Just some of my comparisons:
1) Diablo 2 stopped at hell difficulty.
2) Diablo 2 at launch had considerably less items at launch then diablo 3.
3) Diablo 2 at launch was not any better battle.net server lag wise then diablo 3 at launch. 4) Diablo 2 had dated graphics, funky animations, and horrible pathing and collision issues at launch
5) Diablo 2 was never updated with content ever, wasn't planned, you got what you got, until the expansion came out.
6) You wouldn't hear a peep from blizzard about anything regarding the game. Now you have community managers and developers taking feedback. Never in my life with diablo 2.
I bought diablo 2 and stopped playing until LoD came out, and then I was hooked.
Stop talking about diablo 2 as if it was some awesome game out of the box, it had huge problems at launch, and people were complaining about why it took so many years for it to come out and what did they do all that time for an average game. If you could look at some old reviews of diablo 2, it was well loved by the game review websites, and the player reviews were half and half loved it/hated it. Of course if you look for reviews now, you will see all sorts of awesome amazing reviews for diablo 2, and amazingly they were posted 2 months ago, over 10 years after the game was released hahaha. Enough said about diablo 2.
Inferno was not designed for everyone, it was supposed to be an extra challenge, no one is stopping you from enjoying breezing through hell difficulty, and you can get level 61 items in hell difficulty.
If your the type of gamer to complain about it's too hard, then stop going to inferno and play hell. You will have a challenge, and you can test different builds, and work on getting some better gear, and then try inferno again.
Oh yah. People talking about how they had this amazing gaming experience in diablo 2 need to get over themselves. The game wasn't that good. It's like I remember playing everquest and all the awesome experiences i had in it, and then I think a little harder and remember the experience grind, item grind, 12+ hour raids, dieing and losing over 2 weeks worth of experience gain. Sitting for 10 hours looking for a group, because you couldn't solo anything unless you were a necromancer. THen the reality hits me. In diablo 2, think a little harder and you will find the game was a fun game, but by no means was it some stand out game.