Diablo® III

Why was the story so bad?

The ending of Diablo 2, the destruction of the Worldstone, promised us an epic battle between the forces of Heaven and Hell on Sanctuary. Why, then, did the writers decide that Leahblo's goal was to take out Heaven and bypass Sanctuary altogether?

Why was Leah even a character, and why was Deckard Cain killed so early in the game? It absolutely reeks of something behind-the-scenes, like Michael Gough (voice of Cain) refused to continue to voice for a game with such a wretched story. Imagine for a moment that Leah's place in the story was replaced entirely by Deckard Cain, including the transformation into Diablo. Imagine how infuriated, how absolutely incredibly angry we would be to watch Cain become Diablo, the evil he has fought against his entire life. It would be ironic, it would be awesome, and it would give us a reason to fight. Instead, we have Leah and Leahblo, a wholly unappealing character we have no connection to, and we have Adria returning with the worst sentence structure I've ever heard. "Now, Leah, use your power just the way I taught you and bring down these gates!" Am I 12? I'm 12, is what you're saying. I just learned English and you need to be VERY CAREFUL OR I WON'T UNDERSTAND.

Why was Tyrael a huge pansy? Why did he turn into a human when he ripped his shoulders off? Are you saying that Angels are really humans underneath? What about Hell, then? Are demons just humans who have spikes growing out of them? Why does Tyrael acknowledge that it's our fight, but Imperius declares that it's his fight and we'll only get in the way? Imperius is the Angel of Valor, he should be encouraging us to fight. He's not the Angel of Self-Righteousness or the Angel of Xenophobia, is he? Also, why do the other angels agree that we need to help them to win but don't actually help us directly at all? Tyrael fights with us, why don't they? Do they have to tear their wings off too?

These are examples of the questions my friends and I all asked when playing through the game, and we openly laughed at the story because it was full of the worst dialogue we had ever heard and quite possibly the most predictable story direction ever.

What happened?
Reply Quote
1) they said they wanted cain to die because he is too old anyway and its starting to be unbelievable or something like that, so they introduced Leah who is his successor and the new last Horadrim, if she even counts as one.

2) i think no matter how they kill Cain people will hate it. there is enough reason to fight Leahblo as it is: she is about to destroy the heavens, she is the prime evil, she is Leah who the nephalim loves as a friend (at least thats what my barb said...)

3) Leah, according to an interview, is a character that is supposed to be the combination of everything that is good and likable stuffed into one single being so the player can't help but get attached to her (can't find the right interview that states that but its out there when they talk about Leah). UNFORTUNATELY the story in this game sucks and its hard to connect to any character, let alone not HATE some.. so when Leah was taken by Diablo instead of shedding a tear and go rage mode over what they have done you go "meh.. what ever" and continue to act 4.

4) he is not really a human but a mortal, at least thats what the fans like to think to try and make sense of it all, so lets go with that. he is just a mortal angel now. considering humans are descendants of angels and demons, i guess "human form" is something that is common to both angels and humans, but not demons.

5) why he is just a pensy? why only WE fight and angels hide behind the door until we finish? because this whole game has a very lame and obvious way of boosting our ego. you can see it when you read any of the lore books that Cain has about demons (doesn't matter if its a normal demon you see in any act or one of the big 7; every time he says something like "should this evil be unleashed upon our world, i fear we won't survive" or something like that.. and then you kill it and say to yourself "omg i just killed this ultimate evil that the world would have been doomed if not for me, according to Cain.. I AM A GOD!!!!!"

yeah, i don't buy it blizz, and no1 else does either.

6) why Imperius doesn't like us and wants to kill Diablo himself? because its our fault he is here in the first place :D what we did made Sheablo or Leahblo go and kick his !@#. if it was up to him he would destroy us and sanctuary a loooong time ago, so the forces of good and evil will resume balance.
Reply Quote
07/03/2012 09:06 PMPosted by Scatterplot
The ending of Diablo 2, the destruction of the Worldstone, promised us an epic battle between the forces of Heaven and Hell on Sanctuary. Why, then, did the writers decide that Leahblo's goal was to take out Heaven and bypass Sanctuary altogether?

Mankind, as they are no longer true Nephalem -- were of no real threat to the Lords of Hell. It has always been their goal to defeat the Heavens. Despite mankind's interference, man is still regarded by the Lords of Hell has a little more than an annoyance.

Why was Leah even a character, and why was Deckard Cain killed so early in the game?

As stated before, Leah was supposed to be a sympathetic character. Cain's death was intended for you to connect with her more. Your caring for her ultimately makes for a better story when she is betrayed. Unfortunately, the writing wasn't as good or as clear as it should have been, and most people miss the connection with Leah entirely -- ultimately ruining the story for most.

Why was Tyrael a huge pansy? Why did he turn into a human when he ripped his shoulders off? Are you saying that Angels are really humans underneath? What about Hell, then? Are demons just humans who have spikes growing out of them?

It's suggested and implied that 'human' is the 'base' form of demons, angels, and nephalem. Humans as they are in Sanctuary are really just Nephalem who have lost their power. So when the being is depowered to a degree, they revert to their base form, which happens to be human. We haven't actually seen a demon depowered in this way -- so it's all just implied lore, which in this case was simply poor story telling.

Why does Tyrael acknowledge that it's our fight, but Imperius declares that it's his fight and we'll only get in the way? Imperius is the Angel of Valor, he should be encouraging us to fight. He's not the Angel of Self-Righteousness or the Angel of Xenophobia, is he? Also, why do the other angels agree that we need to help them to win but don't actually help us directly at all? Tyrael fights with us, why don't they? Do they have to tear their wings off too?

Some of the Angels, including Imperius -- hate you. The Angels are divided on the existence of mankind in the first place. As Nephalem, man is greater than even the hells -- and with the freedom to choose between light and dark -- Nephalem can easily wage war (and attain victory) over the Heavens if they so chose to do so. Imperius, like the Lords of Hell, believe man (as they are no longer true Nephalem) to be simple annoyances -- and Diablo is his eternal enemy, the fight his his. That being said, Imperius would wage war on man to preserve his kind. Also keep in mind that the Arch being corrupted affected the remaining Angels negatively, like a paralytic -- so only Tyrael was in any position to actually help. Tyrael doesn't help, because against the Prime Evil, you -- which he believes to be the first true new generation of Nephalem -- are the only chance at victory. There's a lot of lore not included in the game that gives more background to every character's motives -- but even if you knew it all, the game's plot was weakly executed.
Reply Quote
I'm getting sad reading these threads now :(
Reply Quote
Mainly because they had the overwhelming urge to stuff the underwhelming material in our faces.

I would have probably disregarded the story and had more fun, if they kept the Diablo format of "listen to a paragraph of stuff then go out and kill things" for the quest.

Also, I think the years of World of Warcraft finally took a toll on Metzen's mind, and he just cant write anymore, because he's been forced to kill off so many characters he has created, that it's probably the only way he knows how to advance a plot at this point.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]