Diablo® III

Monk "Combos"

100 Night Elf Druid
The monk class is said to have "combos", but in reality they have 3 hit auto attacks
Which is actually just boring in my opinion anyway, but even if you don't agree with that opinion, one fact is for certain. Monks are by far the most "generic" feeling class in the game. They don't feel like they have any cool tricks with them or very good skill synchronous. Their skills are there because they needed something to fill the roll of a tank/support/damage class.

So instead of making some rant about how the whole class should be changed because of points 1-50 i'm just going to make a rant on one aspect of the monk which is more... misleading, to say the least.

Change the "combo abilites" to actually combo together in a useful way. As it stands now you can transition one primary attack into another, as in you can make the first 2 attacks with Deadly Reach and then Crippling Wave will preform it's 3rd attack.

But there is no real benefit in doing so or reason to even consider doing so, mostly because all of the effects of the abilities and their runes are so lopsided. Most of the runes actually state that "the third strike" does something. So if all that matters is the 3rd strike then why even make them combos? Just make the 3rd attack the only attack and your basically getting just as much use out of it, as well as generating just as much spirit.

So there are two main ways i see to adjust this to make the experience more enjoyable, one less extreme than the other.

[the less extreme idea]
1) Make monks build additional spirit and/or deal more damage for combining primary abilities.

So basically make what i described in the italicized part beneficial and worth while doing through a simple numbers boost. Enough of one that would make you consider putting two primary abilities on your bars for another reason than the 3rd attack effect.

[more extreme idea]
2) Nearly complete REVAMP of the runes for primary attacks. Basically make them less lopsided as to give the player a reason to use alternating primary attacks.

There are a few examples of this now, but the system is still very lopsided. If you take FoT with Thunderclap, you get a small teleport on your first attack, which can be used to close distance in order to CW. That's probably the best example of what i mean in action that is already in the game.
Reply Quote
But there is no real benefit in doing so or reason to even consider doing so, mostly because all of the effects of the abilities and their runes are so lopsided. Most of the runes actually state that "the third strike" does something. So if all that matters is the 3rd strike then why even make them combos? Just make the 3rd attack the only attack and your basically getting just as much use out of it, as well as generating just as much spirit.

While I kind of understand what you're trying to get at here, I totally disagree with the "no benefit part" of using combos with your primaries. True, some runes simple just don't work well together, but not all of them can. For example, The Thunderclap Rune works with just about any other primary Rune. Teleport to the enemy, dealing more damage in the first two strikes, which also complete the animations faster, before increasing your armour with deadly reach keen eye.

I wouldn't say most of the runes that have an activation after the third strike, 50% is more accurate, since to my memory, deadly reach has two and crippling wave has two or three. I think thats totally fine and gives you plenty of options. Another big incentive to combo strike is for the passive. The buff stacks, and the description is a bit miss leading. You only need to use that primary once to get the bonus, and then you can hold down your other primary to keep it refreshed.

There maybe probably a few runes which i definitely think could use some love, but I believe the combo system is fine as it is.
Reply Quote
Or maybe they meant combos as in how we can (for example) DS into mobs, continue with thunderclap, blind them briefly with BF, supported by Serenity (for soaking) or Tempest Rush (as a getaway).

Another way I can see it, is if you have 3 sequential attacks in a mixed mob (e.g. Fallen Grunts with Fallen Overlords), you can choose to hit 2 Grunts followed by attacking the Overlords on the third hit, and repeat. When a Grunt is killed on the second attack, it contributes to the third hit landing on the Overlord.

Am I making any sense?
Reply Quote
Or maybe they do chain together....

Another monk and I have been playing with this, it appears there is something there. We are getting results that just can't be random. The proof is in the huge numbers we are seeing and the dead we leave behind. "Combat logs would be huge in this!" hint to Blue!! can we please have some sort of combat logging?? The monk strikes are so fast and a bunch of numbers all in the millions+, just blur together. Makes theory-crafting harder than it needs to be.

With the new set bonuses, it is so fast, it is hard to keep the timing but we are managing ;)

Enjoy
Edited by ReverendXero#1554 on 4/15/2015 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Perhaps it's worth mentioning no one ever uses Combo Strike even at a 1% level amongst all Monk characters in play. That alone screams a need for re-vamping to some degree, or flatout remove it. Since combos are a major highlight of the martial arts basis Monks were developed on, I'm assuming Blizzard is split between making it "work" and leaning towards scrapping it.

As it is now, Combo Strike really serves no real purpose outside of claiming you have an intricate combo system that no one even uses. Not too sure how I'd want Combo Strike to evolve for realistic play, but I'm certain the current setup is simply not acceptable. Seriously guys, don't defend an obsolete relic of the initial game.
Reply Quote
With the existence of Combination Strike and Mythic Rhythm - I dare say there might just be a combo system in play that just has yet to be discovered by the masses. "There are many secrets in Sanctuary, not all of them have been uncovered."
100 fist
100 fist
Crippling Wave
Tail Lash

....or something
Reply Quote
combination strike is a completely inane passive. In other words you'd have to waste 3 slots on generators just to get a 10% increase in damage for 3 seconds. Absurd.
Reply Quote
ReverendXero necros a 3 year old post, gets one respond, 2 months later he necros it again.
Ok we get it. You want combination strike to be useful.
Reply Quote
As of the moment the game build diversity is unbalanced. I've tried alot of builds and this one i have is the only one that makes sense. dealing 1b damage.

But to your post there is another that works, I tried but still not as good.

- equip convention of elements.
- use combination strike.
- with 4 spirit generators, have each in sequence of the ring.
- one element you can't cover so that 4 seconds is just meh dmg
- now have mystic ally for damage boost
- 2 rainment sets, just to have 25% atk spd and 300% dmg on spirit generators
- 2 inna's for mystic ally buff.

and boom.. its like 150% elemental damage + combination strike.
its crazy timing and good damage

but like i said, game is so linear. I feel all my damage spirit spenders are useless just cause rainment just does a better job.
Edited by Balean#1567 on 6/25/2015 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]