Diablo® III

Message from Mike Morhaime

I've gotta say a good deal of us have been starving for information and this post hits the spot, it's fantastic to hear that somethings brewing on the horizon. I'm not one for bashing a game because certain aspects need fine tuning. Many a game have launched with far greater issues and received no where near the amount of support Diablo III already has. This post reaffirms that Blizzard loves it's embryos and does care about the direction its love child is headed.

I for one am eagerly waiting to see where we go from here. :)
Also, someone made a good point on page one.

Loot.

Where's our acknowledgement that loot is generally terrible? ilvl63 items should not be generated with stats equivalent to ilvl50 items. It shouldn't be possible let alone likely, which it currently is. Top end gear needs to spawn with top end stats on a regular basis. It's fine for blue/white/gray loot to drop as garbage. We expect them to be trash. But a rare item should have stats that make it worthy of its status. As it is, rare items only deserve the title of 'Rare' because getting good enough stats to use or sell the item is excessively rare.

This, above all else, needs to be addressed and changed to make this game fun again.

I have noticed lots of people saying multiple things when pointing out the loot in diablo 3 is absolutely horrendous. This is absolutely true, and they were warned about it earlier on these forums pre-release even by the die hard fanbois.

However, even the haters are peddling what I think is the wrong argument here: That the items with top should always drop good stats. I've seen this argument made over and over again. This is simply and utterly wrong, and really a WoW-like argument in disguise. This ruins the fun of "Omg UNID ITEM MAYBE I GET SOMETIHNG?" Guaranteeing everytime something half decent(And ultimately contributing to "Godlys inflation) because its high level ultimately is undiablo like. There were plenty of high ilvl items in d2 that were ultimately garbage. PLENTY. Just do a baal run. Obviously not all of them(Godlies weren't impossible to find, unlike on d3) and many were usable to at least beat the game. But there were no "Pre-defined" godly rares in the game really until they had been found and found useful for a specific purpose(Aka someone tested out that crazy eth fools repair zerker and said hey its better than Ebotd) Part of the item hunt is that ALMOST ANYTHING can be good, but nothing other than perhaps some uniques are pre-defined as "good" This is the gap for unique items(Won't say legendary, get your WoW out of my diablo), and the author, like many others, believes it should be occupied rares for some reason when rares are supposed to be the crazy roll items that have a small chance of being uber godly.

The real problem with loot is that is only part of this argument: that yes, good items don't drop often enough/roll well enough. But again its more than that.

The games loot reads like a spreadsheet- a linear, WoW-like spreadsheet where you are always looking for more of the same stat. A completely different item isn't an upgrade, you have no things to attempt to balance like fhr or fcr. Some stats for you are simply always going to be better. This makes it simply boring and unimaginative when most of the game was about the crazy rolls on an item for which you could make an entire char on (which you can't at all in this game)

So yes, while most of the crap you find is worthless, it was like that in d2, just not so poorly tuned to the point where you never find ANYTHING. That should be adjusted, but should not be to the point where you almost always find something saleable simply by virtue of playing inferno. The real problem with this game is that the loot, while not dropping often enough and is usually crap, doesn't read like an item but a statstick/excel spreadsheet. All of the items are simply boring, nobody can tell you what they actually use, and that Legendaries currently have no place in this game(And if they "Buff them" in a linear way, this game won't get much more interesting despite orange text being more valuable) This is the real problem that this game faces with respect to loot.
I've gotta say a good deal of us have been starving for information and this post hits the spot, it's fantastic to hear that somethings brewing on the horizon. I'm not one for bashing a game because certain aspects need fine tuning. Many a game have launched with far greater issues and received no where near the amount of support Diablo III already has. This post reaffirms that Blizzard loves it's embryos and does care about the direction its love child is headed.

I for one am eagerly waiting to see where we go from here. :)

Where they go? Look at what they've already done. It's a pattern of debauchery and mishap.
I have been as hard on Blizzard as anybody but I have to admit this post has given me hope again. Pretty much all of my complaints have been touched on with this post. Thanks and I hope to see these changes soon.
90 Worgen Hunter
All that's great and all... but i feel like you're turning into companies like Games Workshop. Never really apologizing for any failures (I dont remember ever seeing an admission of guilt or an apology of any serious nature for the launch failures.)

Glad you guys are trying to fix the game, but feels like you're just another big company now.

I do appreciate the idea, and most of what was said though.
Edited by Jadedhobo#1867 on 7/19/2012 7:53 AM PDT
07/19/2012 07:42 AMPosted by Ozz
Here's what I get from this post. We hear you, and we're going to work hard, as we have always done, to keep making the game better.

I guess you missed that part where they "heard our feedback" and have "more class balancing to come like 1.0.3 had". Do you not understand that 1.0.3 was nothing but nerfs to classes? I hope your class is next. Goodbye WW barb. Cya 130k Wizard. You guys, in SPITE of our ridiculous drop system, are thwarting our AH plans. Back to Act 1 you go!!
The most important thing, is the one thing he didn't even touch on was WHEN?

Is 1.04 in a week?
Is 1.04 in a month?

A time frame would go a long way here.
07/19/2012 07:47 AMPosted by Enigma
I call BS. More false promises. The RMT spammers will stay, game will still be buggy, and drop rates will still suck.

^This
You really need incorporate an offline mode. Maybe allow people to play off with zero access for RMAH/AH with that character or allow to make an offline account.
8 Blood Elf Warrior
I enjoyed the part about 1.0.4...but...you used the word "balance" far too much for me to be comfortable...never the less though, I'll stick around a bit more to see how things play out...
This post did nothing for me, actions speak louder than words, I understand that mike morhaime can not publicly roast his own game, but to me this post just made it seem like blizzard is really downplaying or covering up the major problems with the game that are currently happening. Tons of players have quit, many of those players will never return. Telling me that the future holds promise is all well and good, but when are us customers going to start getting great content now, instead of a potentially empty promise of it happening in the future.

The fact that he addressed the community, big ole mike himself, tells me they know there is a major problem, but the first step to righting the ship that blizzard currently is, is transparency and honesty, when you are sugar-coating stuff and giving us the G-rated version of what the game has and needs, it tells me you aren't coming to the table in a genuine manner still.
Why doesn't Mike have a battle forum account?
I call BS. More false promises. The RMT spammers will stay, game will still be buggy, and drop rates will still suck.

If they really keep their promise, more balanced skills provide answer for present problems. If the drop rate still suck, okay, but better skills allows us to advance with average gear. But that is one big if. I will believe it once they show it to us.
8 Blood Elf Warrior
07/19/2012 07:51 AMPosted by frostybroc
You really need incorporate an offline mode. Maybe allow people to play off with zero access for RMAH/AH with that character or allow to make an offline account.

Like +2

Offline + LAN capability would be awesome!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]