Diablo® III

End game solutions?

Thanks for the answer, Bash.
It's really great hearing this from you, got my hopes up that maybe you guys actually ARE trying to make this game what it should be and notice that it lacks a lot :)

I believe the Legendary buff, if done right, will be very good for endgame. Make high-end legendaries a bit rarer, and a LOT better, better than *almost* all rares, and you've got items to remember the game by.

Also I think a bit more complexity to hirelings, more gearing options and buffing them to make them similarly useful to D2 hirelings would help. Then, while gearing ourselves, we'd also actually have a good reason to waste money, time and effort into gearing hirelings.

Obviously new content is also needed, but I do believe these would also help.
We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

So you admit there is no real end-game for Diablo 3 now, and won't be for the foreseeable future...

Great.

Well, thanks for being honest at least.

I'm going to cry now.

/cry
07/03/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Funslice
There would be far more complaining had they not released the game until yet.

This: +100!
07/03/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Mensalidin
Then why did you release the game?

You're kidding, right?

It's because 90% of the community wouldn't stop !@#$%ing about Blizzard pushing back the release date. It's because they were constantly being belittled for saying "It's not ready" and everyone's response was "JUST RELEASE IT ANYWAYS AND PUT IT IN LATER" and guess what? You got what you demanded and now you're mad about it.
07/03/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Bashiok

Can you quantify 'tons' of people playing?

I mean if you are counting the US player base that might mean 7 players if we are using weight ratios here ...

Haha... oh wait, that's mean! I don't know that I'm allowed to release specific concurrency numbers, but we have hundreds upon hundreds of thousands playing every night. Comparing to just normal drop-off post release of a WoW expansion, Diablo III has been very solid, and it's not even out in China yet.

What is the attrition rate of Diablo 3 compared to diablo 2? You already stated "Diablo 3 is not World of Warcraft" so why compare statistics?
07/03/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Bashiok
Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun

This alone would suffice if killing is fun (steam-rolling buncha mobs) instead of hunting annoy 4x affix packs that's over-tuned for arpg and if item mod were actually interesting.

Meh w/e happened to Blizzard that made D1 /2...
We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game. There are still tons of people playing every day and week, and playing a lot, but eventually they're going to run out of stuff to do (if they haven't already). Killing enemies and finding items is a lot of fun, and we think we have a lot of the systems surrounding that right, or at least on the right path with a few corrections and tweaks. But honestly Diablo III is not World of Warcraft. We aren't going to be able to pump out tons of new systems and content every couple months. There needs to be something else that keeps people engaged, and we know it's not there right now.

We're working toward 1.0.4, which we're really trying to pack with as many fixes and changes we can to help you guys out (and we'll have a bunch of articles posted with all the details as we get closer), and we're of course working on 1.1 with PvP arenas. I think both those patches will do a lot to give people things to do, and get them excited about playing, but they're not going to be a real end-game solution, at least not what we would expect out of a proper end-game. We have some ideas for progression systems, but honestly it's a huge feature if we want to try to do it right, and not something we could envision being possible until well after 1.1 which it itself still a ways out.

New dungeons with LOTS AND LOTS of elites, or waves of them. I dunno, something like a fun quest that's repeatable.

Ok let me help you here then:

Ladder system for everything, lvl, achievs, pvp, gold farm, w/e (easy)
More levels, because all top items ee cannot use until reach lvl 60, what is top lvl, so why use top item when already at maximum lvl
Chat lounge just like d2

You are welcome
07/03/2012 12:58 PMPosted by Mensalidin
Then why did you release the game?

Daddy, I want a golden goose now!!!
07/03/2012 01:06 PMPosted by Bashiok
Haha... oh wait, that's mean! I don't know that I'm allowed to release specific concurrency numbers, but we have hundreds upon hundreds of thousands playing every night. Comparing to just normal drop-off post release of a WoW expansion, Diablo III has been very solid, and it's not even out in China yet.

If this is true, that means less than 1% of the population is playing in public games at any time. For a game tagged as a social game, that seems extremely low. Are there any changes in the works to make grouping more efficient compared to farming solo (say, a matchmaking system)? Right now only undergeared people seem to join public games in inferno, and that makes for very unpleasant progress on the odd occasion that geared people feel the urge to stop soloing.
Very true that this is not World of Warcraft and people keep comparing two different things.

Just like you are comparing apple to toothbrush.. no correlation..
what bash said about thinking the item hunt would be sufficient entertainment does make sense. D2 had no real end game, just farming. I think the big difference is in D2 the items were more exciting, as in they had more "interesting" and unique stats that were viable and strong, and the level cap. Sure being able to out level monsters made the game too easy past a certain level, but it also made you feel like even though you didn't get anything worthwile on your farming run you did gain some EXP.
85 Human Paladin
07/03/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thank you very much for this informative and honest answer. Though to be honest what this answer really reveals is "we didn't have a real end game ready or in mind and aren't sure how to retain customers, the game was released before it was quite ready, possibly because of the giant outcry from the fans"

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but we believed pre-release that the item hunt would be far more sustainable, and would work to be a proper end-game for quite a while. That didn't turn out to be true, and we recognize that.

Thank you so much for the responses! Can I take your words as a change of attitude within the development staff? So far a lot of the outcry are centered around Blizzard not responding to the players. I believe your posts here are first to officially admit that the game didn't turn out exactly what you envisioned and work is being done to address the issues. I hope this attitude and level of communication with the players can continue in the future. We may be whiny babies, but we all want D3 to be the best game ever made. It is great to know our concerns are being taken seriously.
07/03/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thank you very much for this informative and honest answer. Though to be honest what this answer really reveals is "we didn't have a real end game ready or in mind and aren't sure how to retain customers, the game was released before it was quite ready, possibly because of the giant outcry from the fans"

Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose, but we believed pre-release that the item hunt would be far more sustainable, and would work to be a proper end-game for quite a while. That didn't turn out to be true, and we recognize that.

NOW you actually tell us that you guys weren't prepared for something? That you made a mistake?

THANK YOU!

I've been waiting for some sort of explanation as to why Diablo 3 seems... Incomplete. I suppose I was right going around telling people that what you were trying to do was spread Diablo 3 over the course of years to maximize profit by just barely keeping the attention spans of everyone by releasing patches and expansion as late as you possibly could.

I could have waited for the game to be completely finished though. I would have preferred waiting until June in fact, rather than playing a beta that I payed for.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]