Diablo® III

Message from Mike Morhaime

07/19/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
One other common topic we’ve seen in the forums is the always-connected experience, and the perception that the online requirement is nothing but an ineffective form of copy protection that has already been cracked. While we’ve never said that this requirement guarantees that there will be no cheating or game cracks, it does help us battle those problems (we have not found any fully functional cracks). More important to us is that the online requirement is critical for the long-term integrity of the game experience. I fully understand the desire to play Diablo III offline; however, Diablo III was designed from the beginning to be an online game that can be enjoyed with friends, and the always-online requirement is the best way for us to support that design. The effectiveness of the online elements -- including the friends list and cross-game communication; co-op matchmaking; persistent characters that you can use by yourself, with others, and in PvP; and some of our customer support, service, and security components -- is tied directly to the online nature of the game. These and other online-enabled features are essential to our design for Diablo III. That said, there are still improvements we believe we can make to expand the online experience and make co-op play even more rewarding, and this will remain one of our priorities moving forward. Overall, while there are some downsides to the online-only approach, I still believe this was the best long-term decision for the game

The mandatory on-line feature is the worst long-term decision you've made for the game. It is because of this feature that the game was unplayable at launch and is unplayable every time you perform server maintenance. You should either (1) refund your customers a percentage of the license fee they paid for Diablo 3 each time there is server downtime and the product is unplayable, or (2) integrate an offline feature so that your customers can play the game when the servers are unavailable; otherwise you're cheating your customers with a defective product. Ask your attorneys to again help you craft another vapid non-response to your customers' complaints about how your copy protection strategy is hurting customer experience.
Edited by paladinjoshu#1840 on 7/31/2012 1:36 PM PDT
The mandatory on-line feature is the worst long-term decision you've made for the game.

I have to agree 100% with this comment. It is July 31 and the servers have been down all day. Have you guys ever heard of redundancy.

If your house or your car needed this much maintenance, you would dump it in a heartbeat. We don't have that option because you vultures demand the full licensing fee up front.

The only game improvements you have been making are to feed the auction house because it is your cash cow. You have no regard for your paying customers whatsoever.
Edited by RufDog#1833 on 7/31/2012 1:48 PM PDT
I feel that the biggest problem with the game is that it's simply too easy. Hardcore is the only saving grace of the entire game. Although it still requires using the auction house, it's much more immersive and has a much higher replay value. The costs of dying in softcore should be a lot stiffer, such as losing gold or levels.
I'd like to put my 2 cents in not that it really matters anyway, im a badass*
Edited by Saydon#1391 on 7/31/2012 1:54 PM PDT
fix the servers bud
Thanks.
c mon get the server right and get ppl who know how to do maintainance and of course on time.
Mike,

Why I see and appreciate that early need for maintence and updates I would urge your team to do these in acceptable windows. Having a planned updated start at 3 PST and go to 11 am PST is poor IT management. I use to manage a large IT group for a fortune 500 company and would never allow my team to do this and inturput the thousands needing their tools, much less the millions that bought this game.

Upgrades and maintenence needed and appreciated. But time them better and keep the forum updated real time when they start or stop outside the posted window. I think you are loosing the battle for purchaser respect by not following these simple rules.

Good luck improving the experience for all.
Been playing since diablo 1 love the game and thanks for your continued hard work in keeping it going in a fun and new direction, looking forward to the updates. Thanks again!
To respond to your online only comments, today is an example of why I think it is a bad idea. Today you are claiming to have the servers back up after 13 hours of down time. That is an unacceptable length of down time. I had a 7 hour long play window all of which is in your down time. I am sure there were other ways to accomplish your anti-piracy goal other than to make the game 100% online. It could have phoned home periodically. At a minimum you need to start your fixes earlier. If things go wrong consider just putting things back the way they were, then figure out what went wrong and do the patch in a reasonable amount of time on another day. I really think you need to keep down time short and to non-prime-time. Extending down time to 6:00 PM is not acceptable.
Blizzard you need to upgrade your systems this 8 hour maintenance should not exist anymore there are other games like League of Legends that has milions of players and no downtime at all, patch day servers are unavailable for 1~2 hours and thats it.
All I'm asking for is End game content you give us that and everyone will be sooooo much more happier, that's all people want in this game.
I agree with what those above have stated. The insane amount of downtime and server issues along with so many other issues with D3 are very frustrating. I just wanna say that after the slap in the face to the that mass effect 3 was I have sworn to never again buy another game from ea/bioware. please guys dont go down this same path and drive at least a some of your harddcore fans so far away that they will never come back...
Edited by Nemeroth5150#1113 on 7/31/2012 2:15 PM PDT
Thank you Mr. Morhaime!

Great to hear something/anything from you guys. It often feels like you have abandoned us with Diablo 3 in its current form, moving on to bigger and better things.

Please keep listening to the feedback here in the forums, there are many great posts mixed in with the bad that are made here every day.

Many of the people on these forums that are posting feedback (positive and negative) do so because they really do want Diablo 3 to be great, and care enough to offer their own perspective on how the game can be improved.

I think having improved communication with the community would be a great start to fixing things for the better. Lets make sure that the Devs and Fans are on the same page. Lets start a dialogue, make Diablo 3 the game that we both want it to be.

Ok so I posted that in this thread almost 2 weeks ago...

Nothing has changed,
No significant blue posts, no dialogue, no follow up to the over 100 pages in this thread

Your lack of communication is embarrassing

As far as I am concerned anything you say or do now, will be too little too late.

You have lost a fan today
Diablo I, II and LOD all had off line capabilities, once again I sit with my LEGAL game sitting useless while the IT !@#$s decide to stop all play for even more hours on a game that I purchased.
Perhaps if Blizzard had real IT professionals you could develop an off-line possibility?

But it is apparent that those technical details are far beyond the limited capabilities of the current Blizzard IT staff.

So instead of saying you looked at maybe doing an off-line capability, perhaps you could be more honest and say "Errr, we can't figer that out"
RAWR I'M not happy derp.
Thank you Mr. Morhaime!

Great to hear something/anything from you guys. It often feels like you have abandoned us with Diablo 3 in its current form, moving on to bigger and better things.

Please keep listening to the feedback here in the forums, there are many great posts mixed in with the bad that are made here every day.

Many of the people on these forums that are posting feedback (positive and negative) do so because they really do want Diablo 3 to be great, and care enough to offer their own perspective on how the game can be improved.

I think having improved communication with the community would be a great start to fixing things for the better. Lets make sure that the Devs and Fans are on the same page. Lets start a dialogue, make Diablo 3 the game that we both want it to be.

Ok so I posted that in this thread almost 2 weeks ago...

Nothing has changed,
No significant blue posts, no dialogue, no follow up to the over 100 pages in this thread

Your lack of communication is embarrassing

As far as I am concerned anything you say or do now, will be too little too late.

You have lost a fan today
you really think they have the time to chat with you?
it ok with me on down time as long as we get the fixs that or need
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]