Diablo® III

Anyone else let down with ACT Environments?

Only place that seemed new was High Heavens, all previous acts were just rehashes of what we saw in previous games.
Reply Quote
ed-zachary +1
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
They are still the best done things in the game, despite being rehashes.
Reply Quote
And of course we see the least of the Heavens as well... Yes it was a bit of a let down; the environments were definitely well done but it felt like a redo of previous games rather than exposing us to something new. Hopefully expansions will bring us to new areas and not take place in a Kurast-like jungle or something.
Reply Quote
Well, that's the problem: all the typical dark fantasy settings have been covered.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 7/3/2012 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This has been one of my few complaints about this game is that there isn't enough new. I really think 10 years from now this is going to be one of the best games of all time. Right now I like it but it's not even in my top 10 maybe not even top 20.
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 07:02 AMPosted by Gurgi
And of course we see the least of the Heavens as well... Yes it was a bit of a let down; the environments were definitely well done but it felt like a redo of previous games rather than exposing us to something new. Hopefully expansions will bring us to new areas and not take place in a Kurast-like jungle or something.

While playing through act 4 I thought I was in the "Well of Eternity" dungeon in WoW.

Also, anyone realize there is no place in this damn game where you actually go to and fight in Hell? Arreat crater and hell rifts don't count!
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 08:38 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Well, that's the problem: all the typical dark fantasy settings have been covered.

I don't think so. For example, they could have made Zoltun Kulle some kind of asian mage. This would be an excuse for Act 2 to be held in an oriental city / environment.
Edited by zerothehero#1697 on 7/3/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Zero

I don't think so. For example, they could have made Zoltun Kulle some kind of oriental mage. This would be an excuse for Act 2 to be held in an oriental city / environment.

Sorry to be the politically correct cop on the beat....but "oriental" refers to things. "Asian" refers to the people. =P
Reply Quote
@avauntzero

thanks for the tip.
Reply Quote
Since when in D2 where we fighting along castle bridges and on castle walls? Act3 is pretty darn awesome. I like all acts... they look amazing. Are you suggesting that we shouldnt visit the cathedral in tristram? Or the city caldeum?
Reply Quote
NP Zero =)

Cambo...I agree they do look amazing. I think most of us are having a problem with the concepts of the settings themselves. Sure its nice to revisit the cathedral and the desert city, and the ramparts in act 3. But they are all rehashes of stuff from Diablo 1 and especially 2.

I personally just think they could have done better with all the time they had to develop the game.
Reply Quote
Different setting option 2:

"The forgotten civilization ruins" - in D3 case, it could be ruins of the nephalem... roman / greek inspired, perhaps ?
Reply Quote
Different setting option 2:

"The forgotten civilization ruins" - in D3 case, it could be ruins of the nephalem... roman / greek inspired, perhaps ?

That would be neat...like an 'atlantis' or something.
Reply Quote
I've gotta say I was a little let down. I saw Tristram in Diablo, and I got a desert and barbarian highlands in DII and its expansion, hell, I've already been to hell so even the insides of Arreat crater weren't that interesting! The Heavens were really the only new, cool environments in the game. Sanctuary is so big, why couldn't we have gone to the Skovos Islands or Ureh or something?
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 11:08 AMPosted by Omacron
I've gotta say I was a little let down. I saw Tristram in Diablo, and I got a desert and barbarian highlands in DII and its expansion, hell, I've already been to hell so even the insides of Arreat crater weren't that interesting! The Heavens were really the only new, cool environments in the game. Sanctuary is so big, why couldn't we have gone to the Skovos Islands or Ureh or something?

This is true.
Take a look at Sanctuary map. So much to explore... probably, Xiansai is the Blizzard's version of China, and the Dry Steppes is the equivalent to the mongolian steppes.
Reply Quote
It doesn't matter where they are located; forests will still be forests, ruins will still be ruins, and so on.
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 11:50 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
It doesn't matter where they are located; forests will still be forests, ruins will still be ruins, and so on.

A pine forest looks very different from a bamboo forest and ruins can vary greatly based on the culture that originally built them.
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 11:50 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf

On Earth, sure. But Blizz has shown us some pretty diverse settings before.
Reply Quote
Sanctuary is essentially Earth.

Unless Blizzard send Diablo into space, there's so much they can do with existing settings.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]