Diablo® III

Message from Mike Morhaime

90 Human Paladin
Fix the Inferno rare gear stats and item levels! I'm tired of seeing level 58 gear drop in Act 3 Inferno with disproportional stats or useless stats.
To people thinking patches only take 1h-2h in LOL, forget it!! I started playing LOL the first year it came out, and maintenance could shut down everything for about 12 to 20 hours for at least 2 years. It took them a lot of time to adjust and the same thing is gonna happen with blizzard. And don't forget that LOL is a simple game compared to D3.

You freak geeks try to understand that they might be doing their best to restart the servers!!

PATIENCE !

Ok so I posted that in this thread almost 2 weeks ago...

Nothing has changed,
No significant blue posts, no dialogue, no follow up to the over 100 pages in this thread

Your lack of communication is embarrassing

As far as I am concerned anything you say or do now, will be too little too late.

You have lost a fan today
you really think they have the time to chat with you?

I dont want them to chat with me, I want them to chat with the community.

This thread was a good start at acknowledging that the game is not perfect, but we didnt learn any new information. This long without any communication just makes it feel like marketing bull!@#$.

The community managers, the people whos job it is to bridge the gap between the player and the developer have pretty much abandoned the forums.

For all I know they are counting their money while they move their team over to work on Pandas™
This game pretty much set a record for longest work in progress. So many people talked and complained about how long it was taking to make Diablo3 theres no question about that. But thats fine the longer it takes to make the game means they must be really working on it. But there is 100% no reason why the PvP was not released with the game. Absolutley NONE. If class balancing is the reasoning then having the set back record that D3 was known for again leaves no reason for that to be. I would also have to say that I would bet most players interested in PvP would have much rather enjoyed any unbalanced / unpolished PvP content rahter than NONE at all! This game does not take very long to beat and item finding is fine, but at least having some crappy broken PvP gives a hint of a reason to want to find items! Thank You.
Dear Diablo Players,

Now that Diablo III has been out for two months, I would like to take a step back and discuss the launch, the feedback from the community, and talk about what the future holds for the game.

We’ve had an enormous amount of feedback since the launch. I speak for everyone at Blizzard when I say that we appreciate the passion and affection many of you have for the Diablo series. We truly believe “Every Voice Matters,” so I want to thank you for sharing your experiences in an effort to help us improve the game. Your support makes it possible for us to continue doing what we do, and we never take that for granted.

The launch week of Diablo III was memorable for many reasons -- some positive, and some not so positive. We were thrilled that Diablo III had the biggest PC-game launch ever, surpassing the lifetime sales of Cataclysm (the previous record holder for biggest PC-game launch) in a matter of weeks. We’ve been floored by the response.

However, the launch had many challenges as well. It has always been difficult to forecast how many players we will have. With World of Warcraft, it was a challenge to handle the immediate demand when we launched back in 2004, and that was just in North America. We eventually expanded to other regions and reached nearly 5 million players by the end of the first year, and there were a lot of growing pains with that. However, we’ve never gone from 0 to more than 6 million players across multiple continents within a few days with a brand-new game. For Diablo III, we looked at historical sales for Blizzard games and other top-selling PC games and watched preorder numbers. We even upped our estimates to ensure we had additional capacity, or so we thought. In the end, it just wasn’t enough, and that is something we will work hard to conquer for future releases.

In response to the immediate and overwhelming demand for the game, the team worked around the clock to support all regions, increase capacity, ship additional hardware to our datacenters, and troubleshoot and fix bugs as they sprang up. While things have by and large been running smoothly for several weeks now, various game-related issues have come up that we have either already responded to or are continuing to investigate (such as the latency issue some of you are experiencing) and make adjustments for. Rather than address every subject individually, I’ll just say that even as we work to address or resolve current issues, it’s always possible that further issues will crop up. We hope that our actions in the past have demonstrated that above all else, we’re committed to delivering an awesome game experience, and we hope you’ll have faith that we will continue to keep that commitment and respond to any new or outstanding issues quickly.

We are not satisfied with breaking launch records; we want people to continue playing and enjoying Blizzard games for a very long time. The Diablo III team has made an epic, entertaining, and beautiful gaming experience. That being said, we know that it isn’t perfect. Our teams are working hard to improve the game balance, build on our design, and listen to what players are saying to make it the best game it can be.

You’ve seen some of that work already in patch 1.0.3, and you’ll see additional improvements with patch 1.0.4. On the game balance front, this update will contain changes designed to further deliver on the team’s goal of promoting “build diversity,” with buffs to many rarely used, underpowered class abilities. Another topic we’ve seen actively discussed is the fact that better, more distinct Legendary items are needed. We agree. Patch 1.0.4 will also include new and improved Legendary items that are more interesting, more powerful, and more epic in ways you probably won’t be expecting.

We’re also working on a number of interface updates, including social improvements that will allow players to more easily view their friends’ achievements, more quickly join games, and more efficiently communicate with each other. In addition, we’ll be making updates to the auction house in the future to provide players with better information through tooltips and notices, offer improved search functionality, and more.

Regarding the real-money auction house, our primary goal for including this in the game was to provide convenience and peace of mind for those players who might otherwise turn to third-party services to buy items. Black market trading sites can put accounts at risk and create many customer service challenges. We felt that the players themselves also deserved the opportunity to benefit from the extra loot they found, as opposed to having all of the benefit go to the black market/illegal trading organizations. We know the auction house isn’t perfect, but with your help and feedback, we’ll be able to continue making it a better experience for those who choose to use it. On the flipside, we are also committed to ensuring you have a great experience with Diablo III without feeling like the auction house is mandatory, which was never our intention. Thank you for all the feedback about that.

One other common topic we’ve seen in the forums is the always-connected experience, and the perception that the online requirement is nothing but an ineffective form of copy protection that has already been cracked. While we’ve never said that this requirement guarantees that there will be no cheating or game cracks, it does help us battle those problems (we have not found any fully functional cracks). More important to us is that the online requirement is critical for the long-term integrity of the game experience. I fully understand the desire to play Diablo III offline; however, Diablo III was designed from the beginning to be an online game that can be enjoyed with friends, and the always-online requirement is the best way for us to support that design. The effectiveness of the online elements -- including the friends list and cross-game communication; co-op matchmaking; persistent characters that you can use by yourself, with others, and in PvP; and some of our customer support, service, and security components -- is tied directly to the online nature of the game. These and other online-enabled features are essential to our design for Diablo III. That said, there are still improvements we believe we can make to expand the online experience and make co-op play even more rewarding, and this will remain one of our priorities moving forward. Overall, while there are some downsides to the online-only approach, I still believe this was the best long-term decision for the game.

I know many of you are also looking forward to patch 1.1, our PvP update, which will provide new experiences and give you a whole new way to apply the skills you’ve picked up while battling demons. This patch will also build on the social and auction house changes I mentioned above, and the team will continue to fix bugs and further tune game balance as well.

We’re also working on a gameplay system that will provide players who have max-level, high-powered characters new goals to strive for as an alternative to the “item hunt.” We’re not ready to get into specifics just yet, but I can say that we’re actively taking your feedback into account as we plan out the future of the game.

As always, we appreciate your candor and passion. Your constructive feedback and thoughts are valuable -- they will continue to help us be a better company. I just want to reiterate that while we can’t claim to have ever shipped a perfect game, we are committed to supporting our games relentlessly and making improvements where we can. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Mike Morhaime

The most important thing you can do at this point is assign someone not involved with WoW to design the itemization and mechanics for the d3 expansions. It would also help a lot if this person actually liked d1 and d2.

You have a very large, vocal, and loyal fanbase who like earlier blizzard titles (warcraft 1 and 2, diablo 1 and 2, stracraft and broodwars, even the lost vikings), but who do not like or play WoW. Stop alienating us :(
D3 cannot be fixed by patching it. If you want to fix D3, start over.
Please:
- never release an unfinished game. test and check your stuff before selling. what was your QM thinking ?

- whatever you did with the drops and rolls, you shouldnt have changed that

- never promise things you wont keep anyway (diversity of viable builds/millions of them, game lenght of first complete clear -> 3 months etc. just dont tell such huge lies,

k?)

- even if itemhunting is what such games are about: dont ignore the way of obtaining the items

- you should have added ubertrist with baal, dia, meph as absolute endgame content including some really valuable and rare loot.

The AH has nothing to do with oldschool-social-trading, its just transactions everywhere. This makes trading plain and boring.

IMO this game has a great gameplay (the massive clicking and the fast paced battles ofc) compared to all other hack&slay games and thats cool. But all in all i am kinda disappointed. There were too many mistakes and there are still too many balancing issues (regarding classes, skills etc.) and the game is kinda short. Nothing i'd expect from any blizzard game. Most likely i would get the expansion of D3 depending on further patches and endgame content additions but....

D3/exp is the last blizzard game for me.

I almost hate myself for trusting into a company which seems not to care about their fans .
I promise, that wont happen again :).
This is the first game by blizzard that made me feel dissapointed, betrayed and ripped off ect. Once i hit inferno i could not help feeling pushed to use the AH. I would have to spend mind numbing hours grinding gold or use $$$. This game just feels like a cash grab. I wanted to hunt items not scan AH. Did blizzard not talk to anyone who was involved with the creation of the previous Diablo, Warcraft and starcraft games? anyway thanks for the years of great gaming. and good luck trying to make this into a game worthy of the blizzard name and the Diablo franchise.
07/31/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Sazon
This is the first game by blizzard that made me feel dissapointed, betrayed and ripped off ect. Once i hit inferno i could not help feeling pushed to use the AH. I would have to spend mind numbing hours grinding gold or use $$$. This game just feels like a cash grab. I wanted to hunt items not scan AH. Did blizzard not talk to anyone who was involved with the creation of the previous Diablo, Warcraft and starcraft games? anyway thanks for the years of great gaming. and good luck trying to make this into a game worthy of the blizzard name and the Diablo franchise.

Likewise, I feel it too
I don't really care to write an insightful critique of this iteration of the Diablo series. I think the main reason for this is that I am fairly certain that it would make no impact what so ever on this game due to it being, in my opinion, flawed to the very core. Plus, it was released so it has to be done right? Since, this is the famous Blizzard policy.

I know this is going to be buried and likely never seen but it makes me feel a little better in the writing of it. Diablo 2 was a fantastic game and fun social medium for me and so many others for many years and I was so looking forward to the rekindling. The excitement leading up to the release was so refreshing as I kind of felt like a kid on Christmas Eve again...

However, in short, What I received was an utterly awful game. In fact, it still boggles my mind to how this ever was considered fun by the developing staff much less allowed to hit the shelves. It is a total debasement of the series and an unrecognizabl mess. I will no longer blindly buy a Blizzard game based upon strength of franchise alone as pre-approved stamp of quality.

Mr. Morhaime, I assure you I am not alone in my feelings. Me along with all ten of my most hardcore Diablo friends, who I have know and gamed with for over a decade, have all left this game already... if that doesn't tell you how bad this game is then I don't know what to say to you.
Edited by Unbreakable#1121 on 7/31/2012 10:34 PM PDT
you don't understand, thanks for this first attempt of communication with your community, but really you miss something.
you say " team responsable of diablo 3 made good work, good story and good game.".
by written this, you prove that the ego of your company stay the same as before.
what we want is a blue post says " sorry for unfinished game. sorry to be the ones made that !@#$.
team devellopment is not fired, it's them who asked to be, and they crying whn asking. now they are on the parking and are gonna make a great seppuku to wash their honnor. and now every day we will listen to community and solve game's problem, not only RMAH problem."

ho yeah and be honest for only online.
the whole game is designed for multi ?
why can i played to it more than 150 hours alone, so ? the whole design of the game is AH and this crappy chat ? if i don't use this both functionnality ( which are OPTIONAL if i clearly understand your post ) it's a solo game.
sorry for english mistakes. and i will be thankful the day i'll see on newspapers "blizzard last game is a total lauch fail, nobody bought it" or " blizzard close his game departement. reconverting into production of plastics licorns."
Some quotes:

I've got a barb, wiz and DH all through Act 4 Inferno. I'm pretty sure every single piece of gear on all 3 characters came through AH. I have done countless farm sessions with all 3 characters with and without MF swapping in Acts 1, 2, and 3, and at the end of the night look back and view it as somewhat fun (although growing a little old at this point) but from a gearing up perspective, a total waste of time. The nice drops per time spent playing ratio is completely out of whack. Even swapping to MF gear getting my MF to 328% doesn't really make a noticeable difference. Like someone told me the other night, it improves your odds of a good drop, but it's like 2 out of a million chance instead of 1 out of a million.

I'm definitely not an advocate of every single thing you kill dropping a godly item, but for starters, there should be incentive to actually kill a boss. In all the time I've played, the bosses offer no better drops (usually worse) than regular elite packs.

Legendaries weren't even designed into the game with Inferno in mind. Inferno was an after thought and Legendaries weren't updated with that in mind, that's why you see legendaries capped at Level 61 and not 63.

Even on the fairly rare occassion you get a 63 item, it's like a once a week or month occurance where that lvl 63 item is actually a GOOD item, one that you would use.
… you quickly realize that to gear up to be able to play in Inferno at an enjoyable level, particularly Acts 2-4, AH is your only answer.

I've finally got to the point where I can honestly say I'm bored with the game. Lackluster drop rates are a huge part of that. Repetitive content is too, but that's a different topic, one for expansion talks.
Beldon

Here's the way this works:

Average players open the GAH, see items selling for 100+million gold.

Switches to RMAH, see items selling for $200+

Exits the game.
MANTiC0R3

I have put down the game for about 2 weeks now and could not care less if I go back. I noticed that each time I played I got progressively more bored of the game. When you beat the game about 50 times it gets so damn repetitive and now coupled with the fact that good drops are only found by Chinese farming companies makes this game kind of stupid.
10 years of development? What did they actually do? The framework for this game is exactly the same as Diablo 2. Anyone see the credits for this game - there is like 1000 people who "worked" on this game. How can the project manager for this game justify the budget allocations. I think I speak for everyone when I say this game is going to die out pretty fast. I for one just don't really care to play it anymore. I think I speak for all when I say there are much better alternatives.

I refuse to spend money - and lets be honest - the prices are absurd.

Damian

Mike,

Why I see and appreciate that early need for maintenance and updates I would urge your team to do these in acceptable windows. Having a planned updated start at 3 PST and go to 11 am PST is poor IT management. I used to manage a large IT group for a fortune 500 company and would never allow my team to do this and interrupt the thousands needing their tools, much less the millions that bought this game.

Upgrades and maintenance needed and appreciated. But time them better and keep the forum updated real time when they start or stop outside the posted window. I think you are loosing the battle for purchaser respect by not following these simple rules.

Good luck improving the experience for all.

L0rDkAos

Ok so I posted that in this thread almost 2 weeks ago...”

Nothing has changed,
No significant blue posts, no dialogue, no follow up to the over 100 pages in this thread

Your lack of communication is embarrassing

As far as I am concerned anything you say or do now, will be too little too late.

You have lost a fan today
Grimkor

To sum it up:

- Crappy loot-system
- No end-game content
- Prices on AH are rediculous
- Poor IT management
- Lack of communication
08/25/2011 09:40 AMPosted by Tom
So very excited
Anyone notice how he said that they were buffing legendaries, but..... not increasing the drop rate. So even though there will be powerful legendaries you wont find them :). As Borat would say "you will never get this, you will never get this." But without the "one day he did get this"
your game sucks , I hate it and your development team. and if you are to ban me / delete my messages for having an opinion then so be it . I hate this new development team blizzard sucks I shall never buy another blizzard game developed by this team / jay wilson ever again.
Nothing is happening in real Mr. Morhaime. Your words are empty.

Who will come next? Community fanboi bandit #564654564 ?
07/19/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
Overall, while there are some downsides to the online-only approach, I still believe this was the best long-term decision for the game.
I.E. Blizzard can't use their auction house mechanic that this game is based on. Or advertise for their WoW add ons. The only thing epic about D3 is how much it blows.
83 Undead Mage
07/19/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Agmo
I for one am still enjoying the game a lot . My only complaint so far is the color of a dropped legendary PLEASE MAKE THEM EASIER TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 100% sure that I have missed some on the ground because they just don't stand out.

Why would it matter? Legendaries are about as good as white drops. Totally unusable.
83 Undead Mage
Very nice overall!

But please stop trying to justify always online DRM, it's terrible for everyone and it's not a necessity.
Even if the game was designed to be played with your friends there is no reason not to add LAN support, I fully understand your desire to protect your intellectual property, but DRMs only delay piracy and in the long run it hurts you more than you may realize.

Playing online should be a feature, an option.. not a requirement.

- Many players would be playing offline if they could, thats extra bandwidth and processing power that will cost you for as long as you keep your servers on;
- It hurts your reputation quite a bit, honestly I don't see your sales ever going near 8M again;
- It becomes too much of a hassle if you have problems with your servers (learn anything from your launch in south kr?);

Just my 2 cents.

I would be playing if they had an offline mode.. eel maybe i would be. I am certain I would lasted more than 10 days though.
The quickest way to fix the game is to listen to the players, and not the team who released this game thinking it was the greatest game ever made.

We know what makes a game good. We know what we want. We know what is fun.

We dont need you to tell us any of the above, because you were horribly wrong already. We played Diablo 2 for years. Not days, not weeks, Years. We know what Diablo is, and we think this game can get there.

We said "We dont like the direction the game is going". The response we got? The slap in the face known as Pony level. Pony level told us: "We dont really give a crap what your thoughts are."

The first step is admitting we are correct. The plot is bad. Itemization was never tested. The MMO aspects need to be removed (Rage timer, Potion cool down).

Staying ignorant to the opinions of the fans will only drive the game and Blizzards name further in the ground.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]