Diablo® III

Public Games Matchmaking Clarification

Community Manager
We've recently seen a lot of questions from players regarding the number displayed in the Public Games window -- specifically, what the number represents and why it's changed so drastically since patch 1.0.3 released.

Here's the skinny:

1) What does the number displayed in the Public Games window actually represent?
The number that displays in the Public Games window represents the total number of games currently available, based on your game region and mode (Hardcore heroes qualify for a different set of Public Games). The number does not represent private games or Public Games that already have four players. Players hanging out in the character menus or using the auction house are not considered here either.

2) Why did that number suddenly change so much after patch 1.0.3?
Prior to patch 1.0.3, the in-game matchmaking system would often create new Public Games instead of filling existing games to their maximum capacity of four players. That configuration was to help reduce server load within individual games (fewer players, less load); however, it caused situations where players were rarely being placed into full games, and our goal has always been to promote the four player cooperative experience in Diablo III.

In patch 1.0.3 we made some changes so that the matchmaking system would attempt to fill Public Games instead of creating new ones whenever possible. As a result, we're seeing more filled Public Games than ever before (you may have noticed this yourself while playing), but it also means that the number displayed in the Public Games window generally isn't as high as it was prior to patch 1.0.3. As explained above, this is due to the fact that the value only reflects Public Games which aren't yet full.

We understand that labeling this number as "In Games" in the Public Games window can be confusing, so we're currently looking into ways to make the number and what it represents more clear. In the meantime, we continue to closely monitor both the state of the game service and your questions and comments about Diablo III.
Edited by Lylirra on 7/10/2012 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/10/2012 09:59 AMPosted by Lylirra
We've recently seen a lot of questions from players regarding the number displayed in the Public Games window

players are asking for numbers of people who have stopped playing
Reply Quote
07/10/2012 10:00 AMPosted by Remedy
Really? THAT is what you have seen 'a lot' of concern about?

lmao. +1

That and gear swapping is the main concern of the players in Blizzard's opinion.
Reply Quote
Actually, that is good to know.

I wondered why I was constantly thrown into a 1 person game in public games before 1.03 \. Never seemed to put me into a game that had more then 1 other player. And when I made my own game public, it seemed only 1 player would join.

Now I am having a blast in 4 player games all the time. Good job in that regard.
Reply Quote
It's true there has been lots of complaints and concern about the numbers in public games. Thanks for clearing it up Lylirra , although it's pretty obvious the game is losing players rapidly.
Edited by Fugue#1906 on 7/10/2012 10:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
...wow
Reply Quote
yeh hi all i still cant get on the game i cant download patch says it will close n update but i get an error yet i have a mate next to me but he got in fine a lil help plz this bs
Reply Quote
I agree with the blue... but... I think what also factors in..is after patch 1.03... 27 of 29 of my friends no longer log-in.
Reply Quote
It's good to hear that you're making sure people get populated public games. Since you're promoting the 4-player co-op experience, do you have plans to give players incentives to play co-op, perhaps through increased drop rates or some other mechanism?
Reply Quote
excellent. good to know
Reply Quote
View profile
here's an idea...

nerf fire chain damage!
Reply Quote
people laugh but for weeks I've seen people use the number to prove that no one is playing the game. thanks for the clarification blizz.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]