The game gave you what you needed in order to complete it..
Everything after that, was want, you chose to continue playing.
Yes, but nothing has changed for D3.
a 1200 DPS 1h weapon. Do I need it? No. My 980 dps 1h weapon works perfectly fine to clear through Inferno.
Same for D2. Did I need a perfect Windforce? No, a high level yellow (or blue) bow with Increased Damage/IAS and sockets worked fine. But if I wanted it, people were willing to trade/sell it. Same with D3.
The major difference is the Legendaries/Set items. They need to be buffed. Here's the main problems -
1. Legendaries can not double-spawn an affix. If they have an auto-mod affix, it rules out that mod randomly spawning. So a Legendary with 20% damage will NOT spawn 80% as well.
2. Legendaries are ilvl 62 and below. People want ilvl 63 yellows, which vastly outstrip them. Buff up ilvl to 63 for top-end Legendaries.
3. Legendaries / Set items below ilvl 40 need a drop rate increase. They are usually good items for their level, but rarely found useful.
4. Random Affix spawns for Legendaries/Sets needs to be increased by 1-4 per item. What's wrong with a Legendary having 10 affixes and 6 of them auto-mods? NOTHING, it's a freaking Legendary! You'll still find crappy ones, but they'll be much more useful.
5. Allow Legendaries to "break" affix cielings. See point 1 about double-spawning affixes. If I get lucky and roll 2x dmg affixes on a Legendary, let it be over 100%. It's a LEGENDARY.