Diablo® III

Stop saying PvP will be "Pay to win"

It will definitely be pay to win.
07/09/2012 11:05 AMPosted by Bashiok
More specifically, based off of your win/loss record. It's not dissimilar from the matchmaker found in StarCraft II, which is based off of the Elo system used for Chess championships. Your win/loss and who they were against determines a 'skill rating', which is used to match up against other players of a similar rating. The intent is to get an even/fair match. Regardless of any individual factors like build, gear, or player ability, you'll find some equilibrium where you're facing off against players that you're about as likely to beat as you are to lose. If getting better gear raises your abilities then you're simply matched against players of a higher rating. Changing builds or just getting better at PvP could have the same effect. But regardless if you move up or down you're ultimately still netting around a 50/50 win/loss as you're always matching against similarly rated players.

HOLY CRAP A BLUE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NEARLY A WEEK
Someone earlier suggested gambling on matches. THAT IS A GREAT IDEA.

Have matches with gambling enabled. Different minimums (100, 1K, 10k, 100K, 1M)

Once the game is set both players should be able to enter in what they want to bet BLIND of the other person. Lowest bet is made.

My wizard will be making it rain.
100 Goblin Shaman
This doesn't change the fact that gear will be the deciding factor in this game... Which is what this thread is ultimately about.

Do you really think the guy who bought gear and has 1000 resists, 120k dps is going to lose to the more skilled person with 500 resists and 40k dps?

Not gonna happen.
Edited by Robert#1297 on 7/9/2012 11:34 AM PDT
07/09/2012 11:17 AMPosted by Bashiok
Umm... that rating system wont work. You can't use ratio, because someone fighting harder opponents will have the same ratio that someone fighting weaker opponents will have. It would be like pairing up professional baseball players against little leaguers simply because they have the same team batting average and era. It's not a fair fight.

Oh no, it's not based on ratio. Look up the Elo system, I'm sure there's a wiki that can explain it better than I could.

So there will be Arenas with 2 v2 , 1 v 1 , 3 v 3 , 4 v 4 ?
Will there ever be something similar to "battlegrounds" with 8 players murdering each other. Hell make it go up to 16 players + similar to CoD with different scenarios and "open world" PvP.
It's pay 2 win, boys and girls
Yeah, that's what we figured, but thanks for the confirmation
This doesn't change the fact that gear will be the deciding factor in this game... Which is what this thread is ultimately about.

Do you really think the guy who bought gear and has 1000 resists, 120k dps is going to beat the more skilled person with 500 resists and 40k dps?

Not gonna happen.

Then he won't be paired with those people stupid.
73 Undead Warrior
Honestly, PvP is last on my list. I think we need a playable & enjoyable game first and foremost.

Can we get an honest hardcore assessment of what's going on with the game? We as a community are so left in the dark.

*What improvements and when
*Direction the design staff is going
*The best way we as a community can give feedback/input in a positive fashion
More specifically, based off of your win/loss record. It's not dissimilar from the matchmaker found in StarCraft II, which is based off of the Elo system used for Chess championships. Your win/loss and who they were against determines a 'skill rating', which is used to match up against other players of a similar rating. The intent is to get an even/fair match. Regardless of any individual factors like build, gear, or player ability, you'll find some equilibrium where you're facing off against players that you're about as likely to beat as you are to lose. If getting better gear raises your abilities then you're simply matched against players of a higher rating. Changing builds or just getting better at PvP could have the same effect. But regardless if you move up or down you're ultimately still netting around a 50/50 win/loss as you're always matching against similarly rated players.

Will there be free-for-all pvp?
That was what made pvp so exciting in d2, it was dangerous.

I swear to god if they take the WoW route and start everyone off at 0 ELO, pvp will be horrible to get into without top-tier gear. 1500 is fine, let me play at 1200 without getting roflstomped all day
100 Human Warlock
Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of PvP being centered around Arenas? If I wanted to do that I'd go play WoW. Give me back my Blood Moore.
100 Night Elf Hunter
It IS pay to win. There are no specialized builds; there are no skill-based mechanics in this game. PVP will come down to who spent the most at the RMAH and whoever's latency is less.

Gaah... fayle
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]