Diablo® III

RMAH Abuse Rampant; Economy Crashing

90 Undead Priest
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3481/20120715/diablo-3-real-money-auction-house-abuse.htm

Even the mainstream media is reporting on this now - it appears that exploits are possible because Blizzard doesn't use any server-side validation on the AH... if they don't use it on the AH I wonder where else they missed it... not good...

Also notice how the gold cap is 2 billion... know why? Because our gold is stored in an int, and the largest number an int can be is 2,147,483,647... Alternatively if they stored it in a long (which is 8 bytes per player instead of the 4 bytes used by an int), then the gold-cap could be much higher (max value for a long is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807)...

Anyway we may need those extra bytes with all the gold farmer inflation forecast by that article (they interview one guy who makes 60 million gold an hour with bots!), so please consider it! What's 4 more bytes per player gonna cost anyway, can't be that much...
Edited by Dreary on 7/16/2012 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For the players that don't know...what is an "int"?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
07/15/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Rhetorical
(they interview one guy who makes $60 million an hour with bots!)

That's 60 million gold per hour. Which is not anything like $60 million an hour.

Oh ya I thought it was implied since I was talking about gold inflation but I suppose some people get confused easily thanks for pointing that out!
Reply Quote
07/15/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Wiks

int= integer.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
07/15/2012 04:21 PMPosted by Wiks

its a primitive data structure in programming. int's take up 4 bytes of memory and can only be whole numbers. there's alot of other ones too (like shorts, longs and floats!).. they all use different sizes in memory and it used to be you would choose which type to used based on memory limitations of your computer, but memory is cheap these days so I'm not sure why they used int and not long since it doesn't take much time to hit gold-cap of $2 billion...
Reply Quote
30 Undead Priest
yep and gold farmers dont lie exxagerate or anything of that nature nope never happend/happens never gonna occur it wont flag like a wildfire for ban hammmer either throwing up 60 mill gold an hour onto rmah. </sarcasm>
Reply Quote
It's summer. People want to go on vacation, take time off, including I imagine coders and programmers at Blizzard.

Any fixes will just have to wait, right?
Reply Quote
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3481/20120715/diablo-3-real-money-auction-house-abuse.htm

Even the mainstream media is reporting on this now - it appears that exploits are possible because Blizzard doesn't use any server-side validation on the AH... if they don't use it on the AH I wonder where else they missed it... not good...

Also notice how the gold cap is 2 billion... know why? Because our gold is stored in an int, and the largest number an int can be is 2,147,483,647... Alternatively if they stored it in a long (which is 8 bytes per player instead of the 4 bytes used by an int), then the gold-cap could be much higher (max value for a long is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807)...

Anyway we may need those extra bytes with all the gold farmer inflation forecast by that article (they interview one guy who makes $60 million gold an hour with bots!), so please consider it! What's 4 more bytes per player gonna cost anyway, can't be that much...

Get a price quote for 99,999,999 x 100,000 gold.

That's 9,999,999,900,000 gold.

They did it for where it mattered the most. lol
Reply Quote
At this point in-game, I don't get the feeling that the economy isn't crashing so much because of inflation (it does play a role) but more due to fewer people spending fewer hours in-game playing the game rather than playing the GAH/RMAH.

In a sense, the early quitters who said that the game was turning into a AuctionhouseCraft were right.

My title is World of AuctionHouse™ or WoAH. Haha.
Reply Quote
At this point in-game, I don't get the feeling that the economy isn't crashing so much because of inflation (it does play a role) but more due to fewer people spending fewer hours in-game playing the game rather than playing the GAH/RMAH.

In a sense, the early quitters who said that the game was turning into a AuctionhouseCraft were right.

My title is World of AuctionHouse™ or WoAH. Haha.

And yes, WoAH rhymes with woe.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight

Also notice how the gold cap is 2 billion...

Anyway we may need those extra bytes with all the gold farmer inflation forecast by that article (they interview one guy who makes $60 million gold an hour with bots).

If a gold farmer is making 60 million gold per hour and the cap is 2 billion, it's only gonna take him less than 34 hours to max out.

Then what does he do?

Seriously, I don't know because I've stopped paying attention since I've pretty much quit this piece of garbage.

it would be 2 billion on each account. 100 accounts. Math is your friend.

edit- And i dunno where you even got 2 billion ayway...
Edited by MrWarglaive#1296 on 7/15/2012 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If a gold farmer is making 60 million gold per hour and the cap is 2 billion, it's only gonna take him less than 34 hours to max out.

Then what does he do?

i guess it is a good thing that bliz hasnt added gold selling on the rmah......oh wait. they already did. guess all those botters are happy. as well as all those that wish to buy their way thru the game.
Reply Quote
07/15/2012 04:42 PMPosted by databandit
Note that in the blizzhackers post he links to no one can get this working, says it fixed or claims it worked "once" but have no proof

^ this read before fear mongering plz , I know it's less intresting then spreading panic but....
Edited by Captainhowdy#1698 on 7/15/2012 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't understand why Blizzard cannot take immediate legal action against bot developers. Considering they now impact a real world currency market, and not fake game currency. On the whole making an AH in this game was a horrible idea, it was much better before when people used real money on 3rd party websites and whatnot. Item bartering was much more fun I think, even than trading for gold.

If Blizzard was smart, they would find a way to cash out everyone's battle.net balance to them, then shut down both auction houses and add in a lobby system like D2's where people could make trading games.
Edited by Jester#1747 on 7/15/2012 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't understand why Blizzard cannot take immediate legal action against bot developers. Considering they now impact a real world currency market, and not fake game currency. On the whole making an AH in this game was a horrible idea, it was much better before when people used real money on 3rd party websites and whatnot. Item bartering was much more fun I think, even than trading for gold.

If Blizzard was smart, they would find a way to cash out everyone's battle.net balance to them, then shut down both auction houses and add in a lobby system like D2's where people could make trading games.

Farmers and hackers have to always keep one step ahead of Blizzard programers or they get caught. Blizzard has good programmers but there are some really brilliant hackers out there. Blizzard can't catch them all.

Bartering isn't the answer. Most people don't have the time or patience. Look at the relatively empty the Trading forum.
Reply Quote
07/15/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Jester
I don't understand why Blizzard cannot take immediate legal action against bot developers.

making a bot and using a bot is two completely different things. just like publishing a book on how to make a bomb is different then making and/or using said bomb.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]