Diablo® III

Password Reset every damned time

87 Night Elf Druid
Is this system this retarded that it can't grasp a simple move?

I've just had to reset my password...this is the fourth time now. I made a simple move from home to a friend's place, and I'll be doing that several times a week.

How many times do I have to go jump through password hoops just to play this !@#$?

And I paid for this?

I'm physically in this one spot now, and resetting passwords..oh wait, now it's saying i don't exist.

This is why I save receipts.
Reply Quote
I've got the same problem, would love to find a solution.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Druid
New game, just installed, keeps telling me problems with password, keep going to web page to change password, e-mail link to make new one. Same problem when I try to use new password. Now I can't even log into warcraft, maybe a good thing, should quit playing it anyway.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
This system is put in place to protect you from people trying to log in from other locations. It detects a change in your access pattern (there are several factors including IP) and will lock the account and send an email. To get back in you need to reset your password using your secret question. This is working as intended. The system SHOULD learn your usual login patterns and accommodate them. For example I can log in from home and work and have no issues once it learned my patterns.

Why would it happen to you?

1. You logged in from a new location (the obvious answer)
2. You are using software that changes your IP. People do this to lower thier ping and latency but it can trigger the lockout system.
3. You are playing somewhere with a very dynamic IP
4. A hacker is trying to get into your account but does not have access to your email/secret question so can't get in.
5. You logged in from a different PC

It really should learn your patterns and settle down. If you do not remember your secret question then you will have to call when lines are open.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
Blindingly not helpful.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Sorrow ,

Your account has been connecting from the same location for months and then in the last day, from two different locations using different ISPs. The system is working as intended and you can not disable it. It's there for your security. If you intend to use these new locations off and on, over time the system will learn the patterns and stop prompting for the code, but that's going to take a while and require a lot of connections from the new locations.
Reply Quote
how can i fix this? always ask me to reset my password, im from philippines and moved to canada, but the system is always making my account locked up, need help pls...
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
As the Blue post says - you can't really fix it. This is working as intended and will take time to learn your new pattern. There are a few things you MIGHT want to do though.

1. Formally change the address on your account so that your new IP matches your registered location. This is something you should be doing anyway if you have moved. Follow this process http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-country-change

2. Consider getting an Authenticator on your account (Keychain or Mobile Device). Some players report that the system is a bit less sensitive or learns faster when they have one. That may just be wishful thinking, but it does not hurt anything. (Note that SMS Protect is not an Authenticator)

3. Do you use the RMAH? If so then you also want to become familiar with the Regional Restrictions. If you use it from a country that does not match your registered address you get banned.
Reply Quote
Hey !

I haven't mooved anywhere and i haven't changed my computer. Yet my account gets locked every day for the last 4 days even tho i've always used the same provider and besides the fact that usually reset my modem a lot. Does the auth server have problem recognizing a patern of dynamical IP adresses from same provider atm ?
I also have mobile device atached to my account so every time it gets locked i recive an SMS msg with is also charging my bill !
Edited by BIGDOG4#2970 on 9/17/2012 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Dwarf Death Knight
Well, when i got back into wow for MoP it told me to reset my password..didnt have a problem with StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3, but as soon as i signed back up for WoW all hell broke loose...I have had to reset my password every day for the last week now, and today i have had to reset it 2 times. I just came over to a friends house (and had already reset my password while i was here) and it just told me to recover it again. I want an answer, I shouldnt have to do this to play the game i paid my hard-earned money for.
Reply Quote
just get an authenticator.

assuming you have neither android phone nor ios phone

you can even use winauth or an android emulator on the different computer (safer practice) or on the same computer if you must.

just google for it
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
Just be aware, that Blizzard does NOT support the use of Authenticator apps that run on a PC as they are far more prone to compromise. Yes, putting it on a different PC is better than nothing, but still not recommended. They only support the use of the Mobile app and the keychain.
Reply Quote
I tried the secondary in-game option (just the security question, no web site/email confirmation) and that worked. The primary option is just broken. I seriously doubt Blizzard considers that "working as intended".

-JJ

EDIT: Thanks for the responses in both threads! Greatly appreciated.
Edited by JimmyJames#1632 on 3/24/2013 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/24/2013 04:04 AMPosted by MissCheetah
Just be aware, that Blizzard does NOT support the use of Authenticator apps that run on a PC as they are far more prone to compromise. Yes, putting it on a different PC is better than nothing, but still not recommended. They only support the use of the Mobile app and the keychain.

in this situation, it is a better than nothing situation, since he doesn't want to get a smart phone (its 2013 already sir..)

having a pc authenticator is safer than no authenticator at all. since it acts as 1 more layer of security to deliberately bypass that automated keylogger installations that steal passwords don't account for
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 3/24/2013 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]