Diablo® III

Follow-Up Points

(Locked)

I think waller, jailer, frozen definitely belong in the strong CC department...If not all of them, at least move 1 of the 3 over.

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to fight a kiting AI elite with 2-3 CC affixes (inclusive of the 3 affixes stated above)? You add on defensive affix like illusion or shielding and the added diversity is not worth the player's frustration.
My personal favorite is Blizzard statement about IAS nerf and build diversity. Apparently you fail to realize there is still no "diverse" builds. There are 2 tops for each class, and many of those differ by 1-2 abilities max. The nerf to IAS was simple- it devalued other stats by too much and would lead to an eventually surplus of gear that would not sell on the RMAH.
07/10/2012 06:11 PMPosted by Magiknizm
We're fairly happy with where IAS is right now,

Really? "We" ??
o_O

We are not amused!

The CMs always speak in "we"s, though I think that's because they are speaking as the voice of the devs and less as persons with opinions.

Still amuses me every time they use it.
ah I would consider (and you miss the definition of cc if you don't)

Jailer,
Frozen,
Waller

to be crowed control. In fact the vast majority of the tedious instant deaths are from these and other cc abilities showing up at the same time. You end up stun locked in a mortar barrage, lava pool or heaven forbid an arcane beam. I think it would solve a lot of the issues by moving these 3 (or at least frozen, jailer )into the cc category. Players should never be able to be stun locked especially after popping their crowd control avoidance. Think about it, how is complete and utter loss of control of your character for the whole fight until you die considered fun? Even jay can't twist that one to sound fun.

edit: as an aside thank you for actually addressing some game play concerns but i still notice that the suggestions you have listed.... no body really cares about. once again NOTHING for game play. Are you missing the HUGE volumes of really great game play suggestions out there? or just ignoring them?
Edited by HappySpike#1468 on 7/10/2012 6:21 PM PDT
30 Undead Priest
Thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated. I am one of the only players(im sure) that agreed with the ias nerf. 2 serious questions i would like addressed, is the current focus on legendaries(hope not) or re-balancing player classes(really hope so being a wd). And is there any kind of eta on the patch preview for class changes, or any kind of estimate whatsoever, % complete, or any kind of data on this would be HIGHLY appreciated.
Follow-up question to follow-up points:

How come you have been in such a rush to nerf spots where players farm stuff while not having done something about Sarkoth, where botters have been going at it 24/7 for over a month? Why not the same urgency there as the urgency to nerf containers into oblivion?
Bashiok, are there any plans to make the Witch Doctor not suck?

No seriously, when?
Thank you for posting this, appreciate that you finally can give points on something.
Do this more often and i bet you will see more happy faces on the forums...... but the game still needs a serious fix, just so you know ^^
07/10/2012 05:50 PMPosted by Lylirra
as well as skill diversity in general (though we're going to need to do some additional skill balancing to bring it up to where we want).
This is good news, but I hope that the bar is set really really high...

I'd also like to see a tonne more item affixes. There was a thread in the old forums that asked for everyones ideas on affixes and names. We were promised there were going to be tonnes of affixes. Where did they all go? Our items are limited to the characters main stats, resistance, and 3 other affixes. Everything else is not only useless, it reduces the items value to zilch because ALL items have random affix chances. There's nothing concrete!
70 Human Priest

3) Allow users to buy multiple health potions with one click.

Also a cool idea! We're looking into it.

Now, now...don't be too hasty with these potentially game-breaking concepts. We wouldn't want to taint the industry with bad game mechanics. Sometimes you developer teams just don't understand the role you play for those younger, inexperienced, limited thought, "non-Blizzard" studios out there. They'll be copying these kinds of innovations for sure just because Blizzard did it, so make sure you give this due process before implementing. Personally, if this goes in, you have my vote for game of the year. Utter brilliance!

BRAVISSIMO!!!!
In regards to answer 3 you are ignoring a significant factor in what many people are talking about when they mention affix restriction. Namely, that you don't account for the natural abilities of the enemies you are fighting, essentially their free affixes.

For example, I fought a naga group with nightmarish illusionist jailer and something else I no longer remember. The issue was that nightmarish combined with an enemy that gets a free first strike was simply unreasonable. If you don't have a CC immunity, you are forced to kite nightmarish packs. But naga go invisible/immune shortly after you leave melee range. What made it even worse was that I would get nightmared into a wall or a corner then get illusionist blocked and stomped into bloody wizard bits. Getting out required teleporting (on my wiz) which killed my only cooldown to escape the jails.

Another example was an invulnerable minion pack of burrowers I fought. Seemingly reasonable until you realize that the burrow AI basically activates if you are 10 or so yards away. Because I was getting collision blocked by his invulnerable pack, the leader kept burrowing making it impossible to do damage to him.

When you run into situations like this, it isn't challenging, its simply frustrating. I have the gear so was able to kill these packs, but that doesn't make it any more fun.
In threads that I've responded to in the past, there were several follow-up questions and suggestions which I kept seeing over and over again. Rather than go back to those older posts and respond individually, I thought I would round them all up and provide answers here.

Since these types of posts can draw a lot of attention, please try to keep your responses as civil as possible. In the end, I'm hoping this helps provide some developer insight into a few of the recurring questions from this forum.

Questions:

1) You said you're inherently okay with players stacking certain stats over others. If this is the case, why did you nerf IAS?

One of the biggest issues we discovered with IAS was that it actively limited build diversity. While IAS was pretty strong on its own, when coupled with certain gear and skill combinations, it simply became too alluring for a lot of players to ignore. So, instead of seeing an increase in gear and skill diversity over time, what we actually saw was more and more players shifting to IAS-focused builds almost exclusively. On a scale large, it was crippling experimentation and skill diversity.

A lot of players think we reduced the value of IAS because it made characters too powerful. While that's not a totally unreasonable conclusion to jump to, it's definitely not true. We don't think "doing a lot of damage" or "doing too much damage" is enough reason for us to nerf something outright. IAS was an outlier -- it's not that it made characters too powerful, but rather that it caused a few builds to become vastly superior to others. On top of that, it introduced a ton of bugs just due to how fast characters were attacking when stacked to its upper limits.

The initial iteration of IAS was flawed in many ways. So, in effort to promote skill diversity and remove several game-impacting bugs from the environment, we reduced the value overall. We're fairly happy with where IAS is right now, as well as skill diversity in general (though we're going to need to do some additional skill balancing to bring it up to where we want).

Wrong, having IAS did not LIMIT builds, it allowed yuo to experiment more with gear and thus with builds.
Now, MONKS for example require as much IAS as they can possibly achieve to even be effective due to your massive limitation on their skillset (see non-scaling heals, low DPS output, etc).

3) Why aren't monster affix combinations restricted in some way?

Monster affixes are actually grouped into categories and then restricted based on those categories (to a degree). Our restrictions aren't as tight as some players have suggested, but in the end we found that adding extra limitations often made Elite pack encounters very predictable and repetitive, which kind of went against our design goal for these types of monsters.

We know that not all players will see eye-to-eye with us on how these categories are organized, and we expect some criticism and disagreement, especially from such a passionate group of gamers. While we're happy with where affix combos are right now, we're open to feedback and especially constructive discussion. :)

Here are the categories:

Strong CC (Limit 1):
  • Knockback
  • Nightmarish
  • Vortex

Defensive (Limit 1):
  • Avenger
  • Extra Health
  • Health Link
  • Horde
  • Illusionist
  • Missile Dampening
  • Invulnerable Minions
  • Shielding
  • Vampiric

Aggressive (No Limit):
  • ArcaneEnchanted
  • Desecrator
  • Electrified
  • Fast
  • Fire Chains
  • Frozen
  • Jailer
  • Molten
  • Mortar
  • Plagued
  • Reflects Damage
  • Teleporter
  • Waller

----

Also wrong, you have this all backwards or your coding is just incorrect.

I have seen Vortex + Nightmarish packs.

The rest is a useless fluff post that gives no real information, thanks.

+1
07/10/2012 05:57 PMPosted by mooplet
We're fairly happy with where IAS is right now, as well as skill diversity in general

yikes

Why yikes?

IAS was way too good and no geared class struggles (besides WD) in the game at all.
Lylirra I hope you see my post :)

Anyway, I would like to point out that randomized affixes on elite packs really do give the game more intrigue as it makes it more fun to play. To some extent though, some combinations are just plain impossible for both classes. Molten,Jailer,Desecrator,Vortex for melee and Missile Dampening, Mortar, Fast, Invulnerable for Range and so much more.

I've been thinking that if it goes against your game philosophy to try do some extra limitations for the affixes, why not just reduce the effectiveness of each affix according to the random spawn of the elite? For example

Invulnerable, Molten, Vortex, Fire Chain
100% 75% 50% 25%

Missile Dampening, Mortar, Jailer, Fast
100% 75% 50% 25%

With this, you can go all random with the elites and retain the fun while still making them doable not impossible.

Hope you see this!
30 Undead Priest
07/10/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Zymosis
AS is in a perfect spot right now. My monk has stacked IAS and is still amazing even post nerf.

Actually damage wise it still slightly outperformscrit on a wd without extreme amounts of crit... Also increases the scaling of other things, ias feels quite nice right now.
Follow-up question to follow-up points:

How come you have been in such a rush to nerf spots where players farm stuff while not having done something about Sarkoth, where botters have been going at it 24/7 for over a month? Why not the same urgency there as the urgency to nerf containers into oblivion?

The inflation of the gold economy at the alarming rate was set in motion by the gold farmers and sellers

This drives people to the rmah. 15% cut
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]