Diablo® III

What if "campiness" was a choice?

Just a random thought...

Okay, we all agree that the villains in this game are quite campy. And many people liked the silent lurking villains of the previous games.

Now, it's too late for this idea, but what if the "campiness" was an achievement? What if you had to beat hell difficulty to turn on "B movie mode" or "Diablo Science Theater 3000" or whatever you want to call it...?

Think about it. We'd get to play through once, and the villains would seem a little bit scarier at least. Also they'd be quiet and not interrupt everything. Then you could CHOOSE to turn this on (and get a little bit more lore, albeit quite ridiculous) and have what we have now. If this were the case from the beginning I'd bet players would be cheering about the "hilarious 'Sunday morning cartoon' mode."

Why? Because it would be a choice. And if it was meant to be funny, well it would be! I mean come on guys, "Tear-or" is funny. "You'll never break my catapults... oh wait... well you'll never kill my army, it will crush you.. oh wait... well you can't kill me at least..." Yeah, that stuff is funny. It's just not billed as such and it's dissapointing. It's all a matter of perspective really! But the perspective we are given is that it's serious, so we are all left looking at it like "WTF, mate?"

To truly make this work, Magdha would need two different models and attack sets. The good news is that would be easy since she's not actually in any of the nicely done cinematics. She could kill Cain with fire or lightning or ANYTHING but butterflies. Then we'd all go LOL when the "campy" version used butterflies.

Would it really have been so hard to make this an option from the beginning? And is there anyone out there who wouldn't find it funny if it was SUPPOSED to be funny?
Reply Quote
Anyone? (Bumping per status quo...)
Reply Quote
You're saying they should have made a real story, and made the camp optional.

That implies that the plot of the game (in its current state) is a self-parody.

Fair enough.
Reply Quote
Good idea, could even be implemented now.
Reply Quote
Presentation was the story's real problem, and it could be fixed with dialogue and little else. Belial could be actually deceitful, Azmodan could be a tactical genius who fell victim to his own overconfidence and Diablo could be a shadowy terror whispering horrors into your ear from the darkness. Visually, I'd darken the lighting in the Gardens of Hope and the Great Span to what we see when we open a portal to a hell rift. Additionally, the bombardment of Caldeum and the fight with Belial takes place during the dead of night, while the victory lap after Belial's defeat takes place at the break of dawn. Less sunshine, more rain and fog for Act I. I don't think I'd change any models except for Magda (the whole moth-witch thing might work for her if she's made....grotesque) and Diablo (though it is an old bandwagon to be on, I too dislike 'Sheablo' and would prefer something much more in line with the D2 Diablo).

Completely doable in 2 or 3 patches. Now we just gotta convince it's worth their time to implement it.

Also, rather than what OP proposed, I would have it campy until the end of Hell. Once you get into Inferno, then everything becomes serious business. After all, you haven't even begun to play Diablo 3 until you've started Inferno.
Reply Quote

Now, it's too late for this idea, but what if the "campiness" was an achievement? What if you had to beat hell difficulty to turn on "B movie mode" or "Diablo Science Theater 3000" or whatever you want to call it...?

I'd actually love to see someone MST3King the Diablo 3 story. You could have Crow and Servo debating Sheablo's gender, just like they do at the end of the "Mr. B Natural" short.
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
The only problem I'd see with this is that the story, dialogue and voice acting are bad, without being self aware enough or awkward enough to be humorously campy. So you'd need a camp story and a good story... I don't know what you'd do with the current mess.
Reply Quote
You can turn off the voices in the options. Problem solved; no more taunts and dialogues.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 7/21/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I too dislike 'Sheablo' and would prefer something much more in line with the D2 Diablo.

I wish they'd have just never referred to the last boss in this as Diablo. They should have just always called him the Prime Evil, or Tathamet, then so many people might not get confused as to why Diablo has changed so much from the second game.

It's not Diablo, it's an amalgamation of all seven Lords of Hell under Diablo's control. If it looked the same it would make no sense.

And no, his skinny appearance isn't to do with Leah. It's Andariel, Mephisto, Belial and Baal that cause that, I'm sure.
Reply Quote
07/22/2012 03:50 AMPosted by Creature
I wish they'd have just never referred to the last boss in this as Diablo.

If Diablo wasn't in this game, people would be asking "where's Diablo?"

The rest of the plot is an excuse to have you fight Diablo, even though it made no sense.

And no, his skinny appearance isn't to do with Leah. It's Andariel, Mephisto, Belial and Baal that cause that, I'm sure.

No, it's all Leah. The !@#$, the hourglass figure, the wide childbearing hips, the effeminate walk, the talking too much. Diablo is obviously a girl in this game.
Reply Quote
07/22/2012 09:53 AMPosted by LittleDisco
No, it's all Leah. The !@#$, the hourglass figure, the wide childbearing hips, the effeminate walk, the talking too much. Diablo is obviously a girl in this game.

Literally the only female parts of the Prime Evil are the thighs and legs, the structure of which are almost identical to Andariel's, unless you count the chitinous-looking breast plates. The midsection is much more like Mephisto's.

The stupid over-chattiness is probably from Azmodan, to be honest.

I'm almost certain it's not Leah. The Evils contort their hosts to match their true hellish forms, independent of what they look like. The strength / powers of the individual might have some impact on how fast this change can take place, though.

If the Prime Evil had been a harder fight, using powers from ALL of the other Evils, I think it would have been much more satisfying / cool.
Reply Quote
if this was a choice they made the wrong one.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Rogue
Having a non-camp button would be like turning Buffy the Vampire Slayer series into Twilight.

The former, is intentionally high-camp and latter is not intentionally camp.
Reply Quote
I too dislike 'Sheablo' and would prefer something much more in line with the D2 Diablo.

I wish they'd have just never referred to the last boss in this as Diablo. They should have just always called him the Prime Evil, or Tathamet, then so many people might not get confused as to why Diablo has changed so much from the second game.

It's not Diablo, it's an amalgamation of all seven Lords of Hell under Diablo's control. If it looked the same it would make no sense.

True, but there's deeper problems than that. What we see just doesn't give off any 'Cthulu-esque eldritch abomination' or 'ULTIMATE COSMIC POOOOWWWWEEEERRRRRR!' vibes that one would expect from a being of such godly power. I personally would've preferred to see a lot more of Azmodan and Duriel in that creature.

As for the real reason it isn't called Tathamet.....a fully restored Tathamet might be the final boss of Act V.
Reply Quote
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who saw a lot of things coming in the story line. I had Adria's betrayal pegged as soon as she showed up. Same thing with the emperor being Belial, the fact the he was able to communicate with me was the confirmation. Honestly, i expected the lord of lies to be more sneaky. I also think the fight could have been better done, I think have ing adds on that fight would be ideal, with only brief moments where you could actually hit him. Also, maybe throw in a good switcharoo in the fight like have him use a mirror image type ability. That would be much more "Lord of lies" than how the fight ran, which was a dodge the bad on the floor that would frustrate a top end raider in WOW.
Reply Quote
07/31/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Wurg
I personally would've preferred to see a lot more of Azmodan and Duriel in that creature.

There was plenty of Azmodan. She was talking to you the whole time. Just like Azmodan.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]