Diablo® III

I have extensively tested HA vs Evasive Fire.

07/12/2012 12:55 AMPosted by KWDiablo
Even you use HA instead of EF you should not get stuck in corner

with HA yea wont get stuck, but EF Gets me stuck in the corner at times in the first place, and then mobs surround me instantly so i cant smokescreen out either lol.

Strange, I would have thought that if you were stuck in a corner with a distance where the flip triggers .. its time to SS out & behind and EF to cheap flip trigger TA and start kiting in the other direction.

What I do find annoying is when i'm cornered and SS and try to click an empty spot on the crowded map to get out but hit a monster and backflip instead.

Personally I'd have to side towards EF for that little extra tech synergy (such as with TA) and slightly better hate generation. The flip also helps with keeping effective range for Steady Aim and Cluster as well nice for popping a trap, flipping, activating the trap whilst continuing shooting. If anything EF allows you to get that 'one' extra shot in before you have to high tail it.
Not to mention that the animation of two hand crossbows going 'bang bang !' has got to be the coolest in the game ..

i basically farm by smokescreening through trash mobs, so at any one time when i stop to fight elites i usually have half a screen full of trash mobs near me, if a EF flip puts me into a pack of them i cant escape, or if i kite n EF flip puts me in a corner there's no room to SS out either. that's my only beef about EF.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
KoR
I use both, personally. EA:CF for all purpose trash clearing dps, and HA:Devouring for when I need to burst down a primary target. CA:LFB for Hatred dump leaving 3 slots for the standard SS/Prep/Gloom, I'm pretty happy with that setup.

But EA is the bomb really, it's the skill that made me roll a DH, the hitscan/instant projectile is just a joy to use.
Edited by Myon#1319 on 7/12/2012 6:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I slightly hate Evasive Fire now, thanks to being scammed of my very nice +10% EF Nats chest by Saifiroth#1399.
Reply Quote
35% crit is in no way shape or form the "breaking point" for Spray of Teeth. Try doing math on the actual damage bonus of Devouring for single target and you'll see how ridiculous it is for single target.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 08:54 AMPosted by TheArtOfRuin
35% crit is in no way shape or form the "breaking point" for Spray of Teeth. Try doing math on the actual damage bonus of Devouring for single target and you'll see how ridiculous it is for single target.

I just did.

It isn't worth using at 35%.

I would need at least 50% for it to do nice solid single target dmg, and its still behind Devouring Arrow.
Reply Quote
The problem is that both skills have identical pierce chances and depending on your crit level, Spray of Teeth will do more initial damage than Devouring and fall off quickly past the 2nd or 3rd pierce. Spray vs Covering fire is a factor of the number of targets it can possibly hit and crit levels. That being said, I am still running Spray as it has no drawbacks (no backflip shenanigans vs Fast affixes) and performs better than Devouring on multiple targets while retaining comparable damage on single targets. Covering fire does absolutely horrid single target dps compared to either of the HA runes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
i havnt tried evasion fire but i tried spray of teeth an loaded for bear but i lack the aoe to kill white trash which i die to most when my cluster arrow misses the damn scorpions or little fallen

which is why ive been running ball lighting and dev arrow cause with multiple perice crits lol dev arrow is freaking insane ive killed azmodan in about sametime as i did before nt nerf with hunger arrow only

most elite will fall to my combo of line of jag spike caltrops line of ball lighting and rain of veng stampede with firing off HA to get hate back and i pretty much can lay this line of traps and dot damage and any elite in act 3 falls off instantly before rain ends
Reply Quote
I still use evasive fire because of its wider attack radius.
Reply Quote
If you wanted more AoE on your Hatred generator why not use say Bola Shot with Imminent Doom? I've been using this more often (I'm in Act 2 Inferno) and with SharpShooter, it synergizes very well since it takes 2 seconds to go off (so I'm at 34% crit, shoot once, 2 seconds later, I'm at 40% crit for 110k+ crits once it goes off plus AoE).

I'm having more of a problem picking my Hatred waster to be honest. I like EA (Frost Arrow) for the slow on elites, but CA (Cluster Bombs) does so much damage lol.
Edited by Cap#1769 on 7/12/2012 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
cause if your a glass cannon you dont want delayed damage thats more time for you to actuly get hit by some white trash where you die the most i rarely die to elites its mostly to stupid white trash getting by my aoe damage if i use loaded for bear and hitting me right as i come out smoke screen or as i turn a corner
Reply Quote
I've since switched to Spray+Cluster on left/right with Multishot (yes, multishot) for my 3rd skill (prep/smoke/gloom defensives) Damage goes through Invulnerable/Shielding and is instant.* Suppression Fire or Full Broadside are pretty solid.

*edit: by goes through I mean your shots arent hindered by shielding mobs in front of you, hitting all targets in the area regardless of a shielding mob/invuln mob being in front of your intended target
Edited by TheArtOfRuin#1935 on 7/12/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting.

I had not considered the fact multishot hit all mobs in front.
Reply Quote
Upz for more discussion.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 09:45 AMPosted by TheArtOfRuin
The problem is that both skills have identical pierce chances and depending on your crit level, Spray of Teeth will do more initial damage than Devouring and fall off quickly past the 2nd or 3rd pierce. Spray vs Covering fire is a factor of the number of targets it can possibly hit and crit levels. That being said, I am still running Spray as it has no drawbacks (no backflip shenanigans vs Fast affixes) and performs better than Devouring on multiple targets while retaining comparable damage on single targets. Covering fire does absolutely horrid single target dps compared to either of the HA runes.

I cannot disagree anymore
I have tested SoT and Covering fire extensively and I found SoT is not as great as your described in that the radius of explosion is too short and also the dps is too uncertain (due to 35% piercing rate and <50 crit%)
I understand the backflip vs fast mobs is a great drawback but the problem can be solved when you have other evasion/defensive skills to support you (vault/caltrop) and your dps is high enough (e.g., 50K) to kill the mobs quickly

As I said before I found HA is useful only when you dps is low (< 50k) or when you fight against Diablo (if you farm 4-4 instead of 3-7)

Just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 02:14 AMPosted by Orochi
Even you use HA instead of EF you should not get stuck in corner

with HA yea wont get stuck, but EF Gets me stuck in the corner at times in the first place, and then mobs surround me instantly so i cant smokescreen out either lol.

I agree with you sometimes you fires too instantly with EF that you cannot control the direction of backflip
Reply Quote
If EF's backflip could be toggled on or off at a whim, it would be the strongest hatred generator in our arsenal.
Reply Quote
lol yea i really really wish EF didnt have the backflip... or rather if only the backflip doesnt cost disc. freaking hate it if backflip uses up the disc i need to cast smoke or gloom n i die as a result.

as for backflip vs fast affix.. not as bad if u use TA.. after 1 backflip u can run away and gain a reasonable distance .. instead of just continuing to spam EF n getting backflipped infintely till u run out of disc.
Reply Quote
I go solo with EF coupled with that stop Caltrop and Tactical Advantage and Cluster Bomb AND Scatter, feels pretty much like a King of the Hallway. If you pay just a little more attention and stay calm, the back flip should not post as a disadvantage.

However, If I'm in group play I prefer SoT since I can just close my eyes and kite at miles away.

lol edited obvious grammatical error
Edited by Drifter#6279 on 7/14/2012 8:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]