Diablo® III

End game solutions?

07/03/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thank you very much for this informative and honest answer. Though to be honest what this answer really reveals is "we didn't have a real end game ready or in mind and aren't sure how to retain customers, the game was released before it was quite ready, possibly because of the giant outcry from the fans"

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but we believed pre-release that the item hunt would be far more sustainable, and would work to be a proper end-game for quite a while. That didn't turn out to be true, and we recognize that.

Your honestly, and insight, is appreciated. I still haven't updated my D3 client to 1.03, much less whatever patch you're on now, but I appreciate your honesty.
07/03/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Mensalidin
Then why did you release the game?

Can you please stop focusing on the past. It is done, nothing you can do about it now, so can we all try to look forward to what D3 can be and try to encourage Blizzard to create the best possible Diablo experience with the base they released.

The potential for a great Diablo game is still there and I will keep showing support for future efforts into reaching that goal.
We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

I'll buy that for a $1. Recognizing there's a problem with the end-game is the first step towards fixing it.
Wrong, it's been in development for 3-4 years.

Development time is not equal to time since last release.

Wrong...

The announcement was in 2008..considering the videos that existed and were made public at that time...the game was certainly under development for a few years prior to 2008...
Hence 6 yrs...at the least.

D2 LoD was release in 2001...that is eleven years

In 2005 Blizzard North was given the axe and all development on their version of D3 stopped..

More likely than not, this game has been in development since 2006...and it sucks.
We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

So, was the game even finished or thought out completely prior to release? I would think experience and huge budgets would produce a much more thoughtful and long-term game philosophy rather than the sell a few million games, then figure it out how to make the game fun later. You know if this were a free to play game it would have been a complete disaster, the main reason folks are still in it (like myself) is because we invested $60 and want my money's worth---we are still waiting, and it seems like Blizzard is still trying to figure out how to make Diablo III.

It is kind of insulting.
07/03/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Mensalidin
Then why did you release the game?

Is it just me or does anyone else remember the nerd rages because the game kept begin pushed back?
You don't have to play right now and still raging, the game is not pay to play. Come back in 2 years and rage then if the game is still the same.
07/03/2012 03:17 PMPosted by RooK
more random events to make even farming feel unique ;x

Remember the potion you get from the statue that you find in Act3 in Diablo2? Little things like that make for "warm and fuzzy" moments.

I guess you either didn't read his entire reply, or didn't understand it.

In the "D" series (Diablo), there is no end game.

This is not WoW or any other game.

Actually, WoW doesn't have a true "end game" either since it continues foreever. Even after you kill the big boss, you keep farming the area and wait for the next expansion.

You could say killing Diablo in Act 4 of inferno is the end game, but it's a big repetition after that. Make new character, go to 60, rinse and repeat.

People who like to PvP, do PvP things (once that is released). If you like PvE, you keep doing PvE things.

You could make a lot of level 60 characters because Blizzard has said previously that they may allow the sale of characters. In that case, you could keep going on and on.

This leads me to my main gripe - if you cannot complete the game (beating all difficulties) with a single character with over +100 hours put in, the game is broken. Sure, in the beginning when there were really OP characters, it was possible, but it is not possible with a barbarian unless you are magically given 100 million gold to buy the gear needed.

This is flawed and needs to be fixed. The most logical solution is to remove the level 60 cap. Then start working on a real skill tree like the Diablo 3 beta had.

What? There are TONS of videos on Youtube showing how you can beat inferno with barb for under 1m.
07/03/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Feafase
That's just like, your opinion, man.

Which part is my opinion?

That it sucks..

Or has been in development for 6 years...still under development really.
I'm not sure why everyone is saying D2 doesn't have end game content.

It took much longer to level and it had a ladder system, not to mention a hardcore ladder system. There was quite a bit more to do in D2. D2 also had PVP.

D3 came out 10 years later, no it shouldn't have a WOW amount of end game content, but it should have more than it's 10 year old prequel.

Plenty of great suggestions have been given.

The issue of ACT 4 was completely ignored in the response, why is it the worst farm in the game?
30 Undead Priest
My endgame right now is hardcore mode it will tide me over for at least a few monks my monk will make it this time i know it :P *whistle*
Very important..
You wanted...

The game gave you what you needed in order to complete it..

Everything after that, was want, you chose to continue playing.
Yes, but nothing has changed for D3.
I want a 1200 DPS 1h weapon. Do I need it? No. My 980 dps 1h weapon works perfectly fine to clear through Inferno.

Same for D2. Did I need a perfect Windforce? No, a high level yellow (or blue) bow with Increased Damage/IAS and sockets worked fine. But if I wanted it, people were willing to trade/sell it. Same with D3.

The major difference is the Legendaries/Set items. They need to be buffed. Here's the main problems -
1. Legendaries can not double-spawn an affix. If they have an auto-mod affix, it rules out that mod randomly spawning. So a Legendary with 20% damage will NOT spawn 80% as well.
2. Legendaries are ilvl 62 and below. People want ilvl 63 yellows, which vastly outstrip them. Buff up ilvl to 63 for top-end Legendaries.
3. Legendaries / Set items below ilvl 40 need a drop rate increase. They are usually good items for their level, but rarely found useful.
4. Random Affix spawns for Legendaries/Sets needs to be increased by 1-4 per item. What's wrong with a Legendary having 10 affixes and 6 of them auto-mods? NOTHING, it's a freaking Legendary! You'll still find crappy ones, but they'll be much more useful.
5. Allow Legendaries to "break" affix cielings. See point 1 about double-spawning affixes. If I get lucky and roll 2x dmg affixes on a Legendary, let it be over 100%. It's a LEGENDARY.
Act I has an environment you can interact with (traps) act IV feels like it was tossed together and fluffed up with a few corny mid tier bosses iskatu and izaul.
07/03/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Vulgrym

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but we believed pre-release that the item hunt would be far more sustainable, and would work to be a proper end-game for quite a while. That didn't turn out to be true, and we recognize that.

The efficiency of the AH in terms of distributing gear sufficient enough to see all aspects of the game very quickly had a lot to do with this.

The AH has been hurtful to D3 in so many ways ...

Exactly. I completely agree. AH was ultimately what sunk D3. Imagine the game without it, completely different, and would avoid many of the 'balance' and 'drop rate' issues, and folks would maybe still be attempting to get through Inferno.

The distribution of the best gear is so seamless that all characters are probably overpowered compared to what Blizz thought would be. The entire game balance and flow is different than what they tried to design. Oops.
85 Human Paladin
The Diablo series don't have end game. If Blizzard wants me or any body else to play more they will take out that ridiculous repair bill. The chest runs and breaking of pots are a unique feature that has caused many friends to quit. If item hunt is the name of the game don't nerf the !@#$. If you look at the player skill nerfs compared to the boss and champ packs its fucing hilarious. The champ packs and bosses enrage and have reflect damage plus fast plus pull you to them instant death wtf lmao. Guild Wars 2 will kill this game and kiddy Panda. Pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 already and uninstalled Wow and Diablo 3. August 28, 2012.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]