Diablo® III

Stop saying PvP will be "Pay to win"

OP, you're right. Blizz is giving us gamers a choice. Pay cash and progress at a reasonable pace or grind away for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours till you finally have a million gold pieces to buy something on the AH.

But sadly, you won't get it. All the bots out there are scooping up gear and gold left and right leaving you with only your pocket book.
Edited by Pyramid#1310 on 7/9/2012 10:54 AM PDT
PvP will be interesting for a little while, but they already said they aren't going to be balancing the game around PvP.. I can't even imagine how boring the fights will be between a 100k dps DH and a 100k DPS wizard. The fight will be over the second one person uses all of their cool downs, maybe even before then.

PvP in WoW was ridiculous if you werent in a high end guild playing for hours a night doing raids and what not to have insane gear. I remember being a priest and going up against warriors and just getting instantly exploded in 3-4 hits. Thats not skill, that is just a gear check battle really.

In order for skill to play a part, a PvP fight has to actually last a long enough period of time for people to employ tactics and skill. Like most games these days, it is mainly all about gear, then there is a small percentage of skill and tactics involved. Id say 80% gear, 20% skill.

Sure, you could have slightly inferior gear and still best somebody in PvP with some skills, but it will mostly be determined by the gear you have.

Ive gotten really bored of D3 since beating Diablo on Inferno difficulty. My gear could get A LOT better, but I don't see what the point is getting better gear, for what? To kill Diablo on inferno difficulty again? The game is over for me, at least on my Monk. I just started a new character, a Wizard, and its a lot of fun leveling, but the end game needs so much work. I was playing for 5+ hours every single night after work and I never found any gear that I could actually use.. The most I ever sold anything for in the Auction House was for 6 million, but that was a 1 time thing.. after that, everything i sell is worth hundreds of thousands, not millions.

For me to get 1 upgrade from the AH at this point, it will cost me between 10-20 million per item. The amount of time you have to invest into this game is just too intense for me, as I have a job, a dog and other things going on in my life that I can't afford to spend 8 hours or so a day trying to farm Act 3 siegebreakers for slightly better gear so that I can go and compete in PvP.. so if I still even have the game installed at that point and im having difficulty in pvp, i will probably end up using money to get gear from the RMAH to compete..

IE I will be paying to win, because its better than investing 6+ hours a night into the HOPE that I get an upgrade, or an item worth anything on the AH.. It is so hard to sell anything in the AH anymore.. the people who got to inferno level first and raked in serious cash at the start of the game are at a significant advantage, because the economy now is just awful and there is huge inflation.
Coerced pay to win.

Spend 300 hours farming for a single item you need, or buy it.

Technically, it's not pay to win, but it's so difficult to find what you need, that it might as well be.

hehe you just summarized my entire TL;DR post above.. Nicely done. That is exactly the problem with Diablo 3... All of these "skillful" players aren't anything special, they just have the TIME that allows them to farm the game like its a full time job. I had absolutely no life when D3 first came out, I would work all day, come home, eat, then play D3 for 5+ hours EVERY NIGHT and I only ever found 1 thing that was an upgrade, and another item that i crafted at the blacksmith. So that is 2 items that I found myself that im using, the rest was from GAH or RMAH and I have well over 200 hours or so played, so im not a "casual" gamer
To the OP:

After 4 pages so far, I hope you get the most relevant point here:

YOU believe Blizz can make a decent PvP game out of what they have given us so far. YOU believe them when they say "dont worry; we'll level this out for you". Very, VERY few other people here do believe that, based on what we've seen of the game and their attempts to improve PvE.

In the end, thats what it boils down to; faith in Blizz.
Community Manager
More specifically, based off of your win/loss record. It's not dissimilar from the matchmaker found in StarCraft II, which is based off of the Elo system used for Chess championships. Your win/loss and who they were against determines a 'skill rating', which is used to match up against other players of a similar rating. The intent is to get an even/fair match. Regardless of any individual factors like build, gear, or player ability, you'll find some equilibrium where you're facing off against players that you're about as likely to beat as you are to lose. If getting better gear raises your abilities then you're simply matched against players of a higher rating. Changing builds or just getting better at PvP could have the same effect. But regardless if you move up or down you're ultimately still netting around a 50/50 win/loss as you're always matching against similarly rated players.
07/09/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
More specifically, based off of your win/loss record. It's not dissimilar from the matchmaker found in StarCraft II, which is based off of the Elo system used for Chess championships. Your win/loss and who they were against determines a 'skill rating', which is used to match up against other players of a similar rating. The intent is to get an even/fair match. Regardless of any individual factors like build, gear, or player ability, you'll find some equilibrium where you're facing off against players that you're about as likely to beat as you are to lose. If getting better gear raises your abilities then you're simply matched against players of a higher rating. Changing builds or just getting better at PvP could have the same effect. But regardless if you move up or down you're ultimately still netting around a 50/50 win/loss as you're always matching against similarly rated players.

I thought you were fired.

You believe everything you hear?
85 Human Warlock
07/09/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Bashiok

So basically.... people who bought uber gear will face off against regular people early on beating the living hell from them... to eventually be matched against other people who bought gear on the rmah... somewhere near the top of the ladder.... yep seems fair?

You believe everything you hear?

It was obviously a jest.

Are you that dense?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]