Diablo® III

Monster count in Diablo 3

I am playing the Ancient waterway in act 2 right now and it occured to me that I was mostly just walking around. If I encountered more than 10 monsters per passage, then that is a lot.

If you compare that area to, for instance, the maggot lair in Diablo 2, you can see why some parts of D3 are so boring. If you entered the maggot lair, you knew you were going to be knee deep in flies, maggots and those pesky bugs. Diablo 3 hardly has any monsters at all. The largest killing spree I have had so far is 80 creatures on the bridge in act 3. Most encounters don't even go further than 20 or 30 kills. Is that what Blizzard calls the Hordes of Hell? This game needs more monsters and fast, because all this walking around is starting to get boring really fast.
Edited by Fluzing#1329 on 7/18/2012 4:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Diablo 2 gave us HUNDREDS of monster to murder.

act 2 tombs? millions of them skellies on screen.
desert? maggots, flies everywhere.
jungle? SO MANY FETISHES TO SMASH. GLORIOUS.
hell? wave after wave of balrogs and hell knights.

Diablo 3?

3 tiny elite spiders with 6,000,000 hit points you kite for 15 minutes.

EDIT: Blame WoW for this, Blizzard thought that WoW was a success so Diablo should be a WoW copy/pasta. Even the items are exactly the same, boring pieces of crap as in WoW.

If people wanted WoW, they'd play WoW.
Edited by Ctulhu#1119 on 7/18/2012 3:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yah... Don't you guys get it? It's a hack-n-slash
Jay Wilson style! You get to hack n slash at one mob for days!
Keeps the game from being confusing with 'multiple mobs'
Aren't you thankful?!
Reply Quote
Obviously the lack of things to kill in this game, and absolute boredom cause of it, is a less important issue than "MF gear swapping"....
Reply Quote
07/18/2012 03:35 AMPosted by Vortexz
Could be also possible because everything is on server side. Each system have their limits.

What?

edit: I dont get it.
Edited by Ctulhu#1119 on 7/18/2012 3:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Very old game that can only manage ~200 sprites max at same time on PC.

Maybe servers have the same kind of limit.

Server sending data > latency > Player move > Latency > server processing data > latency > player display data > ....

Maybe it's the reason to keep the game smooth they limit monsters at same time. As server process multiple player at same time.

Good thinking, but I think with the hugely reduced number of players the servers could easily handle more monsters in the game.

To be honest, i think the boring number of things to kill is actually a terrible design decision, not a server-side issue.

Blizz wanted to make Diablo more WoW-like, few things to kill, but with millions of hit points.

Watching paint dry is more fun than that.
Reply Quote
07/18/2012 03:44 AMPosted by Vortexz
Maybe servers have the same kind of limit.

I would have accepted that excuse in 1999. If Diablo 2 could do it in 2000, then sure as hell they should be able to pull of masses of monsters in 2012.
Reply Quote
That was one of the most awesome things about the cow level don't you think, with HUNDREDS of cows on your screen it was the perfect place to aoe spam (not to mention the memorable mooing).

The pony level is no comparison..
Reply Quote
And people wonder why are they so freakin' bored with D3.

Compared to the action of D2, where 8 people groups were brutally murdering hundreds of mobs in 5 seconds, we not get 3 elite monsters with unreasonable amount of HP that take 15 minutes to kill (WoW HELLO).

ITS AS BORING AS WATCHING GRASS GROW.
Edited by Ctulhu#1119 on 7/18/2012 4:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Less monster = less farming potential = less items = more RMAH!
Reply Quote
07/18/2012 03:35 AMPosted by Vortexz
Could be also possible because everything is on server side. Each system have their limits.

Yea thats probobly accurate.
Reply Quote
07/18/2012 04:23 AMPosted by Pshemo

It's probobly not.

It's 2012, not 1999.
Reply Quote
Ya my initial complaint when I was playing the game at launch was the Mob Count.

I told myself it would get better as I progress. Honestly far too often I find myself running looking for stuff to kill, or running away from stuff that one shot me when I first got to Inferno......

Kinda lame imo.
Reply Quote

It's probobly not.

It's 2012, not 1999.

Since you appear to be oblivious to this fact, I'll share with you some insightful information that you will find to be of intrinsic value to your current dilemma

It takes more processing power to render a 3D object than a 2D object, similar to how it takes more cerebral processing power than you currently seem to possess in order to fully grasp this concept.

Edit: BTW, spawn more often... people are sick of searching for you.
Edited by Plaguemire#1699 on 7/18/2012 4:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It takes more processing power to render a 3D object than a 2D object

NO !@#$ Sherlock?!

I'll say again, its 2012, not 1999.

It's not Frostbite 2 engine, PC's in 2012 can handle Diablo 3 with a few more skeletons on screen.

similar to how it takes more cerebral processing power than you currently seem to possess in order to fully grasp this concept.

Was that supposed to be amusing/insulting?

If so, you failed.
Reply Quote
07/18/2012 04:40 AMPosted by Ctulhu
t's not Frostbite 2 engine, PC's in 2012 can handle Diablo 3 with a few more skeletons on screen.

No they can't.
Reply Quote
We dumbed the game down.. AND THEN WE DOUBLED IT!

Aren't you thankful?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]