Diablo® III

Diablo 3 changes and Endgame ideas.

This is going to be a TL:DR post for those with short attention spans, so lets get on with the good stuff!

First off, I like Diablo 3, I enjoy playing it, and I have played it consistently since release. I loved Diablo 2, and played entirely too much of it and really love a lot of the things that Blizzard changed in Diablo 3.

However, this game still has some obvious flaws that I would love to see addressed in future patches and/or expansions, in order to make this game better and keep people playing it.
I work at a video game company currently as a designer, and decided to sit back and think about all the things in Diablo 2 that I loved, that I hated, and all the things that I think really work in Diablo 3, and really need a massive overhaul. I’ve listed my points out, so you can jump about this post and read or skip the portions that interest you. There’s going to be 1 key thing that this post will revolve around, what’s fun, and what isn’t. Below are the things that I thought of and other things that some other people have brought up within the community that I think should be looked into a bit further:

1. White Items need to be used during the crafting Process

Why is this?
Currently, white items are useless. They’re currently not even worth picking up to vendor, as they really don’t sell for very much, and with the frequency that blues currently drop, it really makes no sense to collect regular white and grey items. These need to have a purpose, a reason to be picked up, and they also need to be FUN to search for.

In Diablo 2, a white socketed item could still turn quite a profit as you could use them to create rune words. While Diablo 3 doesn’t have Rune words, we do still have the crafting system.
How White items could be used:
Like Rune words, when they were constructed the base value of the item being used was then used in the construction and stat “roll” for that item. This should also happen during item crafting.

What this means for example is during the crafting of a pair of rare boots, you will need a pair of white non magical boots as part of the materials needed to create those boots. The stats then that the rare will roll will be consistent with the Item level of the non magical item being used. So if you use a pair of non magical boots from normal act 1, they will be vastly different from the quality of an item level 63 pair of non magical boots etc.

The boots will also not be able to roll any armor value UNDER what is currently already on the pair of boots.
This goes the same for the DPS on weapons. If a item level 63 weapon has a base 400dps then the rare will use that as a base, and can only roll 400 or higher.
What this will accomplish:
It will add another level of fun to the game, as you’ll have more things to search for. Diablo 3 and Diablo 2 were always about the search for more loot, and giving white items a purpose will give another level of items to search for and be sought after. This will also allow people to have yet another thing that they can sell on the AH or RMAH as well, as certain tiers of White items will be greatly sought after, just like 3 socketed Archon plates were in Diablo 2.
Gems could also be included in this process as well, to guarantee a certain specific stat. A flawless Square Ruby could be needed to guarantee that rare will roll with Strength (the only variable, being exactly how much Strength it will have)

2. Class Specific Items need to roll class specific stats GUARENTEED.

Rare for the most part can stay the way they are currently, when it comes to random number generation, however class specific items like Wizard Hats, Barb Belts, Barb Weapons, Monk weapons, wands etc need to roll guaranteed stats that will benefit the class that uses them. Then it doesn’t become a question of IF the item will roll the stat you need, but how MUCH of that stat it will roll, which makes it more fun, and a bit more exciting.
All other rare items can stay the same, but class specific items need to change, period.
Seeing strength and fury on a Wizard hat isn’t good game design, it’s just stupid and seems rather lazy and does nothing but frustrate the person playing. Seeing a class specific item drop for the class we currently play should EXCITE us, and not turn into another moment of “Let’s hope this rolls with something I can actually use”. Wizard specific items should roll with Intelligence, Barb items with Strength etc.

3. Certain set item drop rates need to change
People have been complaining about Set and Legendary drop rates since the game was released and people started realizing they wouldn’t fall from the sky like they did in Diablo 2, and I do have to agree with them to a certain extent.

With a Wiz in Inferno and almost 200 hours played I’ve found 1 set piece for a Monk, and that’s after consistently farming.

One thing I loved about Diablo 2 was set drops. There was certain items from certain sets that you would find all the time. With Immortal Kings you could consistently find every other item for the set, aside from the Soul Cage chest piece and I can’t tell you how many Tal Rasha chest pieces and Griswolds I’ve found through the years of playing Diablo 2. Diablo 3 should be no different in this respect.
While drop rates for specific Set items may not be changed (or could even be decreased to make them even more rare) finding certain set items at a consistent rate should be common place and will help make things a bit more exciting there as well.
Not only that, it will also affect the current in game economy, as certain set pieces will become of lesser value as they will be more easily found by the hardcore and casual players alike.

This will also make completing the set a worthwhile and endeavor and will be that much more exciting and fun to do.
Legendary Item issues:
Drop rates currently are extremely low given the quality of the items that we’re given when we finally do come upon our first Legendary. Since release I’ve found a few, and I’ve salvaged all of them, aside from 1, which I kept for my MF set (otherwise useless).

Legendary items need to have certain set stats guaranteed (dependant on their item level obviously), period. When it came to Diablo 2 Uniques (which is about the closest thing that this game has in terms of “Legendary” items) Uniques were sometimes great, sometimes amazing, but still useful at least for a small amount of time.
You knew a Harlequin Crest Shako would add +2 to all skills (a now dead stat, which I will talk about later on), with Life and Mana and give you more MF, it was guaranteed. While some stats may have a slight degree of difference (Perfect Magic Find on War Travelers anyone?) You still knew that stat would be in place, and it was guaranteed to have it. While this meant that sometimes you would find a Unique item that was better set for a different class, it was still useful in the fact that it was then available for you to trade (or in Diablo 3’s case sell).
Legendary items at least in terms of Weapons, also need a huge DPS increase (also giving a DPS increase to lower level legendaries which would be considered “amazing” given its item level to make lower level legendaries useful for leveling and creating new characters).
It’s not very hard to understand that given the current structure that Blizzard is currently using, that since our overall Damage comes from a weapons Damage, if a Legendary has amazing stats, but the Damage is so low that it drops our DPS by 5k (just as an example) we’re simply not going to use it. Instead, we’re going to opt for the Magic or Rare item with little to no stats, but gives us that overall damage boost.

If the Legendaries were fantastic when we found them, no one I think would be that hurt from the low drop rates. But instead as things are currently, you wait a very long time to get a item that rarely drops, only to then become frustrated and disappointed by your find.
I hope this comes into play with the changes that Blizzard will make in the future to Legendaries.

Other Small Changes

Add a Secondary Gear Swap for MF gear.

Just like it sounds, like in Diablo 2, when you had a secondary switch for your weapons (usually a Ist’d Ali Baba/Gull and a Ist’d Monarch) Diablo 3 should have a switch, for your entire gear set.

This will level the playing field for everyone, and allow anyone and everyone that wants to use a secondary Magic Find set to do so. The Penalty for using this obviously, will be that you will also have to keep this set of items in your Inventory, and thus reducing your Inventory space as a full Magic Find set will take up almost a full row of space in your Inventory.
Now, everyone will have the ability to hit a button and switch their gear near the end of a fight, and those that don’t want to use it, won’t have to. It’s a solution that is available to everyone, and makes it so switching MF gear isn’t for only the “hardcore” people that want to go through the tedious task of switching all their gear mid fight.

End Game Related Stuff:

End game for this game seems to be largely based around PvP currently (which we obviously also don’t have yet) and it seems that a lot of Blizzards eggs are currently in the PvP “Basket”. However, I also know that there are some people that don’t entirely care for doing PVP related content, and so for those people we need to have a PvE alternative.
What I propose is a 10 round “dungeon” or Gauntlet style area which you can both solo, or team up with friends to do as well. In this 10 round dungeon, it would basically be waves or randomly generated packs of monsters Elites and normal alike, that would increase in difficulty as you move up in rounds. Monsters in act 4 will be more difficult than act 1, act 5 more difficult than 4 etc.
Deaths will not be allowed in this 10 round gauntlet, so once you’re dead, you’re out. This means if you’re playing solo, you will have to start all over again. However, if you’re playing in a team, they can still complete the gauntlet without you, and you can still acquire the reward at the end should they finish the gauntlet.

So, what is the reward?
The reward at the end of the gauntlet could be a randomly chosen, skill upgrade. I think this has been mentioned before, but almost in passing so I thought I'd try and put a bit more thought into it. For offensive skills it could be an increase of 2% damage to that skill, for defensive skills it could be an extra 2% armor, etc. Obviously this would have to be decided by Blizzard, as I’m just speaking in general math right now. Also, a skill would be able to be upgraded multiple times causing the skills to now have “tiers” almost like they did in Diablo 2 (kind of how you were able to put skill points into the skills you wanted to use).

Because these would be a randomly chosen skill at the end of the Gauntlet, you would obviously need to do it repeatedly in order to really upgrade any of your chosen skills.

This will give people something to farm, as well as making other lower damage builds more viable, and open up newer play styles, as well as giving people a new way to experiment with their given skills.

This will also open up a long lost, but well loved item Affix, the amazing “+1 to *insert skill here*.” This could be a new affix for armor and weapons and when added to certain legendaries (with an added DPS increase) things that we would actually want to use!
The randomly generated skill upgrade would also give avid PvPers something to farm in order to get an advantage during PVP.
Reply Quote
All valid points and well thought out
Reply Quote
I'm going to bump this. I think it's worth checking out, and I've waited a while. So BUMP!
Reply Quote
There is a "+1 to skill X" equivalent on some items. The equivalent is those items that add damage to a specific skill.

Some good ideas here, especially about improving legendaries and increasing their drop rate.
Reply Quote
There is a "+1 to skill X" equivalent on some items. The equivalent is those items that add damage to a specific skill.

Some good ideas here, especially about improving legendaries and increasing their drop rate.

That's definitely a good point, I honestly completely forgot about that!

Though with the idea of creating a tiered system for skills through upgrades in the gauntlet would definitely change that to instead being "%X Damage to X Skill" it would just be an increase level for said skills since each level would gradually increase skill damage depending upon its level. I think the "+1 to Skill X" affix on items would be better, as that's something you could potentially stack to increase the damage of a current skill, since the way it is currently, that's not really something you can do.

This would also allow people to experiment with builds that aren't actively used currently as they would be able to upgrade the damage of lesser used skills and possibly make them viable.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply Quote
I absolutely agree with all of this! Actually before reading this I was thinking to myself last night. What's the point of white items? Being able to craft with them would be good, however my thought was about the cracked and damaged White items. Why not allow us to use our blacksmith to fix these items and possibly gain some stat roles depending on how bad they are damaged to begin with. It's something that I will never see because it would be rather involving for both Blizzard and the player, but it's been 2 months since I've even used my blacksmith. A lot of people I'm sure use the BS to break down items for their materials, but other than that how much do we really use him? Seems like a waste of money to even level him up, since I've never really benefited from anything he made or I had something better by the time I was at the needed level to use something.

Hexxiss, you're right! I'm one of the people who will never use PvP. So, we need better real estate to traverse. The idea of a dungeon or gauntlet is great! However, when I think dungeon i instantly start to become claustrophobic. Especially when enemies have arcane, plagued, and desecrate. So open areas would be nice or....or perhaps a quick fix till we get that gauntlet would be to add more elite's to an act that we already finished, a lot more. I'm reminded of one game in Act 1 where everywhere I turned there was an elite, champion, or rare. I had a lot of fun farming that game and the thought of there being more elite's than usual kept me in the game till then end of the act.

Finally, my beef with loot would have to be this: Why am I getting level 51 items? In Inferno nothing should be under Level 59. I, and I say, I would rather have the drop rate knocked back down to what it was originally and have lvl 59 as the cutoff, than have more drops of low level items.
Reply Quote
I absolutely agree with all of this! Actually before reading this I was thinking to myself last night. What's the point of white items? Being able to craft with them would be good, however my thought was about the cracked and damaged White items. Why not allow us to use our blacksmith to fix these items and possibly gain some stat roles depending on how bad they are damaged to begin with. It's something that I will never see because it would be rather involving for both Blizzard and the player, but it's been 2 months since I've even used my blacksmith. A lot of people I'm sure use the BS to break down items for their materials, but other than that how much do we really use him? Seems like a waste of money to even level him up, since I've never really benefited from anything he made or I had something better by the time I was at the needed level to use something.

Hexxiss, you're right! I'm one of the people who will never use PvP. So, we need better real estate to traverse. The idea of a dungeon or gauntlet is great! However, when I think dungeon i instantly start to become claustrophobic. Especially when enemies have arcane, plagued, and desecrate. So open areas would be nice or....or perhaps a quick fix till we get that gauntlet would be to add more elite's to an act that we already finished, a lot more. I'm reminded of one game in Act 1 where everywhere I turned there was an elite, champion, or rare. I had a lot of fun farming that game and the thought of there being more elite's than usual kept me in the game till then end of the act.

Finally, my beef with loot would have to be this: Why am I getting level 51 items? In Inferno nothing should be under Level 59. I, and I say, I would rather have the drop rate knocked back down to what it was originally and have lvl 59 as the cutoff, than have more drops of low level items.

I definitely like the idea of the gauntlet being more open, though I do know that there would be a lot of people that also do like farming in a "dungeon" environment, but I don't see why the gauntlet couldn't consist of several different waves of creatures, over several rounds within several different environments in order to force people to be a bit more diverse with their play styles. I think that would be a great idea!

I definitely agree, I don't understand the logic behind having Inferno drop lower level items either. The fact is, you need to be level 60 just to enter Inferno. While I can see some lower level items in Inferno being upgrades for a fresh new 60, the fact of the matter as it stands right now is it still takes forever to find a decent upgrade in Inferno because of the RNG. If Blizzard made it so Inferno could only drop items level 59 -63 I really don't see it being a huge problem, since I've found plenty of items ranging from 61-63 that have been absolutely terrible. I'd say out of 3 butcher runs, and my inventory filled with rares I may find 3 even remotely useable items.

Great ideas Crossboss!
Reply Quote
Well, this thread is so right, usable white item, usefull blacksmith, specific stat on specific gear (no more strengh cloak), real set and legendary item, and the godly endgame, that zone where you can boost your skills, all of that is awesome.

For your engame idea, let's mix it with the endless dungeon. endless dungeon can serve to a ladder purpose for people that want to compete, but can stand for your skills improvement idea : at the 5th stage you get a small boost on a random skill, like 1%, on the 10th stage, you get a 3% boost on a random skill, and 15th, which is very difficult to go, you get a 3% boost on a chosen skill, with a final cap at 25% or something, or diminushing return, or after 25%, you can only receive 1% on the 15th stage, cap to 35, etc...

With that, even people with low-end item can upgrade their skill, to finally manage to get on the 15th stage etc. Can even imagine other reward for 20th+ stage.
Reply Quote
I would like to see a "horde" type game option, waves of enemies, each wave a little harder than the previous keep coming till you die. It's very fun in other games and especially with friends.
Start players off with basic armor/weapons and get upgrades as you go.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Well it took them 4-6 weeks to get clearance to respond to the community. So, I'm assuming any in-game changes will be in development for months.

Y'know, until they get the auction house in tip-top shape. And, the auction house is balanced. Also, when the auction house traffic picks back up and 15% of RMAH transactions pick up. Plus, I think they wanted to add more search options to the auction house.

I might be wrong, but I think they wanted to tweak the auction house so we can cancel auctions that don't sell in the first hour, so we can relist them onto the real-money auction house and get them sold faster.
Reply Quote
These ideas should be implemented into the game somehow. They are very nicely thought out.
Reply Quote
08/02/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Wolollo
Well it took them 4-6 weeks to get clearance to respond to the community. So, I'm assuming any in-game changes will be in development for months.

Assume much? 1.04 has been in the works for a while now. There are drastic changes coming. Also... by your logic no one should ever suggest changes and updates because "they will be in development for months"...

Y'know, until they get the auction house in tip-top shape. And, the auction house is balanced. Also, when the auction house traffic picks back up and 15% of RMAH transactions pick up. Plus, I think they wanted to add more search options to the auction house.

Balance the auction house? How so? They aren't waiting for the traffic to pick up to refine the features of the AH. If you actually read blue posts instead of just QQing about how often they are you would know from Morhaine's post that more search features are coming, and a blue even gave more detail about specifics, mainly more search filters and higher min values.

I might be wrong, but I think they wanted to tweak the auction house so we can cancel auctions that don't sell in the first hour, so we can relist them onto the real-money auction house and get them sold faster.

Huh? They want us to cancel auctions on the GAH to put them on the RMAH because they will sell faster? Where did you get this from? Items sell faster on the RMAH? No. Again, if you actually read the blue posts instead of making comments about how "slow" they are to do so... you would know they are looking into a feature to cancel auctions that have no bids. This has nothing to do with letting you post them on the RMAH. You could post them back on the GAH, trade them in trade chat, or post them on RMAH. Basically, it will let you free up a slot on the AH from an item you know will probably not sell or that you listed at a too high price.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock

Assume much? 1.04 has been in the works for a while now. There are drastic changes coming. Also... by your logic no one should ever suggest changes and updates because "they will be in development for months"...
Sarcasm is lost on you

edit: A blue said in a post today that they are trying to implement a cancel feature to any items that do not have a bid placed on it so the item can be relisted. If you haven't read any or all of the Blue posts today, then you are talking out of your !@#. Because about 80% of any info given has addressed the auction house
Edited by Wolollo#1803 on 8/2/2012 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Why is this?
Currently, white items are useless. They’re currently not even worth picking up to vendor, as they really don’t sell for very much, and with the frequency that blues currently drop, it really makes no sense to collect regular white and grey items. These need to have a purpose, a reason to be picked up, and they also need to be FUN to search for.

I agree white items need to be improved in some way. For instance; I noticed how some whites have an adjective explaining the quality of the item before the actual name of the item. It would be sweet if certain quality white items either sold for a good amount like for 5 times the amount of a yellow, say 5k, or that could have increased potential for giving a rare crafting component when smelted. Those are just 2 thoughts to how white items could actually be worth picking up. Just as there are good blues and good yellows; there should be good whites.
Reply Quote
07/13/2012 11:00 AMPosted by Hexxiss

For weapons you might be on to something... it would allow you to roll 6 affix iLvl 63 weapons. You can already roll 6 affix iLvl 63 armors given the plans, so having the white items wouldn't really change anything... you can already roll the iLvl 63 armors.

2. Class Specific Items need to roll class specific stats GUARENTEED.

I don't agree. Until you have seen actual statistics on how many people are getting good rolls, we really don't know if rolls are too low or not. Blizzard does. I like the random rolls... however maybe for class specific items... they cannot roll other class specific stats? (This may already be in there) You can't make every class specific item roll class stats guaranteed because then they just become to go to item and the rares for the same slots will get push under the rug (then if you get a good roll on a rare, that roll is devalued by the class specific ones that more often get those good rolls, it hurts the value of getting a good roll on rares). The class specific stats are not there to give you a garunteed item, they are there to limit which class can use that item.

3. Certain set item drop rates need to change

You cannot take someone's personal experience and make a generalize estimate about drop rates. If you check the AH at any time it is full of set and legendary items. Blizzard can see how often people are getting sets and legendary items, they know if they are too low or not based on the population of people playing and it can be adjusted. But I really doubt anyone has any valid statistics proving drop rates are too low. It would be nice if you got drops all the time but then that would destroy the point of the game, it would destroy the coolness factor of getting good drops. Blizzard has to balance the drop rates, and they have the tools and statistics to do it.

Other Small Changes

Add a Secondary Gear Swap for MF gear.

I know you say it would be optional... but that option would not be optional. It would basically be a "Elite/Boss is about to die so hit this button, button". You would be completely gimping yourself if you didn't use that "swap all gear" button. You could buy a bunch of cheap MF gear, with 300% mF, and swap RIGHT before the boss died because one button would do that. This would be a REQUIREMENT for all players to do this. Right now... MF swapping is pretty much required to get high MF if you have crappy MF gear. But most people don't do it because it is actually hard to swap out all your gear in a couple seconds fighting an elite and not dying. Having ONE button to do that instantly... that would be a required feature everyone use if they wanted to keep up with everyone else using that feature.

End Game Related Stuff:

I don't really understand why people keep mentioning a "gauntlet" type feature... this game is already one big gauntlet. You kill endless monsters in the dungeons, there are random elites and champions and they randomly drop loot. Are you just saying you are too lazy to run around a dungeon? You just want all the monsters and elites to just walk to you? I mean, it sounds cool in principle... but that would easily become the only option... why would you random search dungeons and run around the dungeons when you can just do a gauntlet where you just stand still and all the mobs come to you? Not to mention you can upgrade your skills? Who would do the old way of playing? The end game would just go from hunting dungeons to standing in a room? I don't think thats a good way to do it.

Although I do agree with the upgrading skills. There needs to be some way they impletement making skills better, through some sort of "synergy rune" system. Where you use "points" to make your runes better with other runes or something. I am also for removing the leveling cap. A player should be able to build up his character through skills and levels and get into the best farming areas. Right now you have to get the best gear to farm the best areas. If I am not getting lucky with gear, I should be able to out skill and level the content. "Hard" or "Progression" content doesn't feel right in Diablo, to me. Make the level cap 99 and add a way to make skill runes better past level 60, and make inferno elite/champions more skill based, not number/gear based. Right now... the stuff that is supposed to be "dodgeable" or "avoidable" damage isn't that... everything a elite/champion can do to you is just damage that you have to acquire the right gear to "tank" the damage. It isn't based on skill at any point. I can do a lot of builds... and in Inferno it doesn't feel like my build is even doing anything... it's all my gear... I either have the vit/res/armor/dps or i don't. My build seems completely irrelevant.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]