Diablo® III

Max Schaefer (ex-D2) talks about TL2/D3

Kinda old but old:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLPHtaxJdQ

Highlights:
- ok, let's talk about the big elephant in the room, called diablo 3, with a great success on launch
max shaefer: "always online (laughs)"
(..)
"other things I would change, I would put pentagrams and crosses back in the game, that's part of Diablo"

Destroyed D3 in two answers
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
and yet he still calls it a good game.
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Herbburglar

If he did, every game magazine out there would remember it for a lifetime. There's no point in not being polite/ not having PR.

Plus TL2 sales increased over 40% after D3, so he just can't complain at all. But I liked his style, giving small opinions here and there, but if you look closer, you'll get what he means.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

If he did, every game magazine out there would remember it for a lifetime. There's no point in not being polite/ not having PR.

Plus TL2 sales increased over 40% after D3, so he just can't complain at all. But I liked his style, giving small opinions here and there, but if you look closer, you'll get what he means.

I think D3 is a reasonable good game. I also think TL2 will be good. There's things in D3 that I wish TL2 had, like for example making use of a mechanic like health orbs to get away from potion spamming which I find to me a weak point in TL2.

Obviously, when you have a game in a pretty much low interest genre get 6-8m players, a lot of those players are also going to be interested in similar games from other publishers. Nothing new here, runic is getting some benefits from D3's popularity.

In interviews, he does need to differentiate how they do things from how blizzard does things. Doesn't make one better than the other, but if there's no difference in your product vs the competitor, then there's no reason for anyone to purchase your product. I mostly like the direction they went, except in a few areas.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/5/2012 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Plus TL2 sales increased over 40% after D3, so he just can't complain at all.

Is Torchlight 2 going to make 3.5 million copies sold in first-day sales with that 40% increase?
Edited by Chickenooble#1559 on 7/5/2012 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
07/05/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Chickenooble

Is Torchlight 2 going to make 3.5 million copies sold in first-day sales with that 40% increase?

Probably not. 3.5m over the life of it would be a big success, though. That's 3x what torchlight1 sold and it was fairly successful.
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 11:30 AMPosted by Chickenooble

Of course not but Runic Games is much smaller than Blizzard and doesn't have the same marketing budget.

If Blizzard released Diablo 4 next year, do you think that they'd sell 3.5 million copies on day one again? I think not. People, like me, waited 12 years for Diablo 3 only to be severely disappointed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]