Diablo® III

Follow-Up Points

(Locked)

1) You said you're inherently okay with players stacking certain stats over others. If this is the case, why did you nerf IAS?

One of the biggest issues we discovered with IAS was that it actively limited build diversity. While IAS was pretty strong on its own, when coupled with certain gear and skill combinations, it simply became too alluring for a lot of players to ignore. So, instead of seeing an increase in gear and skill diversity over time, what we actually saw was more and more players shifting to IAS-focused builds almost exclusively. On a scale large, it was crippling experimentation and skill diversity.

A lot of players think we reduced the value of IAS because it made characters too powerful. While that's not a totally unreasonable conclusion to jump to, it's definitely not true. We don't think "doing a lot of damage" or "doing too much damage" is enough reason for us to nerf something outright. IAS was an outlier -- it's not that it made characters too powerful, but rather that it caused a few builds to become vastly superior to others. On top of that, it introduced a ton of bugs just due to how fast characters were attacking when stacked to its upper limits.

The initial iteration of IAS was flawed in many ways. So, in effort to promote skill diversity and remove several game-impacting bugs from the environment, we reduced the value overall. We're fairly happy with where IAS is right now, as well as skill diversity in general (though we're going to need to do some additional skill balancing to bring it up to where we want).

2) So, when are you going to nerf Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage affixes?

We've no plans to nerf +Crit Chance or +Crit Damage. While +Crit Chance and +Crit Damage are very strong right now, there's nothing inherently wrong with something being strong. As mentioned above, players doing too much damage is not enough reason for us to bring out the nerf bat. Neither affix is having a negative impact on build diversity (we're seeing a pretty good balance overall), and there aren't any technical issues with them being stacked to higher values. It's something we're keeping an eye on of course.

1. I disagree with you when you say IAS decreased build diversity. I play a monk and I felt like I could use any skill instead of just fists of thunder when I had a lot of IAS. The other attacks are dreadfully slow unless you have a 1.5 speed weapon or better and let's face it, it's no fun to find a nice hammer and say "meh, it's too slow to use".

2. I also disagree with this statement. Again, as a monk I feel pigeonholed into using crit. I also feel like I have to use sweeping wind with the cyclone rune because it's a factor of x better than any other dps ability. Then to increase the number of crits I feel pigeonholed into fists of thunder AGAIN to maximize the amount of crits I can get in a short period of time. Of course, as a monk it's nearly required to have breath of heaven and the invulnerability talents. Not to mention it would be terrible not to have a mantra (usually evasion if you don't have gear and conviction if you do have gear). That means I have a whole ONE slot that I can be creative with, woohoo!

But seriously, the other classes may have the problems you stated in these paragraphs, but I feel monks are the exact opposite.
Yah I'm going to have to totally disagree with IAS decreasing build diversity..if anything it made it more diverse because you didn't need much items with IAS to have viable skills and now you do.

Just come out and say it was overpowered, it's ok. Did it deserve a 50% reduction? Probably not..25% would have been just fine but whatever, I'll now stack my crits, glad you don't think they're OP because a lot do now - have a nice day. No really Lyrilla thank you for your follow up!
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/11/2012 3:38 PM PDT
With IAS nerf i could no longer use anything but one spirit generator as all others feel inferior in terms of sustainability / damage. Which i'm sure will somehow translate to another nerf.
07/10/2012 05:53 PMPosted by Ave
Please address more issues like getting lvl 60+ gear on inferno mode as its pretty much stupid to have lvl 50 gear drop at "end game" content.

Please lets not make this game any more linear/MMO-like than it already is
It encourages us to leave the game and make a new one, hoping for a better chance at an easier mob. That's not fun any way you look at it...

I couldn't have said it any better...

I intentionally use Spirit Walk (Witch Doctor) to bypass any champ groups with Waller, Jailer, Vortex in combination...I can handle Waller with maybe Jailer, but Vortex just makes it incredibly annoying since you are being pulled in, only to run into a wall when you take five steps. There should be ONE (maybe two) ways to pull or stop a player. Not this many...
90 Undead Mage
time for some humor...

strong CC: (limit one)

only spawns when chasing a goblin
no item drops
disconnect
knockback
vortex
nighmarish

defensive (limit one)

lag spike
AH down
no gold drops
avenger
extra health
health link
horde
illusionist
missle dampening
invulnerable minions
shielding
vampiric

agressive (no limit)

Forums down
server reboot
unscheduled maintenance
extended maintenance
nerfbat for your class via hotfix
invulnerable minions not despawning with boss
unsellable item drops only
arcane enchanted
desecrater
electrified
fast
fire chains frozen
jailor
molten
mortar
plagued
reflects damage
teleporter
waller
I would break up the Aggressive category:

Weak CC (Limit 1):
Jailer
Waller
Frozen

Environmental (Limit 2):
Molten
Plagued
Electrified
Arcane Enchanted
Desecrator

Movement (Limit 1):
Teleporter
Fast

Aggressive (No Limit):
Fire Chains
Mortar
Reflects Damage

I would also restrict the Environmental category to 1 when fighting in tight spaces. For example: fighting a Molten Plagued Arcane Enchanted Vortex Teleporter Jailer Waller in something like the Scavenger Den is just not fun. It's not about skill at that point, it's just a gear check.

I've had some really really fun and challenging fights with Elites and I commend Blizzard for making a combat system in which that can occur, but yes, I've also had some really annoying fights. Finding that perfect balance is indeed an art form and Blizzard does have it in there somewhere, it just gets covered up some of the time.

Saying that you want to promote skill diversity kind of implies you want to also promote general skill at playing and yet there are numerous occasions where the only skill involved is luring the Elite mob to the entrance so you can spam dps on them, die, respawn and do the same thing over a couple times (hopefully killing them before your respawn timer gets too long) because there is no way that you are going to kill them any other way. In my above affix example, say you have a character build that depends on maneuverability. Well...there's no way you're going anywhere with that one in any closed environment so guess what? You die because your build is not supported.

I can handle Molten Plagued Jailer Vortex in a cave. It's difficult for sure, but able to be overcome through skill, not exploiting the death system. Throw on Arcane Enchanted Waller Desecrator though? Game over. Head to entrance, do damage, die, rinse, repeat. That is not fun.
I have a suggestion for Elit pack affixes.
Grade the affix according to how difficult it is to deal with.
When you kill harder affix pack such as motar. molten invul. etc (ex. u guarantee a 2-3 rare drops compare to just 1 after 5 NV stacked)
You get better drops then killing easy one.

And this will apply to group play as well..
ppl don't play co op in act 3/4 cuz it's just too difficult and takes forever to kill elit in 4ppl group.
If u can't nerf co op play for act 3/4 at least make it worth the while for ppl to play .
make drops 2x or 3x as good cuz it is that much more difficult to play in 4ppl game than solo.
Oh and I also think there should be a cap on monster movement speed. Fast on a zombie, perfectly fine. Fast on a scavenger or soul ripper? Not so much.
85 Undead Mage
Problems with game = Botters, End Game challenges

People complaining about elite affixes just suck and give up too easily. There's a strategy for every combo
i dont geht the ias reasoning either. i mean, everyone could get attack speed, its not like that you cant have all resist or crit dmg or whatever if you have attack speed items. i also didnt prevent build diversity what are the blues talking about here? attack speed was fun, attacking super fast is fun but accourding to bliz if something its fun it will permanetly removed from the game ..
How Frozen, Waller and Jailor don't find themselves under CC, I have no idea.

Well, I do have an idea, but it disappoints me to think that the design team is that clueless.

3) Why aren't monster affix combinations restricted in some way?

Here are the categories:

"Strong CC" (Limit 1):
  • Knockback
  • Nightmarish
  • Vortex

"Defensive" (Limit 1):
  • Avenger
  • Extra Health
  • Health Link
  • Horde
  • Illusionist
  • Missile Dampening
  • Invulnerable Minions
  • Shielding
  • Vampiric

"Aggressive" (No Limit):
  • ArcaneEnchanted
  • Desecrator
  • Electrified
  • Fast
  • Fire Chains
  • Frozen
  • Jailer
  • Molten
  • Mortar
  • Plagued
  • Reflects Damage
  • Teleporter
  • Waller

That is mostly how I would have thought it should be. The only exceptions I see are that Jailer is most definitely `strong CC' and Waller is most definitely `Defensive'. Those two changes would solve half the problems I have with Elites.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Here are the categories:

"Aggressive" (No Limit):
  • ArcaneEnchanted
  • Desecrator
  • Electrified
  • Fast
  • Fire Chains
  • Frozen
  • Jailer
  • Molten
  • Mortar
  • Plagued
  • Reflects Damage
  • Teleporter
  • Waller

[

Frozen/Jailer/Waller, while I agree can be viewed as "aggressive," are most definitely some form of CC. Frozen and Waller is CC that can be avoided, sure - but Jailer is a loss of control of my character that can not be avoided plain and simple.

CC (Crowd Control): "abilities that influence or prevent the abilities or actions of other character(s)"

I suppose you are getting around that by having a "Strong CC" category instead of a more generic "CC." However, this is a GAME and the random affix combinations can be a little over the top making the GAME not fun...
Edited by Azurrei#1955 on 7/11/2012 4:16 PM PDT
This is rediculous , this touches on none of the major concerns i see screamed daily, outside of elite affixes. Even than , im sorry , but CC - crowd control, includes a few of those others as well.

Heres one off the top of the head.

Q : When are you going to address the drop rate issues for people who will not use an AH as part of there gameplay? Or , does Blizzard believe its completely fair for those individuals, based on the way the drop rates are lower than previous ARPG's, due to accounting for the AH's? This also includes people who only play private single player games , and as well will not use the AH's. This is of no concern to you, that they will most likely not ever see the end of the game (Inferno) unless they click happily away for ten+ years? Isnt the random just a little too much when you constantly get barbarian only belts with intell and dex?

ugh.

so lame.

Did you not read the AMA? They did not take into account the AH when creating drop rates. As they did not have an auction house in the internal tests.
2) So, when are you going to nerf Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage affixes?

We've no plans to nerf +Crit Chance or +Crit Damage. While +Crit Chance and +Crit Damage are very strong right now, there's nothing inherently wrong with something being strong. As mentioned above, players doing too much damage is not enough reason for us to bring out the nerf bat. Neither affix is having a negative impact on build diversity (we're seeing a pretty good balance overall), and there aren't any technical issues with them being stacked to higher values. It's something we're keeping an eye on of course.

So you acknowledge that there aren't any problems with these stats, BUT you will keep an eye on them just in case of... what? When you feel like you want to nerf them because people are having fun stacking them instead of other stuff because a large portion of your player base ends up preferring to be damage dealers instead of other stuff like Tanks?

"Oh, oh I'm sory, a large portion of our player base liked dealing damage and killing stuff so we decided to nerf damage output to stop a sizeable portion of our player base from having fun."

"Should our player base find something ELSE to have fun with (Yes, we're watching you, yes, YOU.) then we will also nerf it because quite frankly, having a player base that largely enjoys stuff just isn't what we want."
Edited by SirSteel#1419 on 7/11/2012 4:27 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]