Diablo® III

FINALLY my 1.04/5 guide! Long but worth it!

BUMPED for riceasian
Reply Quote
Today i use a 1 hand cerominal knife @ 315-878 dmg, and a mojo 108-364 damage, got some in stats and !@#$ on them as well. i tryed to switch to a 2 hand mace with 1103-1400 damage. Still my 1 hand with mojo does like 1k more damage. what do u think i should do? buy a more powerfull 2 hander?
Reply Quote
Rajrajrippe:

Yes look for a 2 hander with low speed (0.9 or 0.95) it will give you a higher base damage multiplier for bears. 2handers are not in high demand right now so they go for cheap on the AH. You should be able to find one between 1200-1300 dps with a socket for under a mill.

Basically, the base multiplier for an active skills works like this-- lets say your 2h wep dmg is 1103-1400; zombie bears will take a random number between that base dmg and multiply it for 3.36 (or 236% of base dmg). That is the base multiplier BEFORE your int, crit, crit chance and etc is taken into account.

In other words, 2handers will give you a much higher base multiplier, thus giving you higher base damage on attacks with high wep dmg like zombie bears, pile on and haunt.. and the biggest difference youll see is in the crits. The crit dmg difference is much bigger for 2h than a 1h.
Reply Quote
bumped for daedroth
Reply Quote
bumped for PBnj
Reply Quote
Awesome build, i use a slightly different one but never imagined haunt+2h would work so well. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Bumped for Maffy
Reply Quote
Ok I tried to figure out how you changed your attack bars and the mouse buttons and cant do it. The two mouse buttons look to be locked and cant be changed? Looks like you have two voodoos on your tool bar ? I sure would like to know how this was dont cause I already bought gear to try this build and cant get the tool bar to look like yours.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Elective Mode
Reply Quote
AHHH thank you. I will kill much better now.

So far I guess I will have to get used to the build but it is working so far.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Am I the only one that runs BBV/FA without VQ?

I'm assuming that you want BBV/FA up for elite packs (I certainly do when I run BBV/FA). This means no VQ on trash, which means possible mana issues on trash...unless you stack regen items, I suppose.

I personally prefer Blood Ritual over VQ and Jung Fort over PtV. I also use Splinters instead of Haunt, having a good ranged option that is essentially free to cast is great vs. trash, *especially* ranged trash. I use Scoundrel instead of Templar though for snaring since I lack a snare (multishot + cold damage bow rocks).

I find that with Blood Ritual I'm able to spam bears without VQ during BBV just fine. Blood Ritual allows me to use bears more often against trash too. With my current levels of gear/resists I prefer Jung Fort to PtV, but I can see value in both. Dying during your BBV/FA combo sucks, but killing faster makes that less likely as does more damage resistance.

I guess I could see one strong argument for VQ with these specs....if you DO happen to die on an elite pack, you at least have VQ to support you to finish it off even though you don't have BBV/FA. Likewise if you happen to find another elite pack before BBV/FA are up again, you have VQ support at least. I will admit that it is painful for me sans VQ in both of the above situations (dying vs elites, finding elites "too quickly") but I manage.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Just did some act 2 with PtV/VQ in place of JF/BR. Mixed feelings.

Trash actually became annoying in a few spots, which never happened before (mana issues, couldn't use bears enough). Probably would have been solved with +mana regen gear or just better DPS in general. I will say it was nice to have VQ the couple of times I didn't have BBV/FA up for an elite pack.
Reply Quote
I like the strat gaiden, I have tried similar passives, and the survivability does improve, but since I use a 2h the only place I can get mana regen is on the helm, and so at times I have found mana to be problematic. Either spec works, like i said before this isn't 'the best spec' its just what was worked for me.

I will admit that at times trash does become annoying with this spec due to the need for spirit walk in order to do legitimate dmg with bears against large packs of white mobs. This spec is specialized for elites and bosses- its sort of a trade-off i guess.

To avoid deaths from white mobs, the best thing to do is to ALWAYS wait for spirit walk to be up before moving from one battle to another.

I found that early on a lot of my deaths came after I would kill a bunch of white mobs, and then quickly move through the level to another group without waiting for spirit walk to cooldown all the way.

Jaunt, spirit vessel and FA are the only real forms of defense in this spec so having at least one of them up when engaging is definitely a good idea.

Though it might slow the pace, waiting 5-10 seconds for spirit walk to cooldown in between fights will definitely save some on the repair bill. Always having it up for use when you engage is necessary to avoid some of the deaths that should be avoided.
Reply Quote
bumped for johnny303
Reply Quote
bumped for drdocta
Reply Quote
worked for me all the way to Ghom with relative ease. Had to switch it up completely to down Ghom however.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Just curious....when you run PtV/VQ, do you try to hold back on using FA/BBV for elite packs....or do you pop it whenever it comes off CD so that you have VQ always active during trash, and then when you run into an elite pack just Haunt kite (if possible, not happening vs. a soul lasher pack or certain fast elites) until BBV/FA are available?

If I were to run PtV/VQ and not have Splinters in the build (as I do now, but I can see the value of having a DoT/snare instead in Haunt) I think I'd have to pop BBV/FA to activate VQ for any significant trash or else play a *very* patient game clearing white mobs.

I also bounce a lot between using Jaunt rune vs. Honored Guest, but if was going to have VQ up for most trash then Jaunt is the clear winner (and its def better vs elites, I fully agree).
Reply Quote
Herm. This is an interesting idea. I might try it for a DoT build someday, but I doubt I'll use a bears build. It's not really my style :)

07/10/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Mrbones1021
My WD is now 87k DPS unbuffed, 70k hp, 40% crit chance and 264% crit dmg with AR 200-300 so its easy for me to say this spec "works" but I have ran this spec since way before 1.03 patch back when I had a blue 1100 DPS wep and it worked back then as well.

Man, you got some insane stats. I thought I was up there with 40k DPS and 80k health. My AR is very similar to yours, too. I might have missed it, but do you have any Lifesteal or LoH? That's probably where I'm losing my DPS. I have a mighty huge chunk of LoH.

Edit: If you could ever live without the mana regen, you should try Big Bad Voodoo with Ghost Trance. I rarely meet someone with the health I do, so I don't really tell anyone. :) At a certain point your health becomes so high that the 5% regen makes you incredibly tanky. 4k health a second plus life on hit is pretty amazing.
Edited by GamerObscura#1236 on 7/14/2012 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To answer your question Gaidren, yes most of the time I do have to pop fetishes/bbv on trash initially so VQ is active- and many elite mobs I do end up fighting without bbv or fetishes. I also agree mobs with the fast affix or who are natually fast like soul reapers are more difficult to kite- infact they are probably the most difficult for this spec, but nonetheless if you do have trouble normally waiting for bbv/fetishes will solve your problem.

Haunt really has two purposes. It serves as a way to kite effectively long enough for spirit walk to cooldown, and it is good at cleaning up annoying ranged white mobs. The reason why i stress jaunt so much is because most of the dps is done while spirit walked, and the extra second is just awesome when utilized all the way.

Many WDs have asked me questions about what to improve, and the first thing I have told many of them is "make your gear or spec set up so you do not have to use honored guest". We can all agree that spirit walk is the WDs main defense and one more second can allow you to position yourself to rekite, or finish a mob all the way before you pop out.

Whether it be a 1h and mojo or a 2h, having a reliance on honored guest, or excluding ptv because of the mana cost can hurt your overall dps quite a bit with this type of spec. If you need to compromise some stats for mana regen on a helm, mojo, or knife then that is completely fine if it allows you to use jaunt and/or PtV.

Running splinters could solve the mana problem pretty well- with a 2h (which is my preference for high dmg haunt/bears) splinters are too slow to be effective, but if you're a 1h and mojo guy it could definitely work.

Thanks gamerobscura, new wep and up over 100k dps now : )

To answer your question, I don't have any LoH- I would definitely like some life steal on my wep but it is going to be difficult to find one with similar dmg/stats what also has life steal.

It seems like your more tanky than me which is pretty cool. The ghost trance is a lot of fun ive used it before too. I actually recently switched to slam dance because I am at the point where everything dies before I go oom, but I think ghost trance will also be an awesome PvP tool.
Reply Quote
Going to start streaming soon- I will most likely post a link on this page when I do- just so those who are hesitant can see the 5 second azmodan kills in action!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]