Diablo® III

I have extensively tested HA vs Evasive Fire.

Many DHs are asking about the effectiveness of Evasive Fire, and questions of WHY Evasive Fire over Hungering Arrow.

I have used these two skills equally for about a month already, and here is my answer on their advantages and disadvantages.

My crit is low at 34.5%, so I am not including tests for Spray of Teeth on HA (I know its good).

Evasive Fire (Covering Fire)
Advantages
Hits up to 3 targets at once
Superior damage if fighting 2 targets or more (spreadsheet-proven)
Higher hatred regen of 4 per shot
Low-cost Backflip if used smartly, Backflip works with Tactical Advantage
Resets attack animation if used smartly, thus it scales extremely well with slower 2h crossbows
Instant-hit, no downtime
Able to pierce through certain corners and walls (Was even better prior to 1.03 though)
Damage upgradable through chest piece (up to 12%)

Disadvantages
Shorter-range than HA
Auto-target not as good as HA (It's worth noting however that at least there is still an auto-target)
Unreliable, and the backflip is terrible if you are stuck in a tight corner with mobs in your face
Attack has a wide angle spread and sometimes hit unwanted targets (etc goblin)

Hungering Arrow (Devouring Arrow)
Advantages
Hits 1 target multiple times if arrow pierces
Superior damage against single target (spreadsheet-proven)
Further range than EF
Auto-aim is better than EF
Reliable and easily utilized, no unwanted backflips etc
Damage upgradable through quiver or shield (up to 12%)

Disadvantages
Effectiveness reduced against multiple enemies
Arrow may sometimes veer off against your main target to strike one closer to you
Lower hatred regen of 3 per shot
Arrow flies off screen and sometimes hit unwanted targets (etc goblin)

My final word is this. If you outgear your enemies, Evasive Fire is superior. If your enemies outgear you, Hunger Arrowing is superior. If you are fighting fast mobs, Evasive Fire is superior(when coupled with Tactical Advantage). If you are fighting act bosses, Hunger Arrow is superior. Example, when fighting Belial, EF is extremely effective against P1, okay against P2, but terrible against P3. HA is terrible against P1, okay against P2, and damn good in P3.

I used them both equally depending on the situation, and I do encourage all non-EF users to at least give it a try. When you master how to correctly use the backflip, you will like it too.
Edited by Fieryeel#6328 on 7/12/2012 1:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on the rest of your abilities too. E.g. hungering arrow does more single target DPS than elemental arrow with any rune. So for people who use ele arrow, they will probably want to keep HA for those situations.

Also, what do you mean by resetting attack animation with EF?
Reply Quote
I use both.

I'd use EF for mobs.
I'd use HA for single Target.

And I'd agree, EF can shoot through walls. But it does not shoot through "room's walls", rather the monster's Walls. And I also use EF to trigger backflip and make a fast dash to safety "cheaply at 4 Discipline" instead of 12 Disc for BackFlip.
Edited by ragnakore#2796 on 7/9/2012 6:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I use both.

I'd use EF for mobs.
I'd use HA for single Target.

And I'd agree, EF can shoot through walls. But it does not shoot through "room's walls", rather the monster's Walls. And I also use EF to trigger backflip and make a fast dash to safety "cheaply at 4 Discipline" instead of 12 Disc for BackFlip.

EF got nerfed recently it no longer shoots through elite walls. If you use both you are wasting skill slots. EF is no longer as useful as it was pre 1.0.3, period. The most efficient method of hatred usage is now alternating heavy use of hatred spenders (cluster or EA) depending on your attack speed and HA for hatred generation. Alternatively people use justice is served for hatred generation.

EF is beyond bad IMO... If i wanted backflips i would have used vault and it would let me flip every direction i wanted. Sure, you could hit 3 targets, but why bother when you can use frost arrows on those same 3 targets and achieve greater dps output, of course if you are looking at the DH from a gimped dps perspective then EF might be better off for you, meh.
Reply Quote

My crit is low at 34.5%, so I am not including tests for Spray of Teeth on HA (I know its good).

I read a thread about a week ago that did the math between Devouring Arrow and Spray of Teeth, and i believe it came to the conclusion that at 35% crit chance, Spray of teeth will do MORE dmg vs a single target. Your really close to that so you might want to take a look into that skill
Reply Quote

I read a thread about a week ago that did the math between Devouring Arrow and Spray of Teeth, and i believe it came to the conclusion that at 35% crit chance, Spray of teeth will do MORE dmg vs a single target. Your really close to that so you might want to take a look into that skill

Eh, I read somewhere that you need 80%ish crit chance before spray of teeth outdamaged devouring arrow. Not sure though. Also, 35% crit is not that high, yet most people don't use SoT, so something's up.
Reply Quote
The actual math is not 35%. You have to factor in the AoE effects of SoT, and the 50% weapon damage of the AoE, whereas DA adds 70% weapon damage on a successful pierce. I would care less about the math and do what I felt like doing - more AoE on my primary or hitting harder on a single target.
Reply Quote
Interesting. I shall test out Spray of Teeth more once I get at least 36% Crit.
Reply Quote
I am not at 41.5% Crit and testing out SoT.

It's very very strong. I would use it over Devouring in 90% of cases, unless there was only one enemy (etc Inferno Diablo).

I still feel that Evasive Fire is superior to HA if you outgear your enemy though. Even with SoT, I have to wait for the arrow to hit the enemy, maybe crit, do some spray damage.

With EF, it's instantly 3 enemies down per shot.
Reply Quote
I have extensively used Hungering Arrow (Spray of Teeth) and Evasion Fire (Covering Fire) too.
Personally I prefer Evasion Fire in almost all situations (except Fighting "Diablo"). I think many experienced players have provided pros and cons of using different skills already. I just wanna add two points. One of them is that many DHs use EF mistakenly by just keep using the stand-and-fire tactics, which will consume your discipline very quickly. Another point is that both the horizontal and vertical range of EF is more promising than you expected. Many people prefer HA with SoT just because with the high crit% a great AoE damage can be made. But dun forget that the range of the AoE damage (as I tested) is less than 10 yards, which is not so useful unless all monsters are packed closely. That means it is quite not effective when fighting elites or champion.

So I recommend all DHs should give EF a try!
Reply Quote
I have extensively used Hungering Arrow (Spray of Teeth) and Evasion Fire (Covering Fire) too.
Personally I prefer Evasion Fire in almost all situations (except Fighting "Diablo"). I think many experienced players have provided pros and cons of using different skills already. I just wanna add two points. One of them is that many DHs use EF mistakenly by just keep using the stand-and-fire tactics, which will consume your discipline very quickly. Another point is that both the horizontal and vertical range of EF is more promising than you expected. Many people prefer HA with SoT just because with the high crit% a great AoE damage can be made. But dun forget that the range of the AoE damage (as I tested) is less than 10 yards, which is not so useful unless all monsters are packed closely. That means it is quite not effective when fighting elites or champion.

So I recommend all DHs should give EF a try!

Strange. Some DHs claim its 15 yards.
Reply Quote
i've sworn by HA for the longest time, but after switching to cluster arrows LFB as my hatred dump, i found EF with covering rune to work better in most situations for me.

single target dps = LFB, big mobs also = LFB, remnant mobs EF hitting 3 targets at once does a better job than HA, even with soT because most of the time mobs aint bunched up that tightly together. and for single target trash EF still does decent dmg.

the one thing i hate most is if u get stuck in a corner... EF becomes totally useless because it sucks your disc dry. granted it doesnt happen often, but when it does i wish i had another skill instead of EF =/
Reply Quote
Even you use HA instead of EF you should not get stuck in corner
Reply Quote
Strange, I would have thought that if you were stuck in a corner with a distance where the flip triggers .. its time to SS out & behind and EF to cheap flip trigger TA and start kiting in the other direction.

What I do find annoying is when i'm cornered and SS and try to click an empty spot on the crowded map to get out but hit a monster and backflip instead.

Personally I'd have to side towards EF for that little extra tech synergy (such as with TA) and slightly better hate generation. The flip also helps with keeping effective range for Steady Aim and Cluster as well nice for popping a trap, flipping, activating the trap whilst continuing shooting. If anything EF allows you to get that 'one' extra shot in before you have to high tail it.
Not to mention that the animation of two hand crossbows going 'bang bang !' has got to be the coolest in the game ..
Edited by Ironmarshall#6782 on 7/12/2012 1:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nothing wrong with trying something new, but it's usually best to roll with what you know or have the most fun with.

I almost always use EF because you have control of your shots and its instant. HA is good and has its uses vs single targets, but outside of that all the piercing and seeking random crap is too much. Ex. I have a tongue lasher that needs to die but HA decides it needs to go somewhere else or it strays around a corner and smacks a Champ.
Reply Quote
HA also hits goblins off screen... for that reason alone it is vastly inferior to EV. I would also like to mention that it still does shoot through certain obstacles, just not as many as before. Damage isn't everything, which is why EV > HA.
Reply Quote
How is 35% crit low? I have some killer gear and only have 20%...
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 01:46 AMPosted by Lynxonyx
HA also hits goblins off screen... for that reason alone it is vastly inferior to EV. I would also like to mention that it still does shoot through certain obstacles, just not as many as before. Damage isn't everything, which is why EV > HA.

I bet to differ.

I 've had goblins escape thanks to EF spread hitting a goblin accidentally.

The backflip also backfired on me twice. Once was when I was chasing a goblin through tightly packed mobs, and kept backflipping away from him. Another was when the goblin was in a staircase corner, and the distance between us was too short, and I kept backflipping out of the corner.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]