Diablo® III

Inferno not for everyone

This game plays exactly like diablo 2 up until you complete hell difficulty. Inferno is supposed to be a huge challenge where you can find the best loot. It reminds me of that place that was in Everquest where all the dragons were, and if you died there you would lose all your items. I think maybe only 10 percent of the everquest players ever actually tried it, and only 3% of players actually completed everything in it.

Just some of my comparisons:
1) Diablo 2 stopped at hell difficulty.
2) Diablo 2 at launch had considerably less items at launch then diablo 3.
3) Diablo 2 at launch was not any better battle.net server lag wise then diablo 3 at launch. 4) Diablo 2 had dated graphics, funky animations, and horrible pathing and collision issues at launch
5) Diablo 2 was never updated with content ever, wasn't planned, you got what you got, until the expansion came out.
6) You wouldn't hear a peep from blizzard about anything regarding the game. Now you have community managers and developers taking feedback. Never in my life with diablo 2.

I bought diablo 2 and stopped playing until LoD came out, and then I was hooked.

Stop talking about diablo 2 as if it was some awesome game out of the box, it had huge problems at launch, and people were complaining about why it took so many years for it to come out and what did they do all that time for an average game. If you could look at some old reviews of diablo 2, it was well loved by the game review websites, and the player reviews were half and half loved it/hated it. Of course if you look for reviews now, you will see all sorts of awesome amazing reviews for diablo 2, and amazingly they were posted 2 months ago, over 10 years after the game was released hahaha. Enough said about diablo 2.

Inferno was not designed for everyone, it was supposed to be an extra challenge, no one is stopping you from enjoying breezing through hell difficulty, and you can get level 61 items in hell difficulty.

If your the type of gamer to complain about it's too hard, then stop going to inferno and play hell. You will have a challenge, and you can test different builds, and work on getting some better gear, and then try inferno again.

Oh yah. People talking about how they had this amazing gaming experience in diablo 2 need to get over themselves. The game wasn't that good. It's like I remember playing everquest and all the awesome experiences i had in it, and then I think a little harder and remember the experience grind, item grind, 12+ hour raids, dieing and losing over 2 weeks worth of experience gain. Sitting for 10 hours looking for a group, because you couldn't solo anything unless you were a necromancer. THen the reality hits me. In diablo 2, think a little harder and you will find the game was a fun game, but by no means was it some stand out game.
Edited by Gharritt#1300 on 7/5/2012 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
which game in your opinion was better than diablo2??
Reply Quote
funny how much they actually managed to accomplish in 12 years, huh?
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Kymora
If your the type of gamer to complain about it's too hard, then stop going to inferno and play hell. You will have a challenge, and you can test different builds, and work on getting some better gear, and then try inferno again.

I can't get good gear out of Act 1 Inferno so I'm going to go to a lower difficulty to get good gear?

Inferno already drops level 55 gear, yea, going to a lower difficulty will certainly net me level 60 upgrades!

It's just not the gearing option about inferno, it's how people play inferno, running around not getting hit so you don't get one shot, barbs kiting, that's what people are complaining about. I am suggesting that if you don't enjoy that to stay in hell difficulty, because the game difficulty is exactly as it was in diablo 2.
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 09:29 AMPosted by OmgItsFludi
which game in your opinion was better than diablo2??

What game being better is all a matter of opinion. While you think Diablo 2 was the greatest game ever to be created, a lot of people, and including myself felt the game was a good game but not a great game.

Some of the great games of my time were half-life, half-life 2, doom II, first Halo, starcraft, fall out 3. Those are great games, and were a lot more polished then diablo 2. Hell, diablo 1 was the bomb, I remember playing diablo 1 for the first time online, it was the first game i ever played online, and it's one of my greatest gaming memories. Does that mean the game was AMAZING? No, it was a short game, with no quests, and just hack and slash with sub-par items. But people loved it, and people hated it.

You not liking the game, doesn't mean the game is bad. All games have problems, even the great ones. Well except half-life and half-life 2, those games were works of art.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior

half-life, half-life 2, doom II, first Halo, starcraft, fall out 3. Those are great games, and were a lot more polished then diablo 2.

That's cool, none of those are ARPG's though, which D3 only qualifies for at the most basic level. Your use of singling out a "you" in not liking the game is also a gross underestimate of the playerbase that has vanished for good reason.

For what it was supposed to be, Diablo 3 failed as a game. No conjecture, it has failed in almost every capacity outside of generating revenue for Activision. There is no depth to characters beyond act 1 inferno, no thought, it's "challenge" comes from ridiculous combinations of elite packs and useless enrage timers, which have no place in the game. I'll leave the list of flaws short, as the hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of reasons the game is awful have been posted ad infinitum.
Edited by Ezzy#1611 on 7/5/2012 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
agreed.. diablo 2 was very flawed and still is today..

half the people talking about d2 never even played it.
Reply Quote
The big issue with how Inferno is portrayed is that while it is said to be optional, its not presented in that way. Its presented as "what you do after you beat hell", not "some optional piece of content only the best should attempt." It literally even says as you beat hell "Now try Inferno!".

There is just no sense of satisfaction gearing up and plowing Act 3-4 hell because you KNOW there is more efficient gear in Inferno A1 and on. THis is mainly because of the iLvl seperation being so vast (from iLvl 59-63 the maximum available stats skyrockets out of control, moreso for weapons, which play a huge roll in that "Overpowered" feeling everyone so desires).

In Diablo 2, you knew Hell was the end, so you not only felt great that you had come that far, but even better knowing you could farm gear for your main and alts with greatly varying stats and multiple uses. Leveling past 60 also had some great progressive feeling full time.

As for the argument of D2 at release versus D3 at release, its really a non-valid point. They may not have worked on D3 for 12 years, but they had all of that foundation in place to expand upon. They tried to be different for the better, and some aspects they succeeded on (stash sharing being probably the best example), but failed in so many other categories that the game has no lasting appeal. It really doesn't help when people who used exploits to speed through Inferno upon release took control of the market (this was probably the major turning point in the fun factor for the game).

Ok TL:DR, but I've made enough points
Edited by Piev#1776 on 7/5/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I do NOT miss D2. Then again I don't have that kind of time to grind so D3 is wonderful IMO. Sure it has its flaws but I think over time they will improve upon all those issues. One would hope.
Reply Quote
Inferno is supposed to be a huge challenge where you can find the best loot.

I have highlighted the problem for you.

Its not that its hard, its that its not rewarding. Like AT ALL.
Edited by Shaman#2650 on 7/5/2012 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I can't get good gear out of Act 1 Inferno so I'm going to go to a lower difficulty to get good gear?

Inferno already drops level 55 gear, yea, going to a lower difficulty will certainly net me level 60 upgrades!

It's just not the gearing option about inferno, it's how people play inferno, running around not getting hit so you don't get one shot, barbs kiting, that's what people are complaining about. I am suggesting that if you don't enjoy that to stay in hell difficulty, because the game difficulty is exactly as it was in diablo 2.

I played D2 as well, even had a couple runewords, BotD, Enigma, and quite honestly I dont know how you can say the difficulty is the same as it was in D2. As a barb in hell I remember rollingthrough baals place with whirldwind and murdering everything in sight, even without BotD. The only thing that ever really had a chance to kill me in hell was iron maiden.

In D3 most clases have trouble making their way into Act 2 and STILL are, I bet if Blizzard looked at the numbers the amoutn of players that have made it past Act 2 hasnt gone up that much I bet, atleast not on a worldwide percentage. I think that is still a major issue and until they get it to where each act is a natural progression of difficulty this game still needs work.

Right now the way they have the play setup to even survive inferno act 1 and have an easy time of it you need 800 resist and thats with having crappy damage. There is a big balancing act with acquiring and selecting the proper gear for inferno. You can either go high resistance an low damage or you can do a mix of the two or both if your really well geared, but that isnt usually the case.

So alot of people post the 500-600 reist all for act 1 or higher and then their damage is usually around 30k-50k.

However EITHER route you go ends up with people having to kite champion packs. I guess I don't have a problem with it, but if your comparing D2 hell to D3 Inferno and saying they are the same currently? Not even close, not close to close. The pure fact that I was able to shred through hell with my barb in not even full IKs proves that the difficulty in Inferno from D3 and hell from D2 are not even close to comparable.

Right now my WD has close to 900 reist, 20-25k damage depending if I feel like giving up my magic find weapon in favor of more damage. With those kind of stats I should at the very least be rolling through act 2 with little difficulties. Not because inferno is TOO easy but because I have the right gear >_<. OF course I know how to get myself into act 2 with the game as it is now, I just need to add more damage.

However I need new rings, ammy, and bracers which Im sure most of you can agree that finding jewelry with mf/all resist/crit hit chance or crit hit damage or atk spd, along with all of the stats my WD needs is ridiculously expensive, like the cheapest piece is like 25 mil on AH. However once I able to do that just those 3-4 piece of gear will take my 20k damage and close to double it and make my WD ready for act 2 and probably act 3.

I think in the end resistances need to count for more and magic find needs to be tweaked. even with the lower drop rates in act 1 I have close to 400%MF and I find absolutely nothing after running act 1 5-6 times, and thats not even doign the whole act.

I do festering woods, the watch tower, the warden, and then butcher. Now if champion packs are the way to get gear with that kind of MF I should be getting better drops.

I know they dont want the game to be constant boss runs so they gave LESS loot to bosses, people complained so they changed it. So now bosses can drop good loot, but they never, ever do for me.

With close to 400% MF I should be having a similar or comparable experience as I was with Meph or Baal in Diablo 2. And with that much MF in D2 on a Meph or Baal run I would get a set item probably once out of every 3-4 runs. That means it is currently taking me 2-3 times longer to even get a legendary or set item to drop, if it ever happens, than it did in D2.

The only problem is with the focus now on bosses and champion packs if they did tweak MF since champion packs can also drop good lot my chances for loot become kind of ridiculous and then it would break the game so I really don't know what they will be able to do to fix magic find with how they currently have the game setup. And I do believe it needs some adjusting 6-7 runs in Act 1 should net anyone atleast one usuable or sellable 63 rare or a 61-62 legendary/set item that is usable or sellable.
Edited by Deathmob#1414 on 7/5/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is an ARPG, not an MMO. The two genres are vastly different in how they are expected to play. From my experience an ARPG lets you get to the end, then you keep playing to progress your character in terms of gear/skills/unlockables/etc. This is the first one where you pay for an ARPG and you receive some sort of ARPG/MMO hybrid in which both sides are mediocre at best. They couldn't take things that make MMO's great and throw them into the game and yet they had to take some of the things that make ARPG's great and throw them to the curb to fit in the MMO elements.

*edit* spelling is hard.
Edited by Legion#1578 on 7/5/2012 10:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
However EITHER route you go ends up with people having to kite champion packs. I guess I don't have a problem with it, but if your comparing D2 hell to D3 Inferno and saying they are the same currently? Not even close, not close to close. The pure fact that I was able to shred through hell with my barb in not even full IKs proves that the difficulty in Inferno from D3 and hell from D2 are not even close to comparable.

You must have misread my post, I was saying that the difficulty level in hell in diablo 3 is comparable to diablo 2.
Reply Quote
the problem with inferno was how easy it was for range classes to progress compared to how hard it was for melee. The range would farm the gear and put it on the ah for stupid prices. Inferno was never to hard, it was just too untested. They should of invited a couple of thousand people to test inferno. They would of seen the differences between melee and range.
Range could clear it with almost no gear, Melee had to farm act 1 forever to progress.
Edited by Pravus#1729 on 7/5/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 3 is an ARPG, not an MMO. The two genres are vastly different in how they are expected to play. From my experience an ARPG lets you get to the end, then you keep playing to progress your character in terms of gear/skills/unlockables/etc. This is the first one where you pay for an ARPG and you receive some sort of ARPG/MMO hybrid in which both sides are mediocre at best. They couldn't take things that make MMO's great and throw them into the game and yet they had to take some of the things that make ARPG's great and throw them to the curb to fit in the MMO elements.

*edit* spelling is hard.

I agree, and I've played MMO's for many years, not WOW, but I always thought WOW was a lite MMO compared to the other ones out there. Diablo 3 is definitely a ARPG, and there are very few MMO elements to it, with the exception of the auction house. Now if the skill system is like WOW's, that doesn't make it a MMO, they were just influenced by the skill system of WOW, perhaps they remember all the criticism of the skill trees, because there was in diablo 2, and decided that it wasn't what players wanted.

I think developers opening up feedback to the players was a mistake. You give a little, and people take a lot.. You can't make everyone happy, what you have to do is ultimately decide what is best for your own game. I think if your a lead program designer or developer and you don't love your game and your product, and you let your vision be effected by everyone else, then your game will fail. Diablo 3 fails when it tries to make everyone happy, and this game turns out to be nothing like it was. From what I hear, that's what happened to WoW.
Reply Quote
This game plays exactly like diablo 2 up until you complete hell difficulty. Inferno is supposed to be a huge challenge where you can find the best loot. It reminds me of that place that was in Everquest where all the dragons were, and if you died there you would lose all your items. I think maybe only 10 percent of the everquest players ever actually tried it, and only 3% of players actually completed everything in it.

Just some of my comparisons:
1) Diablo 2 stopped at hell difficulty.
2) Diablo 2 at launch had considerably less items at launch then diablo 3.
3) Diablo 2 at launch was not any better battle.net server lag wise then diablo 3 at launch. 4) Diablo 2 had dated graphics, funky animations, and horrible pathing and collision issues at launch
5) Diablo 2 was never updated with content ever, wasn't planned, you got what you got, until the expansion came out.
6) You wouldn't hear a peep from blizzard about anything regarding the game. Now you have community managers and developers taking feedback. Never in my life with diablo 2.

I bought diablo 2 and stopped playing until LoD came out, and then I was hooked.

Stop talking about diablo 2 as if it was some awesome game out of the box, it had huge problems at launch, and people were complaining about why it took so many years for it to come out and what did they do all that time for an average game. If you could look at some old reviews of diablo 2, it was well loved by the game review websites, and the player reviews were half and half loved it/hated it. Of course if you look for reviews now, you will see all sorts of awesome amazing reviews for diablo 2, and amazingly they were posted 2 months ago, over 10 years after the game was released hahaha. Enough said about diablo 2.

Inferno was not designed for everyone, it was supposed to be an extra challenge, no one is stopping you from enjoying breezing through hell difficulty, and you can get level 61 items in hell difficulty.

Oh yah. People talking about how they had this amazing gaming experience in diablo 2 need to get over themselves. The game wasn't that good. It's like I remember playing everquest and all the awesome experiences i had in it, and then I think a little harder and remember the experience grind, item grind, 12+ hour raids, dieing and losing over 2 weeks worth of experience gain. Sitting for 10 hours looking for a group, because you couldn't solo anything unless you were a necromancer. THen the reality hits me. In diablo 2, think a little harder and you will find the game was a fun game, but by no means was it some stand out game.

+1
Reply Quote
the problem with inferno was how easy it was for range classes to progress compared to how hard it was for melee. The range would farm the gear and put it on the ah of stupid prices. Inferno was never to hard, it was just too untested. They should of invited a couple of thousand people to test inferno. They would of seen the differences between melee and range.

A very valid point, I have a rolled demon hunter, and that's all I have rolled on D3. Blizzard already admitted they weren't ready for the end game yet, and I think they truly believed there wouldn't be that many people playing inferno right now. But inferno will be fixed, items affixes will be adjusted so that 80% aren't crap, PvP arenas will come out. These are all things blizzard said they are working on. Be thankful they are, because diablo 2 you were stuck with what diablo 2 was until the expansion came out.
Reply Quote
Veeshan's Peak, yet they changed it later and added more stats to the loot.
Reply Quote
agreed.. diablo 2 was very flawed and still is today..

half the people talking about d2 never even played it.

I played diablo 2 from release day for 5 years until 1.10, I saw every patch/change in that game and ya know what? At least diablo 2 knew what the F it was, while diablo 3 is isometric world of warcraft.

Diablo 3 is a "good" game, but it is not diablo; it is so unlike diablo 1 and 2 that if it weren't set in the same universe people wouldn't even know it was meant to be part of the same series it is so different from diablo 2.

I have solo cleared act4 inferno, and tbh there is nothing in this game that is "challenging". The whole thing is just one big gear check, thats it. Having to move out of aoe damage is not "challenging" either, that is common sense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]