Diablo® III

Follow-Up Points

(Locked)

07/10/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
One of the biggest issues we discovered with IAS was that it actively limited build diversity.

SAYS WHO? No matter what class, adding IAS was fun and worked.
"Strong CC" (Limit 1):
Knockback
Nightmarish
Vortex

"Defensive" (Limit 1):
Avenger
Extra Health
Health Link
Horde
Illusionist
Missile Dampening
Invulnerable Minions
Shielding
Vampiric

"Aggressive" (No Limit):
ArcaneEnchanted
Desecrator
Electrified
Fast
Fire Chains
Frozen
Jailer
Molten
Mortar
Plagued
Reflects Damage
Teleporter
Waller

Why is Jailer not under CC?
Why is Waller not under defensive?
Why is Teleporter not under defensive?

Let me put some scenerio.

Melee facing Jailer + Waller + Desecrator + Frozen Fleeing mobs. It is very likely to enrage.
Range facing Waller + Frozen + Arcane Enchanted + Jailer. Almost impossible to kill.

Im saying this as a perspective of a Grenade Demon Hunter. Even though I have cleared inferno content. These makes replaying of the game tiresome.

NO attacks can be casted over the Waller's Wall. Including Grenades. Logically imagine you're trying to throw something over a wall at waist level but you cant do it. Looks totally retard.
Imagine you can see the monster because the wall is at waist level but you cant cast Acid Cloud over their heads.

Frozen should not have different exploding timers. Even as demon hunter I can smokescreen enough to run away maybe 3-4 times. chain feezing is insane.

What kinda freakin Grenades that can pass through monsters but can't be thrown over a tiny wall?!

I do remember of a interview featuring the game designers mentioning that are about 3billion builds for this game? and they are VIABLE for all modes like inferno? Seriously each class has less then 10 real viable builds.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yah...there is something wrong with the Waller mechanic in general. It's not even borderline realistic, and it's extremely cheesy...especially when paired with either Jailer, Frozen or Desecrator...or god forbid, 2 of those 3. *shudder*

A Witch Doctor should be able to land an Acid Cloud over a wall. They can Rain of Toads over it, but can't Acid Cloud?? Do both attacks NOT come from the sky? Terrible...needs fixing...do it Blizz. Now.
3) Why aren't monster affix combinations restricted in some way?

Monster affixes are actually grouped into categories and then restricted based on those categories (to a degree). Our restrictions aren't as tight as some players have suggested, but in the end we found that adding extra limitations often made Elite pack encounters very predictable and repetitive, which kind of went against our design goal for these types of monsters.

We know that not all players will see eye-to-eye with us on how these categories are organized, and we expect some criticism and disagreement, especially from such a passionate group of gamers. While we're happy with where affix combos are right now, we're open to feedback and especially constructive discussion. :)

Here are the categories:

"Strong CC" (Limit 1):

Knockback
Nightmarish
Vortex

"Defensive" (Limit 1):

Avenger
Extra Health
Health Link
Horde
Illusionist
Missile Dampening
Invulnerable Minions
Shielding
Vampiric

"Aggressive" (No Limit):

ArcaneEnchanted
Desecrator
Electrified
Fast
Fire Chains
Frozen
Jailer
Molten
Mortar
Plagued
Reflects Damage
Teleporter
Waller

Random affixes can never be balanced ,putting categories simply reduces randomness.Seeing the list , I believe that aggressive limit should also be one. Gamers will easily encounter all those affixes within one game because monsters spawn with too many affixes leading to repetitive and predictable encounters like you put it.

Categories are nice but it is not going to solve the issue of affixes spawning on the wrong type of monsters e.g fire chains on slow monsters is alright and can be avoided but on fast monsters that run around a lot namely imps,melee chars get screwed.

Fighting powered up versions of regular mobs you encounter is NOT FUN for me maybe the rest of the community can provide feedback about this.I have already seen all affixes spawn and the monsters i fight are not awe inspiring, i find them dull and repetitive.

I would rather face unique mini boss with fixed powers like for e.g cerberus,the grim reaper,dracula. Those mini bosses should be the real test of strength of your characters and the strongest of mini bosses will actually give gamers reason to farm for months to deal with them and be the game's ENDGAME. Overall act diificulty is not the way to balance difficulty and satisfy all gamers. Lowering overall inferno difficulty for gamers that find the game too difficult but creating specific ultra hard monsters for the gamers that find the game too easy is THE SOLUTION.

Those mini bosses would spawn randomly and people would have to search for them but they would have the highest rewards along with act bosses. A typical run would then be to scour all of the act areas to find those highly rewarding but tough monsters and finishing by killing the act boss.

One suggestion I have would be to make events that spawn be triggers that will ultimately lead to those confrontations with those mini bosses.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Not a bad idea at all.

Also, wow...the time, she flies! Bump again.
90 Worgen Death Knight
In before thread locked - bump.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Staying bumped.
If gear doesn't have crit it doesnt sell now. This was not the case with IAS. I can easily say crit is more valued than IAS ever was. Either crit needs to be capped or IAS buffed a tad. Something needs fixing.
90 Worgen Death Knight
We also need an option to Lock our Action Bar. This has been iterated and reiterated dozens of times. It shoulda been in the game since Day 1.

** http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079707996?page=33#660 **
Edited by EricS#1876 on 7/15/2012 12:38 PM PDT
07/10/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
ur restrictions aren't as tight as some players have suggested, but in the end we found that adding extra limitations often made Elite pack encounters very predictable and repetitive, which kind of went against our design goal for these types of monsters.

i can tell you on my wiz 80% of the packs i encounter are reflects damage

my barb 80% of the packs are molten pretty predictable imo
How is Frozen and Jailer not a CC? You've got to be absolutely kidding me Actiblizzion.

4) Is Whimsyshire considered an Act I or Act IV zone?

It's considered an Act III/Act IV zone, depending on difficulty. The monsters in Hell are considered Hell - Act IV monsters, and the monsters in Inferno are considered Inferno - Act III/Act IV monsters. The drop rates buffs from [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6214196/"]June 28[/url] affect the zone accordingly.

A little clarification here. Normal Whimsyshire appears to have nightmare level drops as far as gem quality and crafting pages, which do not drop in any act of normal, are concerned.

-JJ
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hmm...wonder what the Hell Pony level will look like. I'll have to go farm up the Plans and that final piece from A3.

Hmm...wonder what the Hell Pony level will look like. I'll have to go farm up the Plans and that final piece from A3.

"absolutely abhorrable"

I'm going to get that on a tee shirt.

-JJ
bump
Thank you for going through the trouble of answering and addressing many of the forum-goers' questions and concerns. However, there are some critiques I wish to offer.

For the affixes, there's not a whole lot you need to change. Several individuals whine and complain about certain combinations, however with appropriate gear none of the combos are too bad. But there are a few tweaks in which you may want to look into that break a player's build. Instead of doing a lazy, flat rate nerf to the affix categories(like you mistakenly did with IAS) via limiting certain combinations, I think you guys should prevent certain mobs from receiving certain affixes. For instance, monsters which already have tremendous movement speed should never receive the affix "Fast". This breaks my demon hunter build wherein my caltrops no longer immobilize the mobs for 1-2 secs(with the torturous ground rune) and has literally no effect. It makes kiting impossible.

Making specific changes, as I've mention above, would be more preferable. I enjoy the system with how random the affixes are, so I do not want you to limit the randomization on a flat rate, however but on a specific manner. Please get more involved with your game and quit being lazy. Pinpoint the problems instead of issuing a messy stimulus package "fix" which only makes things even more hectic.

Also, I don't know what it is, but you and bashiok seem to constantly address issues from least important to moderately important. No offense, but we would like you all to get your priorities straightened out. We as a whole, do not care so much about magic find swapping or stacking more gems. Please address the main issues first, like the rmah, gold inflation, drop rolls(not rates) and provide more updates for the upcoming patches. We want to know what's going on and what your plans are.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Thank you for going through the trouble of answering and addressing many of the forum-goers' questions and concerns. However, there are some critiques I wish to offer.

For the affixes, there's not a whole lot you need to change. Several individuals whine and complain about certain combinations, however with appropriate gear none of the combos are too bad. But there are a few tweaks in which you may want to look into that break a player's build. Instead of doing a lazy, flat rate nerf to the affix categories(like you mistakenly did with IAS) via limiting certain combinations, I think you guys should prevent certain mobs from receiving certain affixes. For instance, monsters which already have tremendous movement speed should never receive the affix "Fast". This breaks my demon hunter build wherein my caltrops no longer immobilize the mobs for 1-2 secs(with the torturous ground rune) and has literally no effect. It makes kiting impossible.

Making specific changes, as I've mention above, would be more preferable. I enjoy the system with how random the affixes are, so I do not want you to limit the randomization on a flat rate, however but on a specific manner. Please get more involved with your game and quit being lazy. Pinpoint the problems instead of issuing a messy stimulus package "fix" which only makes things even more hectic.

Also, I don't know what it is, but you and bashiok seem to constantly address issues from least important to moderately important. No offense, but we would like you all to get your priorities straightened out. We as a whole, do not care so much about magic find swapping or stacking more gems. Please address the main issues first, like the rmah, gold inflation, drop rolls(not rates) and provide more updates for the upcoming patches. We want to know what's going on and what your plans are.

+1 - Especially the part about not giving an already naturally Fast creature the "Fast" affix. That kind of programming is what breaks builds...not silly little things like stats such as IAS.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Hehe. They still don't have anything to say to us.

Bump.

This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]