Diablo® III

Post your SMS protect complaints here.

So far there's been a bunch of small threads complaining about SMS protect that are pretty much ignored and brushed aside by support because it's viewed as not worth fixing as it's a small amount of people having problems. Instead of making these little thread for each problem let's get blues to respond by merging all of the complaints into one big thread.

For those that don't know, the RMAH requires an authenticator and a cell phone number tied to SMS protect in order to cash out via paypal. The problem here is SMS protect does not work for everybody, whether it be having a provider that's not supported by SMS protect (Virgin Mobile), having one cell phone number but multiple battlenet accounts, having a prepaid or pay as you go plan that's not supported, having a cell phone that's viewed as a VOIP number by SMS protect, or simply not having a cell phone.

Offer us an alternative like using our home phone number and sending the code via automated phone call sort of like google when you tie your home phone to google voice, send the codes via email, let us use an authenticator number somehow... it was made to protect our account right? or do you not have faith in your own product? Have us sign into paypal when we want to complete a sale.

Don't let this be ignored by support, if this thread gets enough posts and attention maybe they will see they need to do something.
Edited by Alocer#1869 on 7/5/2012 7:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm in full support of this. I would like to utilize the RMAH but cannot because of the "No PrePaid CellPhone" stipulation that's currently in place.
Reply Quote
I would like them to fix SMS protect so that virgin mobile USA customers can use it. I have a full data plan and previously my number was on a contract AT&T iphone. Some pre-paid providers like Verizon are functioning so I believe this is a technical error with the list they are using or with the company they are contracting to. Please fix it blizzard!
Reply Quote
My advice... DONT give them ur number. After I signed up I began recieving calls from numbers I definitely do not know, from whacked area codes with automated "special offers". I never had a problem with advert calls UNTIL I signed up for the phone authenticator. I had to completely change my number. Long story short, dont trust it. Heed the warning or dont, but you have been warned...
Reply Quote
I would complain about this, but I don't even feel like playing, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
I completely agree. And would also like to suggest that everyone request a sticky for this, and also submit a support ticket that they keep reopening with complaints until there is a change.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
They are probably selling their list of cell phone numbers to make a few extra bucks.

This is a terrible requirement for use of the RMAH... it's no worse than saying, "only Pepsi and Coke drinkers can use the PayPal option".

There needs to be a more reasonable and accessible option.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
Good luck with that. We've capped one (possible even 2) threads on this topic, which never got any official response.

They will never remove the requirement, sadly...
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem. It's very aggravating that I have a smartphone with a monthly payment and I can't use SMS protect.
Reply Quote
Good luck with that. We've capped one (possible even 2) threads on this topic, which never got any official response.

They will never remove the requirement, sadly...

Well, let's make em' cap a third then.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
We don't get cell phone coverage here at all. The cheapest plan is from AT&T for just over $100 (CND) a month.

Who wants to pay $100 a month for a game?

But, I'm in no hurry. I wouldn't even mind if it took snail mail verification.
Reply Quote
The requirement is because they need to know you've been checked out, and have a contract in place. It's a legal requirement for them to conduct the RMAH and they don't want to re-do the same job that's already been done by your phone company. The reason that Virgin isn't acceptible to SMS is that they don't conduct the type of background check that's required by SMS.

The alternative is worse... having Bliz conduct background checks on everyone playing their game.
Reply Quote
This problem does indeed suck. I could not use the RMAH due to not having some fancy contract phone or a pre-paid phone that was compatible. However, I managed to remedy the issue for a simple $12.99 investment.

Certain pre-paid phones are accepted by Blizzard. From what I've heard, they are phones from T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon. So, I went down to the local Target and picked up the cheapest T-Mobile phone for 13 bucks. The phone is complete garbage, but comes with $3.37 worth of minutes on it (texts cost .1 per; 33 total messages) and is compatible with Blizzards wacky requirements. The only upkeep on the phone is a $10 card every 90 days or so.

Sucks that we have to jump through hoops to use the RMAH, but this was my cheap solution.
Reply Quote
The requirement is because they need to know you've been checked out, and have a contract in place. It's a legal requirement for them to conduct the RMAH and they don't want to re-do the same job that's already been done by your phone company. The reason that Virgin isn't acceptible to SMS is that they don't conduct the type of background check that's required by SMS.

The alternative is worse... having Bliz conduct background checks on everyone playing their game.

This is simply not true. There is no background check on the $13 t-mobile pre paid you can get at Wall Mart that people say works.

This is some kind of arbitrarily hokey requirement set forth under the guise of security.
Reply Quote

Seeing as some people are able to use $20 T-mobile and Verizon burner phones for SMS protect I doubt that's why Virgin mobile users are left out in the cold.
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Arsynz
My advice... DONT give them ur number. After I signed up I began recieving calls from numbers I definitely do not know, from whacked area codes with automated "special offers". I never had a problem with advert calls UNTIL I signed up for the phone authenticator. I had to completely change my number. Long story short, dont trust it. Heed the warning or dont, but you have been warned...

Been using the SMS / Authenticator thing for paypal / RMAH for several weeks now and not one single phone call that was unknown. Maybe it is just YOU.
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Arsynz

I have SMS protect on one of my accounts and received no strange phone calls.

I would like the ability to have multiple accounts protected by one contract phone. I have the means to call my phone company and ask them to open a couple more lines, but not everyone does.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]