Diablo® III

***SPOILERS*** dark knight rises thoughts?

View profile
How did u like the movie and or what did u wish or wish wasn't in it? Personally for me the movie was really good.

A couple things though. I thought there was gonna be little hints or references to the Riddler in the movie (yes I know he wasn't gonna be a main part of it) but I thought they were gonna throw little clues in it...(or maybe they did...) Throughout the movie I thought that one dude who kept showing up every now and then was the Riddler, you know the guy that Catwoman was conversing with in the diner toward the beginning. But I guess it couldn't be him when he fell through the ice.

2ndly where professor Crane (the Scarecrow) played that small part. I just couldn't help but just picture that being the Joker had Heath Ledger not died. R.I.P. I mean that would have been the PERFECT setting for a small part from the Joker.

Other than that the movie was pretty damn amazing. I was tired as hell seeing it too so I'm sure I didn't catch on to a bunch of things had I been 100% awake but I had a busy day yesterday and usually am in bed by the time I was watchin that movie lol.
Reply Quote
Man, seems like this movie is getting so many outstanding reviews. I guess it just wasn't *great* for me. Maybe TDK was too good, so this 3rd movie couldn't match my expectations... or maybe I need to see this movie again to fully understand it.

Overall I just felt that TDKR was a strange movie. So many characters, unfinished plotlines, weird dialogue (and long dialogue), forced emotional moments, and more.

I think what made the 2nd movie so strong is the antagonist (Joker), and how he builds himself up (including the great opening scene). Here we are led to believe it's Bane, and then the twist happens (and while the twist was pretty good, I feel that it basically destroyed our expectations of Bane). I also find it funny how the Russian scientist just makes the reactor become a nuclear bomb in like 10 minutes :/

Meanwhile, the whole city turns into anarchy for months (and that weird court-room is setup), of which the US government tries a one-off special forces rescue... but alas it goes nowhere.

Characters just keep appearing and moving around at will. And what about the random love scenes? Christian Bale and Marion Cotillard (out of nowhere at his house lol), and then his kiss with Anne Hathaway at the end... just not what I'd expect from the Memento-quality writing/direction of the Nolan brothers.

The more I try and remember from this movie, the more ridiculous I feel haha. Thoughts?

P.S. and then there's the whole Robin thing...
Edited by Onetwo#1132 on 7/21/2012 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I was almost expecting people to compare TDKR with TDK like how people compare D3 to D2 lelz.

OMG TDKR SUCKS BANE <<<<<< JOKER. NOLAN NEEDS TO APOLOGIZE FOR THE FLOP OF THE CENTURY. AREN'T YOU THANKFUL?!?!11!?

The Robin thing was just for a laugh I think. I did get confused a bit on a couple of scenes due to the time skipping. Also, I thought all the bad guys were too powerful except in scenes in which they had to lose so the movie could end.

Note that I do like TDK the best out of the trilogy :P But after TDKR was done I was just like "Wow, that's movie's pretty good." To me the Joker is Batman's ultimate villian, and that TDK was overall done better, but TDKR was still very enjoyable for me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I thought it was ok ....

The Joker is by far the best villian out of the three. DKR was fun to watch, but it doesn't have that punch "The Dark Knight" has.

And I honestly missed about half of Bane's dialogue. Some of his lines were near unintelligible for me due to the device on his mouth which makes his voice super bassy. When they previewed the airplane scene at CinemaCon earlier this year, there were many comments on how Bane's dialogue was hard to understand and they re-did his dialogue for that segment. I was able to tell a difference. Unfortunately, the rest of the film didn't get that treatment.

It is an enjoyable film and full of action. But "The Dark Knight" is much more memorable for me.
Edited by Dogpaws73#1126 on 7/21/2012 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I thought it was ok ....

The Joker is by far the best villian out of the three. DKR was fun to watch, but it doesn't have that punch "The Dark Knight" has.

And I honestly missed about half of Bane's dialogue. Some of his lines were near unintelligible for me due to the device on his mouth which makes his voice super bassy. When they previewed the airplane scene at CinemaCon earlier this year, there were many comments on how Bane's dialogue was hard to understand and they re-did his dialogue for that segment. I was able to tell a difference. Unfortunately, the rest of the film didn't get that treatment.

It is an enjoyable film and full of action. But "The Dark Knight" is much more memorable for me.

Yeah I agree about Bane. He sounded like Deckard Cain to me at moments haha.
Reply Quote
Great movie. It's a bit edgy when Batman was fighting Bane. It almost appear like Batman is gonna be dead any moment. But in the end, he won. I was half expecting Batman and Bruce Wayne to die at the end of the movie. But was actually surprised he's dating Catwoman at the end.

Sad for the saga to end. There are no future Batman movie in the schedule. There are scant hopes that in 4-5 years, the Batman series will be reactivated with Robin at the side...but no time soon.
Reply Quote
I could not stop laughing in the theater when Batman was yelling at Bane "Where is it?" "Where is the trigger?"

It's exactly like "The Dark Night Kills Christmas" "Why do you want to kill me? Why do you want to kill me?"
Reply Quote
1) Bane's voice was horrendous. It was difficult to understand him and he sounded like a crazy, drunk Russian clown. Bane should have had a despairing voice with some sort of accent originating from South America. Perhaps a Spanish or Portuguese flair.

2) Catwoman was a throwaway character who added very little to the movie and I never felt emotionally invested in her. Why she betrayed Batman and led him straight to Bane I have no idea and it made little sense. Her kiss at the end with Batman and romance was forced at best.

3) Bane's character was cast too similar to the Joker. Bane is not the Joker. He does not want to watch the world burn and is not interested in throwing away his life in a nuclear explosion. Joker is chaos. Bane is anger. Bane is a pissed off guy but he also seeks to be the best, both physically and mentally. He's a much more interesting character than TDKR portrays.

I just don't think this came off that well in the movie. Bane felt very similar to the Joker in TDK to me. Too similar for my liking.

4) WHY IS BANE AGAIN PIGEONHOLED INTO A BRUTE WITH LITTLE BRAINS?! Bane is a GENIUS! He is one of Batman's most cunning enemies. He is the brain with the brawn. This is why he is such a dangerous foe. Instead, we get at the end of the movie that Bane is just working for some lady who I can't even remember her name.

TDK did an infinitely better job at showing Bane is more than just brawns than Batman and Robin but not enough for me. People left TDK knowing "wow, Joker is Batman's match in intelligence". I'm not so sure people left TDKR feeling the same about Bane.

5) Ra's al Ghul's daughter was the dumbest character in the entire movie. She is born in a prison due to her to douche Dad and rightfully hates him for it. Yet, after his death all of a sudden she must take up his cause? Please.

6) The first half of the movie was a lot better than the 2nd half. I think Nolan should have played more with Batman dealing with the city's hatred of him and his pursuit by the police.

Nitpicking:

I) The bomb should have just been a standard fission bomb that Bane somehow acquired and brought to Gotham. The fusion reactor becoming a bomb and all was poorly done. Batman Begin's microwave the water plot was worse though.

II) The pacing and timing was very awkward. We go from 5 months until the bomb goes off to 23 days, to 12 hours, to 10 minutes. It was very confusing and Batman's recovery is all the more unbelievable given the time frame.

III) The first half of the movie felt a lot more dark. Bane knows who Batman is, Bruce is just not the same Batman he used to be physically and mentally (Alfred even says so), Bruce loses his fortune, and Batman's secret gear falls into Bane's hands. I like my 'Dark Knight' bleak and dark. TDK did this much better to me.

IV) I'm glad Nolan chose to not use Venom. It does NOT work in movies. You can do it in games, tv shoes, comics, but it's just awkward in movies.

V) The whole prison thing was poorly done but I can't really articulate why.

VI) Bane trying to finish off Batman with a shotgun to the head was totally out of character. He never uses a gun all movie.

VII) I did not like Hathaway's long hair. She should have cut it shorter. She was also way too thin. I mean she was a twig really.

VIII) I really dislike Nolan's obsession with playing long dramatic music very loudly throughout all his big flicks.

Conclusion: Overall I still enjoyed TDKR and I thought it was a good movie. He really did an excellent job with the trilogy as a whole. I loved that he stressed that Batman is an image, a myth, a hope, an ideal and that was Batman's true strength. Bruce Wayne is just a man, Batman is much more than that. None of the other Batman movies get this message across.
Reply Quote
So far I've seen it twice (2 matinees so thankfully hasn't put too much of a dent on my wallet hehe) and I have to say I liked it the first time and it gets even better with the 2nd viewing. I'll try to list a few key thoughts on the movie and series in general:

1) I honestly don't get what all the hate is for bane's voice. Maybe two things he said were hard to make out on my first viewing but I still got the gist and I had no trouble my 2nd viewing. Marion, I'm not sure if you have an ear for accents but I'd say bane's voice seemed to have a slight Caribbean accent, albeit muffled with the device, which fits perfectly for who he's supposed to be.

2) I think too many people hold TDK on a pedestal, largely because of the mystique that built up around Ledger's unfortunate death (I'm in the minority but I actually feel that eckhart's Harvey Dent was a much more interesting character). TDK is a great movie but the reality is that it was far from perfect.

For one thing, it feels long. As much as I loved watching it, I was checking the clock around the time the joker broke out of the police station. It feels disjointed; like the joker's escapades before and after his initial capture are two different escapades and would be in two different comic arcs. I feel TDKR had a much better flow and I never checked the time once until the credits rolled.

I think it's too early to say which movie is better but both are absolutely excellent movie.

3) The one complaint I have that isn't nitpicking is why are bane and talia waiting to get blown up by the bomb? I knew they'd sacrifice those fighting for them without much hesitation and they'd even sacrifice themselves once the bomb was in serious danger, but if everything went to plan why would they kill themselves?
Reply Quote
82 Dwarf Shaman
I freekin' loved it. More so then TDK.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been the Joker being released.
Reply Quote
I absolutely loved it! One thing though: why was Bane's voiceover SO DAMNED LOUD!?? They really didn't do a good job making it seem like it wasn't overdubbed.
Edited by Fëanor#1385 on 7/30/2012 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I liked it (although 2nd is still my fave).

A couple of things that didn't quite work for me:

Bane's voiced sounded like Sean Connery channeling Darth Vader to me, and it was actually distracting. To me it didn't really fir the character.

Also, Marion Cotillard I thought was great until she turned into the villain, and then the performance didn't really work for me (especially her death scene). I think she is a great actress, this role just didn't seem to totally gel with her...

All-in-all though I think it was a strong finish for a great trilogy...
Reply Quote
@ Marion. Thank you, I don't think I could have explained my thoughts on TDKR any better. I agree completely. I was starting to believe humanity had embraced mediocrity in terms of media until I read this thread. The movie kept on getting these rave reviews and it was starting to become a little frustrating, as if somehow I was the only person who recognizes a good movie these days. While you'd think being a special snowflake with supposedly impossible standards would be an ego boost, it's not. It's actually kind of lonely and makes you feel like something is wrong with you xD

I'm glad other people saw this to be an average movie at best, and deemed the previous two Batman movies superior in every way. Faith restored.
Edited by Gatelttab#1911 on 8/12/2012 3:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]