Diablo® III

End game solutions?

We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

ladder system you fools

honestly what was engaging about d2? patches held for 1-2 years at times why was this fun for players THE LADDER SYSTEM WITH EXCLUSIVE GEAR derp i just saved you game
Edited by Ender#1987 on 7/3/2012 1:48 PM PDT
07/03/2012 01:45 PMPosted by jamesdooney
So you're basically saying Blizzard released an unfinished game?

more or less i think there regretting the design choices.
Even the PVP arena will become stale very fast if you are rolling out what was available on youtube or tested at Blizzcon.

I offered an alternative PVP style in the first week of release as I already hit that wall of progression.

DOTA styled PVP where you pit two sides of players against each other. Gold and Loot drops will be earned. Winners will receive a big Resplendent chest while losers will receive a consolation chest. Everybody wins.

Record the "ladder" scores and have a leaderboard.

Offer ratings and matchmaking.
" sure wish the diablo 3 developers had actually played diablo 2 before making this game..."

this...

I don't know about you dude but if i had sold over 6 million copies but i've only got hundreds and hundreads of thousands of people a month after relase. Well christ i'd be damn worried!

Even more so because that would imply that there are 5 million people who Blizzard can't persuade to even use RMAH.

We're talking about concurrency here, not unique players. I think you also overestimate how many people actually play the games they purchase every day, or even every week.

Of course they do! I sampled myself and people I know like myself who have similar habits, and based on my study, 100% of all players play as often as I do. Therefore, all players play every day of the week!
25 Blood Elf Priest

I don't know about you dude but if i had sold over 6 million copies but i've only got hundreds and hundreads of thousands of people a month after relase. Well christ i'd be damn worried!

Even more so because that would imply that there are 5 million people who Blizzard can't persuade to even use RMAH.

We're talking about concurrency here, not unique players. I think you also overestimate how many people actually play the games they purchase every day, or even every week.

I'm just one person but I know a few others who have the game and that I play with now and again. I think I'm in the game just about every day but only for an hour or so; most everyone else plays 3 or 4 times a week.

There are things like real life, other games, movies, watching television, going out, reading, and a wide variety of other pursuits that don't involve sitting in front of a monitor for 10-12 hours a day every day.

Tunnel vision is an interesting phenomemon and there's a ton of it here.
07/03/2012 01:47 PMPosted by KyRoS
Thanks for a real answer Bashiok. At least you guys admit the shortcomings. I'm sure there was pressure to get this game released when it was and Blizz didn't have time to get all the features in they'd like. "When it's done" seems to apply to only Valve and indie devs any more. Even the mighty Blizzard gets mega pressure from the top levels to get it out ASAP. I blame Bobby.

i dont blame bashok at all for the mess like you said u blame bobby i blame his bosses for not letting him actually have creative control of a game he was sticking his name on.
As with every work of art, there's no such thing as a truly "finished" game.
90 Orc Hunter
Ladder would only benefit RMAH, though a lot of ragequits in the meantime. Ladder would need to be on a specific and predictable schedule for people to trust it enough to buy stuff.

Imagine people paying 250 for a week one 1100 damage 2 hander... Then later paying another 250 for a 1100 1-hander, 2 months before ladder expires and blizz does it all again.

Imagine how happy a real government would be if they could just stamp out all tax exempt wealth every 6 months, requiring a trend toward high level commerce instead of constantly trending down... That is what ladder does.

A reset or ladder system is heavily needed, the disparity with the AH right now is very bad. Very very rarely do you find anything even worth selling nowadays. And the people that are farming all these items are still those same people that farmed them with all that IAS, they just switched out crit this time. Some melee characters are progressing and doing well, but the fact is the playing field as a community is so imbalanced, but there is no real point in farming items right now as there is nothing to look forward to when you get a legendary.
No one will pay real money for an item that will be reset with a ladder. Even if its 6 months off.
We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

wait.. but wow hasn't had any new content in over a year, right?

World of Warcraft uses a different system then d3 does. Litterly they could plug damn near anything into world of Warcraft hit server reset and it will be in game.. D3 doesn't work like that.
What I don't get is that Blizz already knows how to reset gear in Diablo... LADDER PLAY. You get to erase all the "exploited" and or pre-nerf drops from the economy overnight, and the community will THANK you for it.

you absolutely cannot implement ladder seasons when people are paying real money for gear. that's a lawsuit and a half right there.

could probably implement game modes though. like say implementing a race mode, where you create a level 1 char that gets unlocked at a certain time say every day at noon a new batch is started, and everyone else who opted into that also get unlocked, and you can't buy any gear from the AH. and it's a race to get to 60. give out some cool rewards blah blah

people would play the hell out of that. give out like, 15$ blizzard bucks to the top 5. 5$ to the next 25 runner ups.
Even the PVP arena will become stale very fast if you are rolling out what was available on youtube or tested at Blizzcon.

I offered an alternative PVP style in the first week of release as I already hit that wall of progression.

DOTA styled PVP where you pit two sides of players against each other. Gold and Loot drops will be earned. Winners will receive a big Resplendent chest while losers will receive a consolation chest. Everybody wins.

Record the "ladder" scores and have a leaderboard.

Offer ratings and matchmaking.

go play wow man thats not diablo; hack and slash gameplay with item drops that scale as the game gets harder is how its always been done the issue people have is that they have to run around like jackasses instead of standing fighting (game gets overnerfed) now the issue is econmic decline to the point items and gold cant be earned unless your farming act 3-4 (buffed drop rates) uihhh okay softcore is ruined ill play hardcore (economy is fine and game is engaging)

issue is hardcore = 4% of population max

Implement a ladder system
allow hostile pvp arena (just a small little place to kill one another)

allow players that spend hours farming acts to engage in higher drop rates might seem nice the follow in it get 5 stacks in inferno act 1 open to public and do butcher its what i do make either 100k or 10 million (w/e ill just sell my stuff ooo wait everyone is doing this)

ladder system is all you need to fix this game and keep softcore players engaged they just want to be able to look and say HA im better then them
25 Blood Elf Priest
07/03/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Zedonius
Still waiting on a answer to my question regarding Item rolls. Can a item duplicate on the server? IE. Can you have 2 helms with the exact same stats and sockets?

Yes, this is a known bug. Sometimes items will drop as twins.
90 Orc Hunter
Don't know how realistic these short term fixes can be, but my suggestions:

1) Higher Level Cap
2) Get your plans out and made public, people need to know what the state of the game is and it's future intentions, the community is just holding their breath
3) Ladder System quickly, the game in it's current state needs to just be reset. Everyone needs to start on an even playing field. Every successful ARPG has had some sort of ladder system.
4) Hold weekly tournaments, such things as hardcore leveling contests, or speed runs of acts, something to keep people engaged with some cosmetic items and maybe some crafting mats or things like that, nothing gamebreaking.
5) The AH really just needs to be reset with a ladder system too, the economy is probably ruined for a very long time.

economy is not ruined, i could afford 1 really good upgrade back then 2-4 mill, and i can afford 1 really good upgrade now, 6-10 mill. how is it any different?

Depends on how good your gear is, one good upgrade for me is gonna be anywhere from 50-200million, you realize you aren't the only player in the game right? Many people are sitting in very good gear with no real point in farming for the .00001% chance to get an upgrade and then do what sell items to make money to buy upgrades to progress in a game you have already beaten? Clearly, the level of loot that is on the AH was not supposed to be on the AH yet, which is what Bashiok is clearly hinting at, they expected people to be gearing for months while they worked on content.
07/03/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Mensalidin
Then why did you release the game?

What do you expect, dude? It's not like they had 10 years to develop D3 or anything.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]