Diablo® III

PvP in D3 will be fundamentally diff from D2

I think everyone knows by now that PvP will be arena based, and that world PvP will not be reintroduced. However, many people still have misconceptions about how PvP will work in Diablo 3. I've been to every single Blizzcon and have been following this game intensely for over 4 years, so let me give you the lowdown of how it's going to work.

The first thing that people have to realize is that there is NOT going to be any 1v1s or 2v2s. Jay Wilson has passionately, firmly, and repeatedly stated (over the course of several Blizzcons and dozens of interviews) that he believes that the character classes can never be balanced due to their inherently different skills/playstyles. He also believes that team on team battles is the only way to lessen this inherent imbalance. There's no changing his mind on this matter, and unless he suddenly did a total 180 in the past year or so, this is exactly how PvP will most likely remain in the current implementation.

Secondly, PvP will NOT be based off of rounds, with fallen enemies staying dead until the next round. It will be a timed deathmatch mode, with anyone that's killed being immediately respawned in the fight with little to no delay. Deaths will not matter (other than giving kills to the other side), and the team with the most kills at the end of 10 minutes is declared the winner. Timed deathmatch will most likely be the only game mode for PvP.

Third, there will NOT be a ladder/visible rating system of any kind. Jay Wilson has repeatedly declared that he is adamantly against this and any sort of move that might turn the game into an e-sport. He has also stated that he will not balance skills for PvP, and that he intends for PvP to be strictly a "for fun" mode only. A background ELO system will match/rank players according to their skill level, but a visible system of this ELO will not be shown to players.

If you're expecting PvP to be a mode that you check into once in while for a change of pace, then you'll be fairly pleased. However, if you're expecting PvP to be an avenue where you can show off your skills/gear, a hud for true competition, or a long term end game option, then you'll be sorely mistaken.

Edit:
07/11/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Bashiok
Honestly if crit damage is a good as I think it will be, we'll be one shotting each other in the PvP arena. All the +AR won't mean much.

Maybe! We'll see. It's team death match, so you keep respawning after each death. Just that fact alone we kind of expect it to be a bit of a meat grinder.

So yea, looks like it's confirmed that PvP will pretty much be timed, team death match with auto-respawning on death.
Edited by RandiCandi#1529 on 7/12/2012 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Who wants to PvP in a crappy, pay to win game?

Honestly...
Reply Quote
the only reason why im still playing d3 is for the pvp...if they screw up on this i would definitely quit lol
Reply Quote
have they started d4 yet?
Reply Quote

Honestly...
Reply Quote
So.

It sounds like it's just a "lol let's play some PvP" for an hour and then never touch it again.

Yet, they're telling us that it's going to be our endgame and it's taking them extra months to develop?

This is seriously the biggest joke I've ever heard.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 07:07 AMPosted by Pinkah
the only reason why im still playing d3 is for the pvp...if they screw up on this i would definitely quit lol

Well see you later then.What the OP stated is the way it is.This was stated Long ago in many posts.Dont see why ppl keep churching up pvp to be a big deal in this game.It will be a disappointment for you ladder hoping epeen players.
Edited by Burglekutt#1835 on 7/12/2012 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Honestly...

Honestly I think people font realize u don't need to deposite money to have a balance on rmah. Believe it or not you can sell things on it and use the cash to purchase items... D2jsp

On topic I hope there will be an option to party up and queue pvp, if not on release a patch down the road.
Reply Quote

Honestly...

Honestly I think people font realize u don't need to deposite money to have a balance on rmah. Believe it or not you can sell things on it and use the cash to purchase items... D2jsp

On topic I hope there will be an option to party up and queue pvp, if not on release a patch down the road.

I don't think you understand that this game is pay to win and that destroys any chance at decent PvP.

Besides, the rest of the game is crap anyways. Weak story, weak loot, weak combat. Can you imagine PvP with the horrible hitboxes?

D3 fails on almost every level. But yeah enjoy that PvP...

If Jay Wilson (let's be real here, Jay Wilson is off in the Bahamas or somewhere), or rather simply, the devs decide not to do so, they'll simply be killing off much more of their fan base. Though, I personally don't mind. If you're good enough, people will know your name no matter what. Diablo 2 had the legendary duelers, the "friend" that would wreck any duel game, and whatever. The mysteriousness because such wouldn't be a bad thing, so I'm kind of neutral on this point.

While D2 PvP was fun (it really was), it was nothing more than a gear contest. You really though you guys had skills? lol. D3 PvP will be right up your alley. You can pay for "skills".
Edited by doob#1197 on 7/12/2012 7:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While D2 PvP was fun, it was nothing more than a gear contest. You really though you guys had skills? lol. D3 PvP will be right up your alley. You can pay for "skills".
Naw man, D2 pvp was awesome and highly skill based.

Most duelers had the same gear anyways, since uniques were cheap. The more wealthy duelers could afford perfect lifers, perfect uniques, and perm 08 rares, but even these hardly gave them much of a stat advantage (maybe ~5-10%). A skilled dueler would win every time against bad duelers, and you often had to master techniques such as name-locking/tping, triwhirling, and desynching to be truly successful.

That said, there was still some imbalance between a lot of builds, as some were a lot more viable than others, *cough* hammerdin *cough*.
Edited by RandiCandi#1529 on 7/12/2012 7:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Undead Rogue
07/12/2012 07:01 AMPosted by RandiCandi
a timed deathmatch mode, with anyone that's killed being immediately respawned in the fight with little to no delay.

How imaginative.
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 07:31 AMPosted by XxDragon
Ice Blast vs Ice Blast sorc duels, each having 200 FCR and TMCBP mod. Epic duels I've had/seen here. Gear check? I've slaughtered kids while in MF gear while using the skill blizzard. Diablo 2 PvP was about skill, not gear, sir.

TMC was a blast =)
Edited by RandiCandi#1529 on 7/12/2012 7:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
Bump
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 05:48 PMPosted by RandiCandi
Bump
Reply Quote
Lets also remember that melee attacks hit as soon as the animation starts in D3. Which means no dodging. In pvp. Just think about that for a moment.

Yep, PvP is going to be a straight-up gear comparison. Fun times.
Edited by Squirrelloid#1314 on 7/13/2012 1:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]