Diablo® III

Shut down the RMAH

It just makes sense. It was a crappy idea to start with. Then focus on improving your inherently flawed game. C'mon Blizz, I want to like this game but you're making it super difficult.
Reply Quote
I seriously doubt that'll ever happen, the server costs need to be recouped and seeing as D3 isn't an MMO, they have two options:

1. they bleed themselves dry with zero profits after the initial release income but a lot of monthly maintenance
2. lean on the RMAH for monetization

If the game had been purely single-player with no server-side DRM or drop-in, drop-out capability, they wouldn't need a financial crutch.

The third option, which nobody will appreciate, is their chopping the game up into smaller pieces they'll then proceed to gate behind micro-transactions, effectively crossing over into a partial use of Free-to-Play mechanics.

Unfortunately, the only reason for any of this is the DRM they've applied, and the inherent server costs. B.net 2.0 hasn't exactly been a profitable venture for anyone, and the real-money returns per item on both the end-user and Blizzard's side are laughable. I've seen fairly deluded folks who marketed items on the auction house in the hundreds of dollars - in a game where the central hook is that you might always find a new and better item just around the corner. This means that anyone who actually spends real money in the game is setting themselves up for disappointment.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]