Diablo® III

Message from Mike Morhaime

07/19/2012 05:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
You’ve seen some of that work already in patch 1.0.3, and you’ll see additional improvements with patch 1.0.4

That said, there are still improvements we believe we can make to expand the online experience and make co-op play even more rewarding

My experience is that a lot of people weren't and still aren't happy with 1.0.3 because you DIDN'T listen to feedback and worsened the game. Even if 1.0.4 is an improvement itself, it will not be considered an "additional" improvement, since almost every patch/update has not been an improvement in the eyes of many thus far.

Also, co-op has not been rewarding at all... it takes so much longer, even with a solid group, to kill anything that the experience curve is terrible. If the mobs are going to have more life, etc. then give us more exp. for killing them! The difficulty curve/health curve for additional players is a joke. Ex. I was mowing things down in NM A3 solo and saw a friend of mine come on so I quick-joined his game and he was in the same spot. The two of us, individually had no problems taking things down, but in a game together... forget it. I think we both died multiple times within just 15 minutes of playing together. I ended up leaving since it was best for both of us to just solo.

As a side note... having spent a lot of time in A4 recently, please get rid of the insta-tele-kiting-spell-spamming monsters. Half of A4 is filled with these... flying by, teleporting before you can hit, spamming the SAME spells we have to wait for a cooldown on... (teleport/meteor/something akin to tempest rush). It's really stupid when (blank) monster can teleport from off your screen and start smashing you, then teleport off the screen again to avoid your attacks...
from 0 to more than 6 million players across multiple continents within a few days

more interesting, more powerful, and more epic

I like this, and Blizzard. 2D games like this are some of my all-time favorites.
Edited by ZeroS#1976 on 7/19/2012 8:55 AM PDT
07/19/2012 08:28 AMPosted by jacobdoes
Just remember, you can't please everybody... or 95% of the people who post in these forums.

Which eventually correlates to a large amount of hearsay and word of mouth to friends and acquaintances at home and in other forums.
Patch 1.0.4 will also include new and improved Legendary items that are more interesting, more powerful, and more epic in ways you probably won’t be expecting

Uh, oh ... considering many people were disappointed because "their expectations were too high", is it a good idea to imply that our expectations will be surpassed? :) Looking forward to this interesting, powerful, epic loot, now with raised expectations.
Edited by qwertyxc#1831 on 7/19/2012 8:30 AM PDT
1.03 ruined the game. Overnight everyone beat the game and everyone was finding all of the items they needed to beat the game. There was nothing to do after beating the game so the game died. I don't know how you guys thought that it was a great idea to make the game incredibly easy, but now inferno is incredibly easy and there's no challenge left. If 1.04 makes it even easier you'll kill even more of the experience. When I said that before the patch everyone always said "you're just an elitist scum bag who wants to play a game that we can't beat. It needs to be beaten by everyone." Now all of those people quit because they beat the game and now all of the people I played with for the challenge of beating inferno are quitting because the AH is over saturated to the point where none of the items they find are good enough to sell and their character can easily clear inferno.
Edited by emitnulB#1421 on 7/19/2012 8:33 AM PDT
Can't wait for details!!!!!

/sips coffee
@Caz why do you want to play offline so bad? So you can hack your character? I don't get it the majority of people that can afford a computer to play this game and the $60 dollars that it costs have a constant internet connection available. Is it blizz's fault that they want to be able to prevent their game from being pirated? The Diablo I know has always been online. The only time i played D2 offline was to hack my characters, what other reason do you have? You can still play the game by yourself if you want to (I NEVER experience lag when I'm in a closed game by myself.) Just can't use hex editors and item generators and auto levelers. Online only is really the most trivial problem with the game.
Seriously, what is this?

Dear Blizzard, just let loot drop in my singleplayer game. All your problems would be solved.

But no, droprates have to be bound to the RMAH, eliminating every kind of hypothetical fun a single player would get out of this game. As long as you don't change this very basic fact there isnt going to be any change with how players perceive your game, your reputation will stay ruined.

It really is that simple. Loot = fun

PS: Please release statistics on the decline of players connecting to your servers, sorted by week.
Basically this was a "feel bad for us because we don't like playing either" message. How about an apology letter that says Diablo 3 is a sad, sorry excuse for a game?
Thanks Mike and thank you Blizzard.

I can't wait to see what the new changes will be! Feels so good to have faith rewarded....I know that in the near future, this game will reach it's full potential and these forums will turn around. Cannot wait for that day to come.
One other common topic we’ve seen in the forums is the always-connected experience, and the perception that the online requirement is nothing but an ineffective form of copy protection that has already been cracked. While we’ve never said that this requirement guarantees that there will be no cheating or game cracks, it does help us battle those problems (we have not found any fully functional cracks). More important to us is that the online requirement is critical for the long-term integrity of the game experience. I fully understand the desire to play Diablo III offline; however, Diablo III was designed from the beginning to be an online game that can be enjoyed with friends, and the always-online requirement is the best way for us to support that design. The effectiveness of the online elements -- including the friends list and cross-game communication; co-op matchmaking; persistent characters that you can use by yourself, with others, and in PvP; and some of our customer support, service, and security components -- is tied directly to the online nature of the game. These and other online-enabled features are essential to our design for Diablo III. That said, there are still improvements we believe we can make to expand the online experience and make co-op play even more rewarding, and this will remain one of our priorities moving forward. Overall, while there are some downsides to the online-only approach, I still believe this was the best long-term decision for the game.

This is nothing but bull-crap. There is absolutely no reason why the portions of the game that require an online connection can't function in the background without interrupting single player game play. For example, friends lists can update while online, if a player is not online than they do not...simple isn't it? If a player wants to play co-op, they need to be online...duh! Do Blizzard employees think their customers are completely incapable of playing a video game?
07/19/2012 08:29 AMPosted by emitnulB
1.03 ruined the game. Overnight everyone beat the game and everyone was finding all of the items they needed to beat the game. There was nothing to do after beating the game so the game died. I don't know how you guys thought that it was a great idea to make the game incredibly easy, but now inferno is incredibly easy and there's no challenge left. If 1.04 makes it even easier you'll kill even more of the experience.

dumbest post of the day.

this is completely opposite of my experience and all of the topics on the forums. i haven't heard that the majority of players are face rolling the game OR getting lots of amazing or even useable loot. It is still plenty challenging, as I cannot progress past the first 1 or 2 packs in A2. i know I'm not alone there either.
Edited by Gabriel#1162 on 7/19/2012 8:34 AM PDT
@emitnulB SHUT UP. Inferno is not easy to the majority of the player base that have lives and can't devote all day and night into farming gear. The majority of the player base is not losers like you who can devote unlimited hours, no wonder inferno is easy to you, GET A LIFE.
90 Tauren Hunter
While I disagree with some of the design decisions made for Diablo III, I appreciate your post.

Thank you for writing, Mike.

Why is anyone thanking him for repeating the same stuff that has been said before?

Sure, he mentions they have plans for improvements - but it's aesthetic fluff. There's no substance without detail. The detail may not have been here but it /should/ have been from another post from the developers and designers that went alongside this one.

EDIT: To be fair, even the above content wouldn't be sufficient to address underlying perceptions about the game's design that are skewed towards mousetrapping players into spending more money on pay-to-win (pay to see) content.

It's called being polite to the president of the company that make your favorite games. It's called being civilized, if that term has any meaning nowadays.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]