Diablo® III

Can Blue Post Why Gear Swap Button Is Bad?

EDIT: I'm withdrawling my confusion/complaint here. Bashiok made a clarification that makes more sense in this post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6008841823?page=1

-------
(original OP)

It seems to be the elephant in the room right now.

Why, if you have no philosophical problem with MF gear swapping, did you not include an option to have a gear swap button/alternative gear set?

Help me understand, please.
Edited by Bodach#1471 on 7/3/2012 10:52 AM PDT
View profile
because it is the same issue we having right now?

the idea is TO FIX PLAYERS SWAPPING TO MF GEAR BEFORE SOMETHING DIES.
NOT MAINSTREAM IT.

plus as of right now you can use macros or auto it that will simply do this for you
and it not traceable so it will never be considered something that can or will be banned
More gear = less blizz profit = nerf mf.
Games from 6 years ago (Titan Quest) had gear swapping. They don't like to take advice from ideas that work.

Same reason you can't turn off seeing white and broken items on the ground. They have ignorant people making the decisions and won't take the best parts of other games. :/
Edited by LordStark#1380 on 7/3/2012 10:19 AM PDT
07/03/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Hyperactive
TO FIX PLAYERS SWAPPING TO MF GEAR BEFORE SOMETHING DIES

Well, I'm confused.

The blog post states:

...swap it in shortly before a kill. Philosophically we don't have a problem with the practice.

So they are saying there is no fix needed other than:

many players have said they don't enjoy doing it but feel the benefit is too large to ignore.

Wouldn't the next logical step be a gear swap button?
Edited by Bodach#1471 on 7/3/2012 10:21 AM PDT
Bodach becareful... When people make too much sense on these forums the topics get deleted!
stop swapping by sating one piece every 3 seconds and ban the exploiters
Um you have to understand that MF is not what they have a problem with as a whole. The problem is that MF gear means you sacrifice other stats - damage, utility, survivability - to increase your odds of getting good gear. You shouldn't be able to essentially run MF gear with no downsides, which is basically what is happening with people gear swapping at the last second to MF. You fight in your regular gear benefiting from the normal stats, and then you swap at the last second to benefit from MF while not really taking a hit to the stats you actually need. It's BS, that's why.

Even if they are ok with doing it, they don't want players to feel like they have to do it - which is pretty common right now since everybody wants to make the most of their time.
Edited by Skraal#1429 on 7/3/2012 10:24 AM PDT
07/03/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Skraal
Um you have to understand that MF is not what they have a problem with as a whole. The problem is that MF gear means you sacrifice other stats - damage, utility, survivability - to increase your odds of getting good gear. You shouldn't be able to essentially run MF gear with no downsides, which is basically what is happening with people gear swapping at the last second to MF. You fight in your regular gear benefiting from the normal stats, and then you swap at the last second to benefit from MF while not really taking a hit to the stats you actually need. It's BS, that's why.

I agree, it's a mechanic that needs to be tuned to better utility; but not nerfed. The problem is "having to do it" in order to play at max efficiency, not that there is an ability to do so. Like they said, they don't have a philosophical problem with it, but realize it's merits come at a cost of "chore-ishness"/"lost of momentum" kind of thing.

So if the fix is to make the philosophically accepted mechanic less "chore-ish", then why not do so?

I'm just saying, the blog post doesn't seem to mesh with the options and I'd love to get some clarification as to why from a CM.

The options would make sense if the fix was to get rid of gear swapping as a mechanic. But they said they have no problem with it.
"Can Blue Post Why Gear Swap Button Is Bad?"

No they can't, cuz it's not.

The most reasonable thing I can think of, from their perspective, is that they won't/can't do it cuz they planned to sell that to us later, in an expansion.
07/03/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Skraal
Even if they are ok with doing it, they don't want players to feel like they have to do it - which is pretty common right now since everybody wants to make the most of their time.

The only reason to play this game is to get better gear. Blizz did this to themselves.

The gameplay is not there for new and exciting different builds like Titan Quest and the game is way to linear to feel like it's a little different each playthrough. Again, they did this to max profits from the idiots spending $250 in real life so they can leach money from their insanity.
Get gear that has stats with magic find, instead of wearing !@#$ty magic find gear with no stats on it. problem solved.
Bashiok just tweeted:

Do you really want to carry around a whole second set?

I guess giving a secondary worn gear inventory is out of the question. Even so, I suppose the answer would be yes. People are doing it; and if you force them to have to do so without a secondary worn gear inventory, then they will continue to.

So, it'd probably be best to just add a gear swap button with a secondary inventory, otherwise the clunkiness of the mechanic is only half way dealt with.
As far as a second set of gear, this too was already done in a prior game to an extent. In Titan Quest you had a second "doll" set of (I believe) a weapon and shield spot so you culd hot swap between having a melee sword and shield and go with a bow on the run, no changing anything in your inventory.
I'm withdrawling my confusion/complaint here. Bashiok made a clarification that makes more sense in this post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6008841823?page=1
Community Manager
07/03/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bodach
Why, if you have no philosophical problem with MF gear swapping, did you not include an option to have a gear swap button/alternative gear set?

Parting the veils a little bit here...

There was some debate about Magic Find gear swapping before the game shipped. Some of our developers and testers thought it was fun way to game the system, while others felt it was too much of a hassle. In the end, we decided to allow gear swapping, thinking that the players who wanted to do it would, and the players who don't enjoy the practice wouldn't. Of course, what actually happened is that some players got caught in the crossfire -- players who didn't really enjoy gear swapping or want to carry around an extra set of MF gear all the time, but felt like they had to in order to be as efficient as possible.

So, when Wyatt says we "didn't have a problem with it philosophically," it means we were aware of the practice of gear swapping and understood that the player base had differing opinions on it, but didn't want to make any changes to it unless the community asked for it outright (since we knew it was fun for a select group of players). It did not mean it was deliberately a practice we wanted to encourage everybody to do. Supporting and promoting gear swapping by adding a button could only complicate the current problem of players feeling like the they need to gear swap in order to be really efficient, even if they don't enjoy it; it also increases the need for storage space (both server-side and in a player's inventory) and adds complexity to a UI that's otherwise designed to be very simple and straightforward.

So, more or less this:

because it is the same issue we having right now?

the idea is TO FIX PLAYERS SWAPPING TO MF GEAR BEFORE SOMETHING DIES.
NOT MAINSTREAM IT.

Right now, we're opening discussion to the community on how best to move forward. We're considering a lot of different solutions (some of which were pulled from ideas posted in these forums) and would like your feedback. We realize that there are pros and cons to every solution we listed, and want to get your take on them as well. If you have alternative ideas, please feel free to share them!

(By the way, saying that you'd prefer a button over the other options is totally valid feedback, as is saying that you'd prefer to see no change at all. Just keep in mind that our goal, if possible, is to come up with a viable solution to the problem of players feeling like they need to gear swap even if they don't actually feel like it's fun gameplay.)
Edited by Lylirra on 7/3/2012 11:34 AM PDT
Stop making negative changes, that is all we ask for.

Adding a swap system like what Diablo 2 has with its swap system is nothing but a plus. More diablo, less WoW

As many players have mentioned, we don't want any of these bad options. here's something amazing to think about; how about not changing anything? And if you have to change things, import the amazingness that is Diablo 2

Diablo 2 LoDs' item data base is far superior in every way than Diablo 3 is, yet the game is 12 years old and you guys are still nerfing item stats left and right from Diablo 3. I want to ask what is even there to nerf.. but i realize people are trying to hold onto any good stats that are even available in Diablo 3

First it was increased attack speed, now it's going to be MF (not to mention all the other nerfs throughout the game that has happened). Radically changing the meta game is not healthy when it is tied to your customers credit cards.
Edited by nighttimes#1970 on 7/3/2012 11:19 AM PDT
IF PEOPLE WANT MF, THEY SHOULD EARN IT.

Why is bashiok in favour of MF swap?

I am sure most of your spent like 10k a piece on a blue with 18-20% MF to swap out before landing a killing blow or opening that resplendant chest.

But what about those, including me, who spent most of our hard earned gold searching the AH for days to find a piece of gear which comes with MF and costs like 500k-1.5m ? Why are we punished?

People are not earning the right to MF by spending 10k for a piece of 18-20% Mf gear to swap out. They should pay for it in the form of taking up inventory slots and by right clicking every piece of gear they want to swap.

Why change anything at all BASHIOK?

What I want to say is...

PLEASE LEAVE MF SWAP ALONE!!!!!!!

I paid tons of gold to have MF on my main gear so I do not have to swap.

If john doe wants to pay 10k for each piece of blue with 20% so they can swap out at the last second, they should pay for it too, in the form of taking up inventory slots and right clicking each gear piece.

It is not fair for the rest of us who decided at the start of the game to not have to bother with swapping gear and paid more gold for gear which comes with MF.

Why the F are you punishing those who spent a premium on MF gear?
by changing anything at all, you will devalue my gear which is now easily swappable with a binded key to cheap !@# 10k a piece mf gear.

If blizz changes this, it will be the final straw for me to quit.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]