Diablo® III

Posession, Butterfly Magic, and more musings

90 Human Warrior
Alright, let's start off with posession and how it previously worked in the Diablo universe prior to D3, which from a lore standpoint was a slap in the face to the universe (in my humble opinion).

Posession of a human by a demon in all previous works (book and game) in diablo worked as follows

1) Demon posessed human, corruption slowly becomes more evident

2) Human became more demonic in physical appearance and in personality, slowly losing control until;

3) breaking free from said posession, or losing one's self to it

As for the case of Diablo and Leah, it was the other way around. After Imperius incinerated Leah (Diablo's host) in the beginning of Act IV, Diablo emerged looking more FEMENINE, as if he took on aspects of Leah. I'm not sure what kind of politically correct bull!@#$ Blizzard was trying to pull there, but Diablo is the LORD of Terror, and I'm sure anyone that remembers his hulking demonic form from previous games and artwork wasn't pleased with the skimpy "prime" evil we were given as a final boss.

Shame on you blizzard

Now, onto Butterfly Magic.

To begin, I know that Cain was getting old, and I would have accepted his death if it had been justified and worthy of the most (arguably top 2) iconic figure in the entire universe, but no

Deckard Cain, the Last of the Horadrim, was killed by some butterfly magic wielded by a scooby-doo-esque "meddling barbarian!" villain in the very first act. Again, I feel insulted by this.

I could go into the "siege tactics" of Azmodan, the many plot holes, the 5th grade level writing, the inserted pop culture references (so common in blizzard games, but not common in diablo...until now), or many other things that miffed me about the game, but I won't. If you're visiting the lore board, you probably hold the same interest/passion in lore as myself and made your own decisions on the matter, which I'd love to hear.

Thanks for reading my rant if you made it through; I understand if you have varying opinions and if I'm wrong about my posession analysis or anything else feel free to bombard me with insults

tl;dr
Diablita and Butterflies...why
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Zombietank
Diablo is the LORD of Terror

Joke's on you. He's also the LADY of Terror.

It'll be another operation or two before he fixes his voice.

the 5th grade level writing

It's always been 5th grade level writing.

5th graders have gotten dumber over the past 12 years.
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Zombietank
Posession of a human by a demon in all previous works (book and game) in diablo worked as follows

its not really possession ... she IS the incarnation of Diablo
and because of the black soulstone she is even more than Diablo she is the Prime Evil

Well so the story is ok in that direction

Maghda on the other hand is annoying ... She reminds me of Shrek 2 :D

What really freaks me out is the end cinematic ... Too much "Humans and angels are fighting evil together" bull!@#$
Reply Quote
Just give up lol! Accept Maghda was the Jar-Jar Binks of the franchise and that's the end of it.

Hopefully our constructive criticism got through on the story though, so they can maybe hire someone like Jonathan Nolan to write the expac :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]