Diablo® III

Follow-Up Points

(Locked)

100 Undead Death Knight
onster affixes are actually grouped into categories and then restricted based on those categories (to a degree). Our restrictions aren't as tight as some players have suggested, but in the end we found that adding extra limitations often made Elite pack encounters very predictable and repetitive, which kind of went against our design goal for these types of monsters.

We know that not all players will see eye-to-eye with us on how these categories are organized, and we expect some criticism and disagreement, especially from such a passionate group of gamers. While we're happy with where affix combos are right now, we're open to feedback and especially constructive discussion. :)

Here are the categories:

"Strong CC" (Limit 1):
Knockback
Nightmarish
Vortex

"Defensive" (Limit 1):
Avenger
Extra Health
Health Link
Horde
Illusionist
Missile Dampening
Invulnerable Minions
Shielding
Vampiric

"Aggressive" (No Limit):
ArcaneEnchanted
Desecrator
Electrified
Fast
Fire Chains
Frozen
Jailer
Molten
Mortar
Plagued
Reflects Damage
Teleporter
Waller

Curious about some things. First off I'm not sure about your categories. I am pretty sure I've seen some packs with 2 of those abilities from the limit one categories. I'm sure there is more possibilities to this than you are saying as from the 1.0.3 patch notes you removed the ability for the morlu packs to spawn with certain affixes. So was this category system just a guide you all use?

Can you also figure out a way to add in a packs default affixes? And adjust for that. For example: ghosts have a natural knockback, lots of things are fast as champions naturally without the affix, and lots of stuff have weaker abilities. I'm not saying they should have less total affixes, but if you don't think knockback and nightmarish should go together - then why let something that has natural knockback also be nightmarish.

One thing you don't list is something with a ranged/nightmarish/fast combination. I've actually seen that combo bug out my game. I'm not sure if fast even makes them shoot faster, but either way they shot arrows so fast it repeatedly feared me and my follower until the follower became non-responsive. Would not follow, fight, or anything. Had to dismiss and rehire to get it working again. I actually won that fight, but if a pack like that can mess up the games AI, what do you think it does to player frustration?

Also, again. Why do you not consider jailor, waller, and frozen strong CC? Waller isn't bad all the time, but when a champion pack is spaming it or a rare is doing the box thing its absolutely a CC move. Jailor is nothing but CC. And while frozen does damage, its not the damage I am worrying about as I am running away from the orbs. Its getting frozen. Personally I think they are "strong CC".

BTW... thanks for the informative post.
2 suggestions

1. Make health potions and/or globes heal a certain % of your total life so instead of 12500hp... say 10% or 20% of your life. In this way the healing can scale with your total health, because when you start to get over 50k health both pots and globes can be pretty weak.
* I know there are stats with +globe health.. these could be +1%, +2% and so forth.
* By making the pots a low percentage, like 10%, they won't be overpowering, but having them scale with the character will make them more useful.

2. Make co-op more attractive by removing the death repair penalty if you are revived in a certain time frame by a party member. This would be a very nice feature to promote party play.

thanks
"3) Allow users to buy multiple health potions with one click.

Also a cool idea! We're looking into it. "

Is this really what D3 developers consider a cool idea? Really? Out of all the feedback on the forum this is a cool idea? Being able to buy multiple potions sounds like truly groundbreaking design and functionality...
Here is another idea you should look over. Disable the Aggro on Ranged classes. I'm tired of every single enemy going around or bypassing the followers just to kill me. Or is this mandatory for every single game I get do just this to me. Me of all people. And it doesn't matter what game it is.
I don't really understand why the devs talk about being able to experiment with skills and try out new combinations.

In Inferno you can't. Each class has very few builds that work in Inferno.
For Wizards: You're either a Melee wizard variant or a Blizz/Hydra variant. There is barely any diversity/variety.

Most of the skill runes are flat out useless.

Example: Disintegrate works fine pre-Inferno. In Inferno it's useless.

Same goes with Arcane Torrent.

The skills that are actually useful in Inferno only have 1 or 2 runes that are useful in Inferno. These runes simply outshine the others, the other runes need to be changed.

Example: Energy Armor

All armor skills are useless besides Energy Armor. Energy armor has only 2 useful runes, Force Armor or Prismatic Armor.

Ice and Storm armors are horribly useless. Ice Armor was only useful for Royal Crypt farming.

I loved hearing about the skill combinations before D3 was out. I thought it would be a better version of Guild Wars' skill system, that all skills in D3 would be useful but they are not in the slightest. I know with the current skills system I could make a gajillion different builds, but in reality only a few of them would be fun and work.

D3 was so fun before I hit Inferno mode, I could actually experiment with skills.

I am really hoping that the "class-balancing" patch will actually make skills viable, and more importantly, FUN. I barely play D3 anymore, I login, look at my characters then Alt+f4. Make D3 fun again!
Why can't we dislike blue posts?

Suggestions:

1) Allow to gems to stack up to 100.

Totally reasonable request. We're looking into it!

(We originally set the stack size to 30 so it would fit in with the other "3" gem values. Now that it only requires 2 gems to combine into the next tier and the pattern has been broken, we've no issue increasing the base stack size. Good suggestion.)

It only requires 2 gems to combine into the next tier? Is this a change that is coming or is that just a mistake?
5) Add an option to block follower conversations.

Understandable annoyance, but no plans at this time to add in an option. Still good feedback!

Honest question:

If you know this game would last for months or even years why the developers never think of this?
07/11/2012 08:28 PMPosted by MarcosRunsIt
Why can't we dislike blue posts?

Because in Soviet Russia... blue posts dislike you.

One of the biggest issues we discovered with IAS was that it actively limited build diversity. While IAS was pretty strong on its own, when coupled with certain gear and skill combinations, it simply became too alluring for a lot of players to ignore.

Will you be nerfing primary stat as well?
I don't really understand why the devs talk about being able to experiment with skills and try out new combinations.

In Inferno you can't. Each class has very few builds that work in Inferno.
For Wizards: You're either a Melee wizard variant or a Blizz/Hydra variant. There is barely any diversity/variety.

Most of the skill runes are flat out useless.

Example: Disintegrate works fine pre-Inferno. In Inferno it's useless.

Same goes with Arcane Torrent.

The skills that are actually useful in Inferno only have 1 or 2 runes that are useful in Inferno. These runes simply outshine the others, the other runes need to be changed.

Example: Energy Armor

All armor skills are useless besides Energy Armor. Energy armor has only 2 useful runes, Force Armor or Prismatic Armor.

Ice and Storm armors are horribly useless. Ice Armor was only useful for Royal Crypt farming.

I loved hearing about the skill combinations before D3 was out. I thought it would be a better version of Guild Wars' skill system, that all skills in D3 would be useful but they are not in the slightest. I know with the current skills system I could make a gajillion different builds, but in reality only a few of them would be fun and work.

D3 was so fun before I hit Inferno mode, I could actually experiment with skills.

I am really hoping that the "class-balancing" patch will actually make skills viable, and more importantly, FUN. I barely play D3 anymore, I login, look at my characters then Alt+f4. Make D3 fun again!

^
What about those hidden affixes that monsters seem to get when they become an elite? Like Demonic Tremors and Soul Lashers? They become blazing fast without the "Fast" modifier, which is absurd and kind of unfair since they 1 hit everything on sight.
MVP
View profile
I have addressed my concerns with the monster affix system in more detail here.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6080198689

I would have included it into this post but I needed 2 spots.
i don't know why people always hate the messanger but i for one love the game, can not wait for pvp, and really am greatful for the great job you and the others did when making this game.

p.s. anything new reagarding pvp?
Thanks for the information ... Nice to know some stats will not be nerfs just for the sake of nerfing.
I just LOVE how Blizzard feels that they like where monster affixes are right now, but I cannot find a SINGLE player that does.

Way to listen to your fans, guys. Way to go.

On the subject of general feedback and questions...

Please, add a check box that allows us to eliminate gems from searches. So, let's say I am searching for bonus crit damage AND a socket. What you'll get is a weapon that has a socket with an emerald gem stuck in it.

Allow us to search for items that DO NOT have a gem socketed into the item when it was placed up for sale. Same goes for searching for STR gear, or VIT gear.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]