Diablo® III

Story Fixed... no really. Fixed.

Act 1

Tyrael falls. The dead rise.

You meet an injured Cain in his room at his house. He begs you to rescue Leah. You run up to the cathedral and find Leah in a running battle with the skeleton king’s minions blasting them with magic. You help her fight off the skeletons and she demands you help her find Cain. You inform her of his whereabouts and she rushes back to town. You get the crown and Leah follows you after stabilizing the wounded Cain with her mysterious power. You get to Leoric’s room and find a door that can only be opened by his bloodline. She opens the door, you knock off the king and you rescue Tyrael.

Collect sword pieces. Pop back to Tristram. You find Belial standing over the sword, stranger and Cain. Raging battle ensues, Leah and Cain work together to injure Belial while you fight off minions. Cain is gravely wounded, but recognizes the hilt of El’druin. Reforges the sword, taking the last of his life energy. Instead of letting him unjustly die, he gives El’druin to Cain. This heals Cain, Tyrael gives his warning and dies.

You chase Belial to Leoric’s manner, where he’s attempting a ritual to resurrect Diablo. You destroy the altar, but this drops you into a giant pit with the Butcher. Trickery. Lies. Traps. More fitting of the Lord of Lies. You rescue a prisoner that tells you he’s from Alcarnus, then dies.

Act 2

You arrive at Caldeum, fight to Alcarnus through all of Belial’s cultists. Cain begs you not to go any further until you’ve figured thing out. You ignore him. You get to Alcarnus and slaughter everyone, including Belial. Oops. It’s all been a major illusion and you’ve just killed everyone that was holding out against the Lord of Lies, the last survivor tells you that he’s taken over Caldeum as the Prime Minister. Ha, ha. Joke’s on you. Cain stays to bury the dead and search for survivors. Leah is beside herself with grief.

Cain discovers that Belial is actually attempting to bring back the Primes with a shard of the Worldstone, but this time to combine them into himself as the Prime Evil. He comes up with a plan to resurrect an old Horadrim to try and help them, since he was the expert on the Soulstones, but driven to hatred of all things by Mephisto.

You pop Kulle together and you stomp off to destroy Belial. Belial drops a line about recognizing Leah. He’s almost completed the ritual, becoming Super Belial and destroying half of Caldeum. You kill him and Kulle helps you contain the power in the Worldstone shard. (Look ma, no gaping plot holes!)
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 7/13/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Act 3

Kulle is drooling over the newly dubbed “Black Soulstone.” He, Cain and Leah are constantly arguing over what to do with it, where to go, etc.

Azmodan got wind of what Belial was trying to do, so he launches an all out assault on Middle Earth… I mean Sanctuary. You storm into the ruins of Bastion’s keep with a relief army from Westmarch. Taking back an inch of ground at a time. You recapture the walls, you drive out the forces from below and kill their general. The whole time runners are announcing plot events. You hurry out to see demonic siege weapons being raised and counter with your own. You lead a charge from the battlements to drive back the horde, break the lines and continue into the crater.

Azmodan counters, closing the gap on you and taking out half the army. You decide to press on to destroy the only thing holding together the army. The Sin Hearts. You destroy the Hearts and the demonic army on the surface vanishes.

You finally get to Azmodan, but he’s surrounded by demons. Your army shows up, led by Cain and there’s a battle royale. In the melee, you take on Azmodan and take him down. Battle… strategy… etc.

You capture Azmodan in the stone and get ready to hike back to the Hellforge. Before you can do that Kulle and Cain get into an argument, then fight. The Soulstone is broken, the explosion knocking out everyone but Leah. Black souls begin to leak out. Picking up the stone, she does the only thing she can think to do. She drives the stone into her heart. Diablo is reborn.

She tries to stab herself with her dagger, but Diablo resists her. They dialogue, she fights him, but the revelation that she is his daughter blows away her concentration. She loses the fight.

Act 4

Leah’s spirit now leads us through the battle in the High Heavens. She taps some of Diablo’s power to communicate with the player and begs us to hurry. We roll through Iskatu, Rakanoth and others. Auriel thanks us and doesn’t say anything about “exceeding expectations.”

We fight Diablo, he sucks us into the Realm of Terror. Leah’s power brings us back and we give him a huge demon butt-whooping.

Now that the demons are dead, Tyrael is reborn from the Arch. Cain returns the sword and is given an honorary place on the council. The Soulstone is left open with: it must be returned to the Hellforge and destroyed. But it will take time for the Angelic Host to clear the way to the Pandemonium Fortress and the gates of Hell.

TL;DR: Kulle story, bro.
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 7/13/2012 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Having Leah be part of Leoric's bloodline to open a door doesn't add anything to the plot so either remove it or use it to explain how you get a relief army when going to Bastion's Keep.

The part about Diablo being reborn because Leah drives the soul stone into her heart is stupid and comes out of nowhere. If would be better if Belial or Azmodan tries to use magic to turn Leah into Diablo or a Diablo-like demon so they'll have a powerful servant. The player tries to help Leah, fails, and has to kill her before she becomes a monster. Obviously some demons want Leah to become a demon and try to stop you.

Also why would you need to destroy the soul stone when it's broken? Isn't breaking the soul stone part of destroying it?
Reply Quote
i like it. better than the current plotline, in any case.

07/13/2012 04:43 PMPosted by uanime5
The part about Diablo being reborn because Leah drives the soul stone into her heart is stupid and comes out of nowhere.

it makes sense because the souls are leaking out, and she knows that the only way to contain them is to absorb them into herself, a la the ending to Diablo 1.

i'm not saying his story is flawless, but that doesn't strike me as an issue. to be honest, it doesn't make sense that Azmodan or Belial would try and turn Leah into a servant, because she is the daughter of Diablo. the danger in keeping her around would far outweigh any raw power she could have. if Azmodan or Belial learned about her origins, their most likely responses would be to destroy her or use that knowledge to manipulate Diablo, respectively.

Also why would you need to destroy the soul stone when it's broken? Isn't breaking the soul stone part of destroying it?

ohhh, kind of like, when the Fukushima Reactor was broken, it was destroyed, right? there was no reason at all for everyone to be worried about the radiation or nuclear substances that were seeping out.
Edited by immaterial#1974 on 7/13/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Damn... I was skeptical of your thread title, but you really did fix it. I will now be envisioning this storyline in my head as I play through the game.

Seriously, blizzard? Seriously? Did an anonymous forum member just write a better and more faithful-to-diablo story than your writing department could?
Reply Quote
Dont really like this, but the Kulle part is really good. He was so stupid in the present game, "Oh snap, now all the prime evils are in black soulstone, wtf did i do??????? lol !@#$ing retarded storywriters"
Reply Quote
Having Leah be part of Leoric's bloodline to open a door doesn't add anything to the plot so either remove it or use it to explain how you get a relief army when going to Bastion's Keep.

Well I was working within the confines of Leoric is grandfather, Aidan is father and Leah is still Princess Leah. Leah in terms of the game could either (1) summon an army as the heir to the throne of Khanduras (sp?) or (2) convince the King of Westmarch for aid. If you're going to make me give up all the good points, it's a less entertaining read, you know.

The part about Diablo being reborn because Leah drives the soul stone into her heart is stupid and comes out of nowhere. If would be better if Belial or Azmodan tries to use magic to turn Leah into Diablo or a Diablo-like demon so they'll have a powerful servant. The player tries to help Leah, fails, and has to kill her before she becomes a monster. Obviously some demons want Leah to become a demon and try to stop you.

It's dark, gothic and follows D1. Her father did a selfless act to try to save people, Diablo knowing this would happen actually PLANS for it. Like father, like daughter.

D2 canon. Tal Rasha was imprisoned with Baal, because his stone was corrupted (D3 made this because of Kulle). Per D2 lore the only way to banish the evils back to the Abyss was to destroy their soulstones on the Hellforge. Simply breaking the stone reduces its effectiveness as a prison.
Reply Quote
07/13/2012 05:38 PMPosted by immaterial
i like it. better than the current plotline, in any case.

Thanks.

Damn... I was skeptical of your thread title, but you really did fix it. I will now be envisioning this storyline in my head as I play through the game.

Seriously, blizzard? Seriously? Did an anonymous forum member just write a better and more faithful-to-diablo story than your writing department could?

Thanks again.

07/13/2012 08:51 PMPosted by fenix
Dont really like this, but the Kulle part is really good. He was so stupid in the present game, "Oh snap, now all the prime evils are in black soulstone, wtf did i do??????? lol !@#$ing retarded storywriters"

What part(s) did you not like? I'm not a gigantic video game franchise. I'm certainly open to suggestions.
Reply Quote
I'm not especially fond of temporarily killing Tyrael to allow Cain to live. Cain should die, hes lived a good life, done much for humanity, but they should have found a more proper way to do it. Tyraels a relatively new character, (compared to cain) I'd like to see more of him, rather then side lining him intill the expansion.

P.S. He wouldn't be coming out of the Crystal Arch in a timely fashion, it would take years.

Belial shouldn't want Diablo Baal and Mephisto back, he should be trying to find a way to absorb their power for his own. Belial should be confined to act 2's story as decieving Caldeum should be a full time job of his, only having agents for his interaction with act 1's story. Caldeum is a big city, I'd like the first part of act 2 to be exploring more of it rather then going out to Alcarnus.

While I don't like the way that Azmodan bragged about what he was doing to you guys, but I'd rather not have random people announce what is happening just to avoid him talking. It would be better if there was a good reason for him to be talking to you. I don't really get most of the changes to Act 3 other then you wanting Azmodan to shut up. They don't really seem to make Azmodan any more strategic. An obvious one would be to set up some sort of trap or ambush in the keep, like perhaps demons have been gnawing away at structural weaknesses waiting for the right time to bring the whole thing down, or something along those lines.

P.S. Destroying the hearts shouldn't and wouldn't make the demons vanish, but it might be enough to give the upperhand to your army.
Edited by Ascendedone#1637 on 7/14/2012 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The part about Diablo being reborn because Leah drives the soul stone into her heart is stupid and comes out of nowhere.

it makes sense because the souls are leaking out, and she knows that the only way to contain them is to absorb them into herself, a la the ending to Diablo 1.

i'm not saying his story is flawless, but that doesn't strike me as an issue. to be honest, it doesn't make sense that Azmodan or Belial would try and turn Leah into a servant, because she is the daughter of Diablo. the danger in keeping her around would far outweigh any raw power she could have. if Azmodan or Belial learned about her origins, their most likely responses would be to destroy her or use that knowledge to manipulate Diablo, respectively.

My problem with this is that Leah turns into Diablo even though the soulstone contains Azmodan and Belial. Since she's going to absorb the soul of Azmodan, Belial, or both she should become Azmodan, Belial, or a hybrid of them. Leah shouldn't turn into Diablo.

The rest of my post was a possible solution.

ohhh, kind of like, when the Fukushima Reactor was broken, it was destroyed, right? there was no reason at all for everyone to be worried about the radiation or nuclear substances that were seeping out.

You're comparing apples and oranges. The Fukushima Reactor, which wasn't working because it didn't have any power, was being cooled until the cooling system could be repaired. By contrast the Leah is trying to keep the soulstone in one piece until it can be smashed with a hammer. If there's another way to break the soulstone then the main character should use it.

The purpose of the soulstone was to imprison the greater evils so they couldn't cause any more problems. When the soulstone became corrupted they were smashed so the greater evils couldn't abuse the power of the worldstone. So imprisoning Belial and Azmodan in a soulstone and then breaking the soulstone seems to be an ineffective way of killing them.

The whole concept of death is confusing in the Diablo universe. Do demons remain alive if you kill them, unless you trap their souls in a magic crystal and then smash this crystal in the hell forge? Does killing a demon send its soul to the Abyss, while a soulstone prevents this?

07/13/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Melancholy

D2 canon. Tal Rasha was imprisoned with Baal, because his stone was corrupted (D3 made this because of Kulle). Per D2 lore the only way to banish the evils back to the Abyss was to destroy their soulstones on the Hellforge. Simply breaking the stone reduces its effectiveness as a prison.

In D2 the soulstone was shattered while trying to capture Baal so Tal Rasha was also bound with the largest piece to ensure that Baal would be contained. This proved very effective as he wasn't able to corrupt everything near him, unlike Diablo and Mephisto.

Per D2 lore there wasn't any way to break the soulstone other than the Hellforge. Though Baal somehow shattered his soulstone (perhaps they're more brittle if they don't contain a demon).
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Hellforge
Reply Quote
Cant be denied, its better then the current one. What happened Blizzard? One random forum user lays out a better story ground. I feel sorry for the gameplay developers. The actual game is ok then they add a nintendo 8bit story, like a slap in the face.
Edited by DirkDiggler#2891 on 7/14/2012 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like the story. It's not without its faults, but it's a vast improvement.

My biggest problem with it is actually the Alcarnus part in Act 2. The Alcarnus part is problematic for replay value. As a twist to the story, it's really good, but players generally don't like to actively take part in an activity that they KNOW (from a previous playthrough) is going to make them look like fools. People would spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out a way to not kill things in Alcarnus, and wouldn't be happy when the game FORCED them to kill innocents. It's decidedly unheroic.

That's why having deception happen in cut scenes is better. Sure, we roll our eyes and say, "I totally wasn't fooled, these characters must be stupid," but it's better than being forced to do something that we know isn't actually in our best interests. As evidence, check out how many threads there are about people objecting to having to kill Zultan Kulle. When you KNOW that Adria is using both of you (not helped by Kulle saying, "They're using you."), you don't like having to kill an innocent (in this instance, anyway) guy.

Now imagine how much more backlash there would be if you were killing actual good guys instead of bad-guy-who-happens-to-be-a-good-guy-this-one-time.

So fix that part, and have a new draft on my desk first thing Monday morning!
Reply Quote
you put cain in the midst of action too many times.

cain's rôle has always been to get rescued, then provide behind-the-scene advise.

your act 4 is too lazy, much like in the game lol

otherwise, not bad at all.
Reply Quote
07/14/2012 05:02 AMPosted by AscendedOne
Belial shouldn't want Diablo Baal and Mephisto back, he should be trying to find a way to absorb their power for his own. Belial should be confined to act 2's story as decieving Caldeum should be a full time job of his, only having agents for his interaction with act 1's story. Caldeum is a big city, I'd like the first part of act 2 to be exploring more of it rather then going out to Alcarnus.

Well that was the "lie" so to speak... you're preventing Diablo from coming back.. only to find yourself in a gigantic flaming level with a big demon. It chaps me every time to walk right into the trap... at least force me to fall in.

07/14/2012 05:02 AMPosted by AscendedOne
I don't really get most of the changes to Act 3 other then you wanting Azmodan to shut up. They don't really seem to make Azmodan any more strategic. An obvious one would be to set up some sort of trap or ambush in the keep, like perhaps demons have been gnawing away at structural weaknesses waiting for the right time to bring the whole thing down, or something along those lines.

Well the sub-plot is something along the lines of most of his army deserts him, sensing the imminent return of Diablo. Making it a desperate free-for-all, not a full on assault.

07/14/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Stentorian
your act 4 is too lazy, much like in the game lol

Ack. The Act 4 story is really not there. It's stop Diablo. I personally would have liked to see different aspects of each Prime attacking us... a shadow of Baal, a shadow of Mephisto... I've seen others suggest a drawn out act 4 where you begin at a Heaven style base and work on from there... But now you have to include all sorts of Heaven style weapons, armor, runes, etc. I'll think on it some more.
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 7/14/2012 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I allways like reading alternatives for this story, people can be very imaginative. So, id' like to pitch in my 5 cents. How about this, and it's just at the top of my head...

It's already hinted that imperius is archangel of wrath, so... Tyriel stands in trial for destroying worldstone, insults Imperius and decides to turn his back on his fellow angels and return to Sanctuary. Imperius will have none of that and in his "wrath" he tries to rip tyriell's wings off, archangel of hope tries to interfere and Imperius gets her killed, then proceeds to rip tyriells wings off and banish him to his precious Sanctuary. Archangels are shocked, Mathael, the wisdom, horrified leaves to not be heard from again, and now we have heavens without hope, wisdom and justice, ruled by wrath (making Imperius the one of the major bosses in act 4). And there, we have the intro witch clearly shows that the things are really messed up and it's only going to get worse.

Now as I understood, angels are influenced by the power of the archangels, so without hope, wisdom and justice (they will be born again but not soon, not in time) the heaven's grow restless and weak... Then we have Tyriel back on earth torn between his angel side where he basically has given up, and his human side that needs to be embraced to keep on fighting and find hope again (one peace of the act 1 story, to get tyriell cool and badass again)... And there you have it, dead rising due to injustice that tyriell himself feel but it's not his fault so he still keeps his cool factor and not give us "it's his fault for the dead rising c**p" wibe.

Or we can go even further back... Why don't we make it like this... Coven had 3 leaders, one of them Belial's spy, and as the LoD story unfolds (that means Diablo and most of the evils dead, Coven that worshipped him in shambles) and the location of worldstone is revealed, he runs against time just as the heroes do to get to the worldstone. So in the nick of time, just before the worldstone is destroyed he uses it to pull souls from the abyss and stuff them into the black soulstone. Belial doesn't want his defeated bothers alive and kicking in the Sanctuary, he wants them imprisoned, to serve his goal to becoming a prime evil. Only thing that is now left is the only guy who's not trapped in the black soulstone, Azmodan. So, Belial's plan sets in motion, for him to be the prime evil. He tricks Azmodan to invade Sanctuary in the search for the black soulstone, and so we have our end of days... Demons roam the lands again, heaven in turmoil, no hope in sight and it's only the act 1. So we make act 1 about cleaning up the remains of the coven and getting tyriel to take up his sword again (and make him badass anew in the process) as well as introducing the main baddie (Belial) at the end of the act and beginning the chase/revenge for act 2. How? Well...

What I would like to do (in act 1 at least) is add a character or two in new Tristram who at the very least have some news about what was going on in the world and with the past heroes since LoD, and I would definitely had another enchant item/make sockets type character, make her a ragged blind old lady (just throwing ideas around), bit on the batsh*t crazy side, with a bit darker backstory for you to explore like the Shen and Headrig.

So I said that Belial only needs to have Azmodans soul to become prime evil... This is how. With the help from the blind enchantress, Cain is trying to find a way to stop Azmodan and his invasion, and with the blind lady's help discovers there is a black soulstone hidden beneath the desert sands of Caldeum. He summons Leah, tells her what he has discovered and have her prepare everyone for the journey to Caldeum. As she exits Cain turns around to a grinning face of the bind enchantress. Now, I played first two games and one thing I found about all the evils is that they really, really like possessing powerful people. So say hello to Magdha, one of the 3 leaders of the Coven, who was enchanting and socketing your bloody items for the whole act. And I'm not talking about fairy godmother Maghda, but the mean, old, blind, pissed of bi**h possessed by Belial. So Belial kills Cain and sets our merry group on the only viable path - to continue journey to find the black soulstone and capture Azmodan's soul, doing exactly what the Belial wanted. Act 1 ends...

Like I said, this is just what came to my mind in, literally this ten minutes while I was writing it, so if there's any plot holes sorry about that :)
Edited by Fluffynator#2310 on 7/14/2012 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Act 3

Kulle is drooling over the newly dubbed “Black Soulstone.” He, Cain and Leah are constantly arguing over what to do with it, where to go, etc.

Azmodan got wind of what Belial was trying to do, so he launches an all out assault on Middle Earth… I mean Sanctuary. You storm into the ruins of Bastion’s keep with a relief army from Westmarch. Taking back an inch of ground at a time. You recapture the walls, you drive out the forces from below and kill their general. The whole time runners are announcing plot events. You hurry out to see demonic siege weapons being raised and counter with your own. You lead a charge from the battlements to drive back the horde, break the lines and continue into the crater.

Azmodan counters, closing the gap on you and taking out half the army. You decide to press on to destroy the only thing holding together the army. The Sin Hearts. You destroy the Hearts and the demonic army on the surface vanishes.

You finally get to Azmodan, but he’s surrounded by demons. Your army shows up, led by Cain and there’s a battle royale. In the melee, you take on Azmodan and take him down. Battle… strategy… etc.

You capture Azmodan in the stone and get ready to hike back to the Hellforge. Before you can do that Kulle and Cain get into an argument, then fight. The Soulstone is broken, the explosion knocking out everyone but Leah. Black souls begin to leak out. Picking up the stone, she does the only thing she can think to do. She drives the stone into her heart. Diablo is reborn.

She tries to stab herself with her dagger, but Diablo resists her. They dialogue, she fights him, but the revelation that she is his daughter blows away her concentration. She loses the fight.

Act 4

Leah’s spirit now leads us through the battle in the High Heavens. She taps some of Diablo’s power to communicate with the player and begs us to hurry. We roll through Iskatu, Rakanoth and others. Auriel thanks us and doesn’t say anything about “exceeding expectations.”

We fight Diablo, he sucks us into the Realm of Terror. Leah’s power brings us back and we give him a huge demon butt-whooping.

Now that the demons are dead, Tyrael is reborn from the Arch. Cain returns the sword and is given an honorary place on the council. The Soulstone is left open with: it must be returned to the Hellforge and destroyed. But it will take time for the Angelic Host to clear the way to the Pandemonium Fortress and the gates of Hell.

TL;DR: Kulle story, bro.

Entire story seems to revolve around keeping Cain alive... Also, it puts the old man into the front of battle where he does not belong. Personally, I'm glad blizz had the guts to finally end him.
Reply Quote
I like this a lot. Good job.
I know you are trying to sick with the story as much as possible but why do the dead rise with Tyrial's fall? That is one of the bits I dislike the most about the current story.
Also, I think having you kill Cain as part of the belial deception would be cool.
Reply Quote
88 Human Death Knight
sounds good to me
Reply Quote
This is perhaps one of the most positive forum threads I have seen to date. Now THIS is what a fan-based community looks like. Awesome story Melancholy, I enjoyed reading every bit of it. The Act progressions tie in very nicely, sort of like in D2. And you definitely made the Butcher boss fight make sense! - instead of 100% of players going what is a butcher have to do with anything? Even Kulle's part in this game makes sense, no butterfly death of Cain!

Edit: IMO, anyone who is glad that Cain is dead is not really a fan of Diablo. Cain is an iconic character, if he was going to die, at least let him die honorably.

Check out this forum post about a guy ranting on D3 and its biggest mistakes if you haven't done so already: he's probably one of the more intelligent people giving arguments for the downfall of D3.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079791187?page=3
(2/5 of the page down or so)
Edited by Xnme#1865 on 7/18/2012 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]