Diablo® III

Uber Boss Activated!

So, get this. You downed Inferno Diablo. You've farmed Act 3 and 4 plenty. You then decide to go and pay Leoric a visit.

However, when you enter his throneroom, you see a pentagram at the south end of the room, with a weird red portal. You step through, into a strange, slightly darker version of the throne room. You activate Leoric and he proceeds to hand you your bum.

Welcome to the realm of Uber Bosses, or where I believe the endgame of Diablo 3 should aim.

Introduction: Inferno, and what went wrong.

Inferno was a well intentioned but honestly failed experiment. It tried to force a progressive endgame onto an ARPG. A progressive endgame is a pretty awesome thing and could work well, but it was they *way* it was done that annoyed a lot of people.

In ARPGs, what most people want to do (and have done in most) is reach a certain 'completed' state and farm their hearts out for the best loot in the game in content that is hard enough not to be boring but easy enough that they can do it without weeks of grinding.

Where a lot of APRGs miss the mark is what comes after - it always feels a little lame to get that amazing loot and not having anything to do with it! I've always loved the idea of having some awesomely hard content to test my uber gear/build on, once I'm done (or taking a break) from farming.

Diablo 3 unfortunately tried to do this bass ackwards. It gave us the uber hard content *before* we could really gear and also made it the same content we had done before. Furthermore it had a lack of compelling loot to find. It was also jarring to have beaten the Prime Evil three times and then find ourselves on the end of a butt-kicking from a glowing Spiderling.

And so...

The idea.

Basically, we aren't going to see a total overhaul of the endgame at this point. We are going to see *something*. And so this is designed as a simple but fun solution to the endgame problem.

The way it works is this.

First Blizzard nerfs Inferno again slightly (if needed), mostly in terms of the elites.

Then Blizzard introduces a slightly new system whereby after killing Inferno Diablo, you gain access to the first level of Uber boss content.

To unlock an Uberboss you need to approach the entrace to the boss chamber with 5 stacks of NV. Or maybe you kill the boss? I don't know. But whatever you do, you gain access to a short, hard dungeon culminating in a much more tightly tuned and difficult variation of the original boss that will test your character to the max.

Uber bosses use 1-2 new mechanics, have an affix (pre-chosen, not random), have a high hp pool and damage output and also (possibly) a pretty tight enrage.

Uber bosses are also sequential. Meaning to unlock Uber Aranae, you must first kill Uber Leoric.

Uber Leoric would be tuned slightly above Inferno Diablo. Uber Aranae would be tuned slightly above Inferno Leoric. And so on. After killing Uber Diablo...who knows? Multiple bosses together?

Uber bosses would have a higher chance of dropping sets and legendaries, would only drop ilvl 61-63 but would be hard enough to prevent easy farming. Maybe even give them a lockout mechanic after killing? Is that too MMO?

Why would it work?

- It would offer an epic and progressive endgame.

- It would offer this *after* the gearing/farming phase that most people love about ARPGs.

- It would not be overly hard to do. Heck, I could think of some nifty mechanics for each boss pretty easily.

- It would be fine to make it hard. People expect to be owned by a boss (they get annoyed when they get owned by a spiderling though).

- It offers a nice balance between farming elites and killing bosses.

- It gives bosses the 'omg awesome' feeling lacking at the moment.

TLDR

Uber Bosses (a progressive series of hard boss fights unlocked after killing Inferno Diablo) coupled with a slight nerf to Inferno Elites would make a lot more sense than the current system.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Updated for the 20th rather than making a new post. Thought I would get this out there since they confirmed they were looking for feedback on a new endgame.
Edited by Starbird#1487 on 7/19/2012 7:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
my thought are there will be 1000's of posts about how hard Uberbosses are and eventually will be nerfed into the ground so any drooling neckbeard can do it with their eyes closed on youtube.

I like the portal idea .. now if it were a bottomless dungeon into hell... you know, to clear out hell of any left over demons that might want to step up now that diablo is dead (lore purposes).... that would own
Edited by Nabbs#1644 on 7/5/2012 5:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You suffer from the same problem that Bliz suffers from. You think that your idea of fun is what's got to be fun for everyone. It's not. Your idea isn't a bad one, but it's far to narrow for a lasting endgame. A game needs open goals... like D2's quest for items or progress to lvl99. We need windmills to tilt (if you get the archaic reference to Don Quioxte). Yours is simply a challenge... and a challenge isn't an endgame.
Reply Quote
this idea sounds nice. also, please make Legendary items....LEGENDARY...
Reply Quote
Make them spawn randomly in the open world and then we have a winner!
Reply Quote
not a bad idea, but the farmers would still farm it.

The idea goes like this, Blizzard can not make a level that's so difficult that only farmers would have access to. If that's the case, the market would be dominated by them, and the high prices will lock everyone out. ie. not a happy crowd.

The market is self adjusting, and is Blizzard's biggest enemy, also it's cash cow.
Reply Quote
+1 and thumbs up!

Great, well constructed post. You my friend have reaffirmed my faith that a fun end game is possible for this game.

I especially agree with the whole, beat the game, run a boss while having five stacks and then after killing him, a boss dungeon opens up.

Awesome. You get good loot bc u have five stacks and it's a super fun but challenging boss romp, which I sorely miss.

EVERYONE GIVE THIS A THUMBS UP SO BASHIOK NOTICES.

TO DO THIS, click the post, quite literally, then Click the like!!!!!
Reply Quote
Reserved.
Reply Quote
Love the idea :)

Would love to see this implemented along an endless dungeon.
Reply Quote
D2 had three difficulties and it worked just fine; five difficulties (what we would have in D3 if this were implemented) feels like clutter to me. If Inferno -as is- is a failure of a difficulty, why keep it around? Inferno should be a test of the character's strength not another run through the same crap we've seen a million times. The only reason people play inferno is for the high level loot. There are no "enhancements" to gameplay unless you like enrage timers, 4 times the randomness on elites, and getting one shotted by trash mobs.

I like the uber boss idea, but I would suggest reworking the difficulty and loot tables on Normal through Hell as well. Bring hell difficulty to a level in between hell and inferno so that it is hard, but still fun to run through (keep hell elites @ 3 affixes too) and make these uber bosses the new "Inferno". Now we have the three original difficulties with a new Inferno that actually plays like a new gamemode.
Reply Quote
my thought are there will be 1000's of posts about how hard Uberbosses are and eventually will be nerfed into the ground so any drooling neckbeard can do it with their eyes closed on youtube.

I like the portal idea .. now if it were a bottomless dungeon into hell... you know, to clear out hell of any left over demons that might want to step up now that diablo is dead (lore purposes).... that would own

Endless dungeons are also good, but they need a huge time investment which Blizzard aren't looking for in this game...and will also be complained about.

The idea is that players *know* how hard Uberbosses are and that they can realistically get the gear elsewhere.

07/05/2012 05:24 PMPosted by furyior
you'd still end up outgearing it ... as players wouldent be happy if they released new content which is actually a challenge .. not a bad idea .. but i cant see it happening ...

Of course. That's the nature of the game. But it would still be pretty cool and with the right level of tuning would last all but the best a good long time.

07/05/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Shagsbeard
You suffer from the same problem that Bliz suffers from. You think that your idea of fun is what's got to be fun for everyone. It's not. Your idea isn't a bad one, but it's far to narrow for a lasting endgame. A game needs open goals... like D2's quest for items or progress to lvl99. We need windmills to tilt (if you get the archaic reference to Don Quioxte). Yours is simply a challenge... and a challenge isn't an endgame.

Your opinion - and not entirely wrong. But while open goals can be fun, some people prefer more concrete progression based ones.

07/05/2012 05:37 PMPosted by bluejays90
Diablo 2 - Median XL mod. Has TONS of uber bosses and challenges that give awesome loot only dropped by them. I really wish Laz the maker of that mod made this game. His mod on the D3 engine would be the last game I would ever need.

I never really enjoyed XL (I did like the bosses, but it all felt way too gimmicky and cheap). Eastern Sun though...:)
Reply Quote
The idea is very appealing; it gives a nice extra utility to Nephalem valor and you know how much the developers been pushing that mechanic. :p

I think one of the key things about uber bosses in D2 was that they were incredibly difficult to find. So I think it's important to maintain that sort of obscurity if they're implemented in D3.

Oh, and I very much agree about inferno in general needing the slightest bit of nerf (that's only if uberbosses or a similar event are implemented to counterbalance it).
Edited by KloHunt3r#1680 on 7/5/2012 7:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not a horrible idea, but it feels like a temp patch on a longterm problem.

It reminds me of MK endurance mode though, in a good way.
Reply Quote
so any drooling neckbeard can do it with their eyes closed on youtube.

Based on what the definition of a neckbeard is, a neckbeard would be able to beat it anyway.

Someone who didn't have the time to sit around playing games all day on the other hand....

...that would be the sort of person complaining that they couldn't beat it.
Reply Quote
What is a neckbeard anyway?
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Rain
What is a neckbeard anyway?

I actually wonder this myself. I've always imagined it as someone who plays videogames all day...but surely they would be the type who actually finishes it?
Reply Quote
Personally, and for many people as well as I can read in the forum, I am not interested in PvE progression much. The only game I've enjoyed in a long time that was based on progression was dark souls, but it's a massively different game than Diablo 3 since one game is fixed and the other is based on RNG almost entirely.

I enjoy progression to a certain degree, but only if it accompanies one of the two: PvP (again, dont expect serious PvP from d3 similar to that of say HoN) and crazy customization (like a tower defenses where you could have endless variety of builds, or....that RPG called Diablo 2 if you guys heard about it).

Whatever the solution to fix end game d3 is, I hope it is accompanied by making it possible to have endless viable customization. I know skill trees is a ship that has long sailed, but there's still hope in having more items variety and making inferno easier so LOH or kiting glass cannons are not the only viable builds to progress.

Having said that I like your idea for one main reason: it's going to give those elitist who take so much pride in killing limited AI monster by out gearing them and using cookie cutter builds something to do other than saying this game is too easy. And as I said, I like a little sense of progression, I just dont like it being the main concept of a game. It was not that as far as a I remember in D2; it was more of trying different builds and owning things that give you items to try more different builds that make you own things some more.
Reply Quote
Bump for awesomeness. Please thumbs up the OP to get bashioks attention!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]