "From:" address they wanted; obviously those emails ended up in most recipient's Junk Mail filters. This one goes the full nine, even getting Hotmail's trusted sender approval.

Either way, I'll ignore them. But someone should alert Hotmail...
Reply Quote
I've had similar emails, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't phishing - when I logged into my account afterwards I got a popup from the game saying that there had been some login issues with my account and asked for the answer to my secret question. Also, the help ticket link sent to me in the email matches the URL for the real support page and the email itself was shown as sent from noreply@blizzard.com

I'm not a member of any game forums and I haven't logged on for a long time so this does seem weird.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
sdsdfds - your issue could be the recently applied login detection system that looks for changes in your login pattern. If it notices something different then it forces you to do a password change using your secret question. This is working as intended.

The other emails are phishing scams as others have noted. Regarding spoofing the "from" address ...that is very common although most good services these days look for it and stick it in the junk mail. There is an article here http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/phishing about it that tells you how to identify them. Additionally you can look up the directions for your email provider online to find out how to view the headers.
Reply Quote
OK well i got the emails even thought my pc has been off for the last 4 days as i was away on business, and when i tried to get into diable III it said i was blocked. I have logged a ticket but could there be something esle wrong? As i have not used it it seems very strange i have been blocked.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Daswald,

If you think you were compromised follow the instructions to secure your PC and regain your account. http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/compromised-diablo-iii-account

Otherwise, note that we have said the above emails were phishing emails. So if you got one, then followed a link that could have gotten you hacked. Regardless, follow the procedures above for account compromise. If you are still suspended after you regain access then you can appeal it. As long as any bad actions happened when it was compromised they will give you the account back.

Also, consider getting an Authenticator (Mobile Phone App or Keychain version)
Reply Quote
I've gotten the same e-mails and it's from Blizzard's adress and with URLs to different Blizzard sites. Also, I can't login and play as it sais I'm suspended.

I've submitted a ticket at the support site.

What's going on?
Reply Quote
They're DEFINETLY NOT phsing emails. I really did get my account suspended and I only chatted twice during the past 2 months however I got 5 emails saying that I had done so ething wrong
Reply Quote
Same thing happened to me today
Reply Quote
Support does not work either, I have had this occur 5x in a row. I come home from work and say something like "Uhm remember my account was hacked and you gave it back to me last night." And I get a response that says something like "OH yeah sorry, here is your account back." Then by 7:00 AM my account is banned again. I have followed all of the procedures (once with AVG, once with Norton and once with Microsofts malicious software remover) I feel very confident of my machines security. Problem is on Blizzards side if you ask me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]