Diablo® III

Since everyone's demanding it, it's official.

Diablo 3 is no longer canon, it is now fanfic.

Since far too many people compare the stories of D1 and D2 to D3, and because they have so many conflicts in storyline, a choice needs to be made on which stories are canon. On behalf of everyone who is concerned with maintaining a quality storyline in what is a good game franchise, Diablo 3 needs to be de-canonized.

For that reason, I am issuing the declaration: Diablo 3 and the Book of Cain are no longer canon.

That means, among other things: Leah never existed, Diablo was beaten twice by an unnamed hero, Diablo is dead, Mephisto is dead, Aidan never existed, Adria was just a misunderstood witch, Tyrael never fell, the Heavens were never invaded, and the Skeleton King and the Butcher and Izual were also killed by an unnamed hero. This list can go on.

This is the official declaration.

/sign
Reply Quote
I sense sarcasm... But I'm going to pretend you're serious, in which case I'm on board.

/sign
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You can't make anything "official" unless you're one of the head honchos at Blizzard.

Are you going to try to buy out the company? If so, good luck!
Reply Quote
07/11/2012 06:33 PMPosted by Xanth
I sense sarcasm... But I'm going to pretend you're serious, in which case I'm on board.

I'm serious.

07/11/2012 06:37 PMPosted by Egrem
You can't make anything "official" unless you're one of the head honchos at Blizzard.

Of course I can. You're watching it right now.
Reply Quote
Oh, look, another player with entitlement issues and a vastly inflated ego.
/not signed
/proposal rejected
/proposal rolled up into a cigar and smoked
Reply Quote
I'm curious to know what you would have done for the story if you had the position.
Reply Quote
/sign

This is just like the Matrix all over again. It was so awesome, I wish they'd have made a sequel or two.
Reply Quote
Or the second Highlander movie. It was so ridiculously bad that they just simply ignored it and moved on.
Reply Quote
/signed
Reply Quote
Does anyone actually have a problem with the storyline, or just how they have done it? Like their failure with making Belial seem like a good liar, Azmodan a great tactician and Diablo disturbing in any way. I don't think I have any problems with the actual story, just how they have done it.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 09:26 AMPosted by AscendedOne
Does anyone actually have a problem with the storyline, or just how they have done it? Like their failure with making Belial seem like a good liar, Azmodan a great tactician and Diablo disturbing in any way. I don't think I have any problems with the actual story, just how they have done it.

Imagine the hype behind this game being like Lord of the Rings. Epic story, epic gameplay, years in development.

To fairly compare promised versus delivered, we'd get Peter Jackson reading the script to a Scooby Doo episode.

"I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those darn nephalem..."
Edited by Melancholy#1609 on 7/12/2012 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually, I believe all the official hype was about the gameplay. Nobody promised a good story.
Reply Quote
No because all three stories arent that great.

The devs are right on one thing, those rose tinted glasses of yours about the D1 and D2 storylines are 3 inches thick and are beet red. You like the tone of D1 and D2 because they provided the very simplistic and rather sad storyline in a much darker light.

Honestly, forget they are stories, its much easier to remember them as Hack and Slash ARPGs.
Reply Quote
Imagine the hype behind this game being like Lord of the Rings. Epic story, epic gameplay, years in development.

To fairly compare promised versus delivered, we'd get Peter Jackson reading the script to a Scooby Doo episode.

"I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those darn nephalem..."

I don't think it is THAT bad...... Regardless, do you have ANY problem with the events that happen in the game or just how they are displayed?

I don't see any problems with the story on paper, and all that would be decided would be if the events were cannon. I personally have no problem with the events during the game being cannon. But honestly, what do you expect to accomplish with this thread?
Edited by Ascendedone#1637 on 7/12/2012 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't think it is THAT bad...... Regardless, do you have ANY problem with the events that happen in the game or just how they are displayed?

I don't see any problems with the story on paper, and all that would be decided would be if the events were cannon. I personally have no problem with the events during the game being cannon. But honestly, what do you expect to accomplish with this thread?

To answer your question, yes, I have problems with the events that happen, not just how those events are displayed.

The game goes out of its way to tell me that the things I experienced in Diablo 1 didn't happen. That part where I learned all about Leoric and his son Albrecht? Didn't happen... Apparently he was my dad and brother, respectively, and the experience was a lot more personal than I remember. That part where Adria gave me awesome advice and helped me destroy Diablo? Didn't happen... Apparently she was on Diablo's side, which means that anything she told me had to be a deliberate attempt to throw me off track. Too bad all of her advice backfired, and I ended up killing my kid brother anyway.

Diablo 3 tells me that Diablo 1 isn't canon. The two games are mutually exclusive. So because they can't both be canon, I've decided to join the movement that says that D1 is canon, and D3 isn't.

Now... Your other question. What will this accomplish? Nothing. It doesn't/couldn't/won't change anything. But it's strangely the#@#!utic and empowering. Now that LittleDisco has declared that Diablo 3 isn't canon, I can stop being offended by Blizzard's blatant disregard for their own lore, and take comfort in knowing that it's just a bad fanfic by an author that didn't do his homework, and not actual Diablo lore. I sleep a little easier for knowing this.

EDIT: The edited word is the-ra-peutic. The language filter on these forums might be a little TOO sensitive.
Edited by GrubHooligan#1227 on 7/12/2012 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Xanth
Now that LittleDisco has declared that Diablo 3 isn't canon, I can stop being offended by Blizzard's blatant disregard for their own lore, and take comfort in knowing that it's just a bad fanfic by an author that didn't do his homework, and not actual Diablo lore.
Oh thank the Great Dragon! You had me worried there for a minute..
Reply Quote
The game goes out of its way to tell me that the things I experienced in Diablo 1 didn't happen. That part where I learned all about Leoric and his son Albrecht? Didn't happen... Apparently he was my dad and brother, respectively, and the experience was a lot more personal than I remember. That part where Adria gave me awesome advice and helped me destroy Diablo? Didn't happen... Apparently she was on Diablo's side, which means that anything she told me had to be a deliberate attempt to throw me off track. Too bad all of her advice backfired, and I ended up killing my kid brother anyway.

Diablo 3 tells me that Diablo 1 isn't canon. The two games are mutually exclusive. So because they can't both be canon, I've decided to join the movement that says that D1 is canon, and D3 isn't.

Extactly where does it say or suggest stuff in D1 wasn't canon? Adria may have not been in league with diablo intill after D1, it doesn't suggest that she was with him intill after she sees Diablo in your charcter.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Xanth

Diablo was pretty open-ended as far as character background went, which left plenty of room for the Warrior to be some bastard son of the king who didn't keep in touch with his father until fecal matter started hitting the fan. Adria did not start working with Diablo until Aidan had become the Dark Wanderer, in fact she was working for a cult of Belial who would definitely want to put Diablo down, so any advice she gave you before that was legitimate.

Diablo 3 tells me that Diablo 1 isn't canon. The two games are mutually exclusive. So because they can't both be canon, I've decided to JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON that says that D1 is canon, and D3 isn't.

Cool story bro. Too bad this 'movement' is a hundred people tops.
Edited by Wurg#1796 on 7/12/2012 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Wurg

Diablo was pretty open-ended as far as character background went, which left plenty of room for the Warrior to be some bastard son of the king who didn't keep in touch with his father until fecal matter started hitting the fan. Adria did not start working with Diablo until Aidan had become the Dark Wanderer, in fact she was working for a cult of Belial who would definitely want to put Diablo down, so any advice she gave you before that was legitimate.

Diablo 3 tells me that Diablo 1 isn't canon. The two games are mutually exclusive. So because they can't both be canon, I've decided to JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON that says that D1 is canon, and D3 isn't.

Cool story bro. Too bad this 'movement' is a hundred people tops.

make that 101, the story was just bad, it was like a saturday morning cartoon and the antagonists were only the start.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]