Diablo® III

Will a Real MMORPG please stand up.

So I tried guild wars 2 and was not impressed once again a MMO comes out and provides no “forced” socializing you can just solo everything. WoW in my opinion has ruined MMORPG for what seems like to long now. I started on and ended on final fantasy 11 where you were forced to level grind with friends and strangers over multiple platforms (pc,360,ps2, ps3 something ff11 also did that no mmo did) to progress. Something where it was more of a time sync and the reward felt great and the people made it worthwhile to grind for hours which I understand isn’t overly exciting to some and is why WoW is so popular cause it can be picked up by the casual gamer and can solo till the level cap, I want that time sink where if you played ff11 you know there was crazy spawn times(12-72 hour windows) for HNMs and epic battles that would ensue and amazing loot if you claimed over the competition and then killed the monster with your linkshell (guild). I had to give up ff11, but now I wish I never did. I would go back to it but I spent so much time on that game in the 7 years I played that I just don’t think I want to do it again I rather just reminisce in the good times I had. Anyway I’m posting this cause I’m looking for a MMORPG similar to ff11 that is coming out soon or within the next couple years, and hoping that this type of MMO didn’t die completely. So if anyone has suggestions of a MMORPG like FF11 or a MMO they think is good that is coming out soon please post and enlighten me, and save me from these “MMO” solo playing world.
Reply Quote
a
Edited by Ravenot14#1613 on 7/24/2012 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
no thanks kiddos.

i'm fine not playing another everquest that forced me to grind 6 hours for a level in the 40s ever again.
Reply Quote
Yes, WoW and other MMOs are accessible to a wider group of people because you can choose to play alone or with a group... but that doesn't mean the guy who is playing alone is somehow inhibiting your ability to play in a group or with friends. Additionally, if you want to simply grind kills in a group for leveling then go do that. Again, nothing is stopping you from playing your game the way you want.

...Or you could go play Ragnarok Online or any other number of Korean MMOs that have entered the scene over the last decade. They're all grind-heavy.
Reply Quote
Sucks you didn't like GW2. Sure it doesn't force socialization but I experienced far more socialization during the beta than I have in any MMO in years. Experiences may vary of course.

I don't count troll chat (trade).
Reply Quote
I think grinding gives yourself more accomplishment and feel more rewarding, forces you to be social and make friendships with otherwise people you would never even meet in the first place which allows putting you out there with more friends and makes endgame even more fun. I enjoyed it and i do realize its not a popular opinion. I'm just hoping this type is not dead and someone knows of something that's coming out.
Reply Quote
Maybe once FFXIV is re-released it will be worth playing. Started it and didn't like the systems they had in place. It made the game harder than it had to be. Plus it required ridiculously high end hardware to run smoothly. Just really bad code.
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Ullikumi
Maybe once FFXIV is re-released it will be worth playing. Started it and didn't like the systems they had in place. It made the game harder than it had to be. Plus it required ridiculously high end hardware to run smoothly. Just really bad code.

what do you mean re-released ? What are there plans with it?
Reply Quote
07/24/2012 05:58 PMPosted by ArcofDarknes

what do you mean re-released ? What are there plans with it?

Square acknowldged the fact that the game was a bug ridden failure and have been dedicating much of their efforts into patching/revising the game for free to 2.0. Should include a major overhaul of UI, gameplay, and importantly the graphics engine and coding. I will say this, when at a standstill, the game looks AMAZING! Just don't move lol. My computer specs are very nice. Plus a GTX 680 should not be suffering... not when I can play BF3 at max setting 1080P with very rare dips below 60fps.
Reply Quote
life's the best mmo ever.

But i agree, gw2 is just a shame. So much work on quite a few things like the world for one, and yet no epic feeling to it whatsoever, i can't see myself zerg around for more than a few more days, a month at best.
Reply Quote
I was watching my roommate play, and he was doing this quest where he had to climb this gnarly tree. It was pretty epic and looked challenging. If he fell he died. When he got really high up, every jump made us both hold our breath. When he finally reached the top he was awarded with some nice loot and a skill point.

I thought that was awesome for an MMO. WoW doesn't have anything like that as far as I'm aware, and it has me interested in exploring GW2.

This has been one of the most surprising features for GW2 to me. The vistas weren't in the game during the beta weekends as far as I recall. At first I thought they were just a cool little perk encouraging exploration and a way to show off some of their incredible scenery but some of the exploration and jumping puzzles have been fantastic. It really adds a huge rewarding feeling to just exploring the world.
Reply Quote
View profile
Have you tried Eve: Online? You can't do too much in that game without support, and a lone player is easy pickings in any low-sec territory, you might want to try that.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
08/30/2012 10:51 AMPosted by steveman0
The vistas weren't in the game during the beta weekends as far as I recall

It requires some thinking on some of them. You'll be amazed how many people can't get some of them.
Reply Quote
Sorry you didn't like GW2. I love it. Hope you find something you like.
Reply Quote
There is something seriously wrong with anyone that plays a game just to be with others.
Reply Quote
Since when did MMO = forced grouping/reliance on other people? It only implies that you aren't the only one out there in the game world...as far as I know, there's no set in stone rule saying you HAVE to actually associate with these other people if you don't feel like it. I like how GW2 is set up. You can join fights with other people, but you don't have to be buddy buddy with them, and most of them mind their own business and go about their merry way once the enemy is killed, and that's just fine by me.

The only time I'm interested in being in an organized group is with friends.
Reply Quote
People just dont know how to deal with an mmo without"we're waiting for our healer/tank/dps to get on" isht.People like to feel important,and in Guild Wars your only as important as the person beside you helping you out.I love not having to race someone to a kill/craftingspot.or "you didnt put out X amount of dps,so you're garbage isht.Just keep playing WoW,and running act 3 in D3.GW2 is not for anyone that wants to do something different in a mmo.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]