Diablo® III

900k Melee Build Act 3 Clear

Nice proof, epicol.

But anyway, while I'm agreeing mostly, I am not really on your side when it comes to healing measures. You're forgetting one thing that some people might do (like me) and that's skipping trash.

I'm using Wormhole for that obviously. And despite having 1k AR and 8.5k armor, you CAN get into trouble when you're in the middle of a gazillion ranged nukers (Fields of Slaughter for instance). You CAN handle this with "skill" as you would say - and you are right. But it's just consuming time. You want to be tough (I switch to shield for "traveling") and only cast stuff on trash mobs for resetting teleport (and thereby healing yourself if necessary).

So it is possible with little to no healing means, but it complicates things and hurts there, where it's most painful: your efficiency.

Sadly, at the end of the day I believe WW barbs win in terms of efficiency still - and that is all that matters.

I have no problems skipping trash. I even for the most part do it in the video... again: diamond skin spam should save you from all damage.

I've watched several videos of WW barbs. I still feel CM Wizards are much more efficient built properly. See: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079780878 This video is with pretty crappy gear; I've improved it and have been working on videos at the moment. I consistently complete A3 farming runs in 20 minutes or less using this. WW Barb is a close second, but I outdps and outspeed them.

TBH though, I can't say with a certainty which build is better: WW barb or WW wizard. I've yet to PLAY WW barb, only seen videos. And from what I've seen, WW wizard wins.

Problem is "should" save you ;) Yes, most of the time it is enough to have DS, but sometimes it isn't. It may be a preference thing though. I'm not really on the "you need x LoH to even be able to do it" bandwagon, but I wouldn't want to miss my 800ish tbh. Maybe with more crazy gear and therefore more damage, I'd switch over to LL instead of LoH (which works just fine when things are going your way).

I might be one of those melee wiz going for the wrong stats though. I never thought about upping my crit even further, while I of course see, that more is better always. I'm not rich and I'm losing interest in farming too slow for my liking (and in D3 in general^^), so I'm stuck with my more defensive oriented gear. Can't help it right now.

I will absolutely look into your Storm Armor spec (can't right now) because I used to do that in Act1 always for the giggles. If this is doable with reasonable gear (again, not rich, probably never will be) and affordable changes, I'll gladly give it a shot.

20min for all champs in act3 is ridiculous. I doubt one could even move through all zones in 20mins with no c/d on wormhole. But I have to watch your video first to judge what is to see there.
Edited by Este#2536 on 7/24/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Checked your video and tried it myself. I get bashed hard - as expected. Of course I'm used to ignore stuff besides firechains and arcane sentries. It's doing a hell lot of dps, hands down beats anything I've ever seen on my wiz.

But getting those gears is not exactly easy. And you're still very squishy. One mistake or one lag can kill you. And if you die you screw your efficiency.

If you're always super concentrated and have those stats (800ish AR and 4k armor) without Prismatic Armor, go for it. I can't do that yet and I don't like to die to trash mobs (which can actually happen, given the mentioned circumstances). I even tried to run it with my shield which gets me to the needed AR and armor (I have APoC on my weapon, too) and I still got facemelted by the first fast/molten/frozen Soul Lashers I encountered. With Prismatic Armor I loltank'ed them easily.

I still like the option. If you're up for the challenge, this build gives up a huge load of survivability and "comfort" for loads of DPS. Sounds like a legit tradeoff to me.

Still, check out a stream/recorded vid of Kripparian doing his WW thing. Running around with 60%+MS through all trash is not beatable without wormhole. And even with you lose time because you have to cast twisters while the barb just keeps running.

Of course Kripp (or any decent WW barb) has also gear of doom. If you'd get the same level (I assume 500++mil) and tried harder to speed up things, I'm sure it can come close. But can it beat a WW Barb running through anything? I'm still not convinced. Maybe a really close second when the gear is really insane. Killing the packs and the bosses, I'm sure the wiz can do as fast if not faster. But you can't reach the travel time I fear.

Of course you can always choose a farming path that suits you best (Kripp is doing all champs in act3 in about 40-50mins, depending on the dungeons and affixes)
Edited by Este#2536 on 7/24/2012 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I noticed that if I change the Frost Nova rune to Deep Freeze (+15% crit chance for hitting 5 targets), my chain reaction will reset faster than I can spam the key (or instantly).... never mind, you didn't hear anything... (turns around, and walks away slowly)
Reply Quote

If you're always super concentrated and have those stats (800ish AR and 4k armor) without Prismatic Armor, go for it.

This is why I choose to keep my runs to 20 mins tops. It DOES require a lot of concentration, but I also find it very fun - for that amount of time. Once the run gets to ~30min+ I start getting bored and lazy. I like logging on, doing a quick run, then doing other things.

20 min runs (keep 1/3 + azmo/cydaea) I find is the perfect amount of time to keep it fun.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kripparian's gear is worth over a billion! :D If only I had half of that :[
Edited by epicol#1228 on 7/24/2012 3:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

If you're always super concentrated and have those stats (800ish AR and 4k armor) without Prismatic Armor, go for it.

This is why I choose to keep my runs to 20 mins tops. It DOES require a lot of concentration, but I also find it very fun - for that amount of time. Once the run gets to ~30min+ I start getting bored and lazy. I like logging on, doing a quick run, then doing other things.

20 min runs (keep 1/3 + azmo/cydaea) I find is the perfect amount of time to keep it fun.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kripparian's gear is worth over a billion! :D If only I had half of that :[

I actually like your idea. Maybe I should try shorter runs as well. Makes perfect sense.

And yeah, it's hard to tell with Kripp's stuff. He changed a lot for crazy amounts of gold but I wasn't counting that, because he actually kinda stepped back in terms of perfect farming gear, to get more PVP oriented stuff (why ever). But yeah his gear is crazy.

Oh and I just noticed, that I forgot to switch to Enchantress and my DS rune - that would explain why I got bashed so badly. So I guess I'll take another look at the build. I really would love to pull it off - we'll see I guess.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/24/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Edstroyer
I noticed that if I change the Frost Nova rune to Deep Freeze (+15% crit chance for hitting 5 targets), my chain reaction will reset faster than I can spam the key (or instantly).... never mind, you didn't hear anything... (turns around, and walks away slowly)

Whats your base crit?
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 11:41 AMPosted by DanSkyWalker
How much was your storm crow again? I didn't get to ask you that day it looks really nice.

I bought it for 5m.
Reply Quote

Whats your base crit?

45% base, so it goes up to 60% when activated. With 20 APoC, basically, my soar-spamming-fingers cannot keep up with spamming enough chains. Only problem is: enemies don't survive long enough for me to keep it up ;). At 60% you see a lot more crit damage on the screen, and the chains are going off at about 4 blasts /sec.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/24/2012 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What happens if you change cold snap to deep freeze and then evocation to glass cannon? Seems like you could up your dps while still getting off a lot of crits. Wouldn't work to well against bosses though I guess.
Reply Quote
07/25/2012 07:55 AMPosted by Oggog
What happens if you change cold snap to deep freeze and then evocation to glass cannon? Seems like you could up your dps while still getting off a lot of crits. Wouldn't work to well against bosses though I guess.

Situational. Either of those changes will work just fine. But I find this build to be more or less optimal. Evocation means 15% more Explosive Blasts == more damage; this might equal to maybe a 9 or 10% overall damage increase... whereas glass cannon is a flat 15% with the drawback of lowered resists. Cold snap I interchange with Bone Chill very frequently (though nowadays I use Bone Chill much more often)
Reply Quote
Do bone chill, glass cannon, and cold blooded all stack? That's a 50% increase in damage if so. Not sure how that compares to the loss of the 15% more EBs. I guess though that it's not really a straight comparison cause you can have the two and still use evocation over glass cannon so your point still stands.

Also, the way bone chill is worded, the enemies should be taking 15% more from allies as well. Not sure if that's the case though.
Edited by Oggog#1176 on 7/25/2012 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Try get Crit chance >45 and Crit damage> 300, that's why so ppl post using melee built with 10k dps, they are killing act3 ellite. But FYI you have to be season with this built and it's not like you can stand at the fire or plaque and keep mashing 1234 .
Reply Quote
View profile
I've come to conclusion this has more to do with how cheap defense is in this game rather than DPS everyone wants or CM being OP.

Here is a ranged wiz, no CM, act 4 clear with only blues and only 4000 DPS beat act 4 diablo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZp1F7Ex2I

Last night I myself bought far better gear than you for only 1.25M and was running Ghom better than my 100M wiz can.

1.25M buys you

4954 Armor with shield (mine is 4012 w/o)
1264 INT (Mine is 1640)
583 VIT (mine is 712)
802 All resistance (Mine is 650)
41% crit (mine is 46%)
19 APOC (mine is 20)
no loh (mine is 750)
105% CHD with native CHD non socketed 250K gold wizardspike dagger ( mine is 244%)
5% AS (from Wizard spike) (mine is 18%)
DPS 10920 (mine is 39884)

You could probably do any wiz build for < 1.25M with those high resists and armor above.

I am running archon with it right now.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 7/25/2012 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the video Epicol, taught me how to play the cm build and I made it through act 3. Having said that this entire thread is pretty damned sad. To be talking about what kind of gear you need to BUY is pretty messed up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]